A6 C6 tailgate drain

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
Goys/Gals,
Is there a drain hole in the tailgate itself?

Noticed tailgate halves of tail lights misting up from inside and decided to investigate.
Foam seal was moist and water was slooshing inside the tailgate, as I was closing it.

For a quick fix, decided to add rubber seal I've used on tailgate seal itself.
As the seal was B profile, it was too thick and caused the lamp not to sit flush with tailgate surface.
Sliced it off to leave me.with thin I profile and it did helped but lamp still is not flush.

Still got the water in the tailgate so will need to strip it down to investigate further but suspect also faulty seal around the rear wiper motor
d9f6ead757700396c61bac313301ca18.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

The early models had problem with washing jet pipe entering the tailgate. Check that pipe if cracked.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KrisKrk
Hosepipe & a friend to find the fault.

Reactions: SpecialWarr
Thank you guys for kind tips.
Will check the washer hose but for now, I have stripped the tailgate of trims so I can get that water out.

I have inserted cloths in each corner and closed & open the tailgate several times.
Cloths were soaking wet.
Managed to get it all out so no more slooshing.

Now is to wait for the lamps to dry out and evaporate any internal moisture.
Could take them home to dry out overnigjt in room temperature or in storage with boiler in but have no other car or replacement lamps. Defo will not get up earlier to fit these back in and don't want DIS errors either, if driven without them or rain in.

Will drive around with heating max on and see what happen.

Will monitor eventual further water ingress.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Open the tail gate. On the lower edge you will see two black grommets at each corner. Remove these and any excess water should drip out.

just be careful as they are fragile.

Open the tail gate. On the lower edge you will see two black grommets at each corner. Remove these and any excess water should drip out.

Thank you for that.
Think I've seen them there and wondered if they are covering holes through to the inside if the tailgate.

Have the tailgate trim off atm and looking at any eventual water ingress from elsewhere. Took both of the tailgate pistons off to make sure, boot is closing properly. Time will tell

Sent from H P20 PRO

That was spot in tip, mate. Thank you.

Both points
1. water just drained out through them holes
2. These plugs are fragile. One completely broken, second one, just partly

Weather doesn't help to set it out so will have to wait bit longer

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: abmat
No probs. Glad I could help.

with mine you could hear the water sloshing in the tailgate when you opened it. Did this and it hasn’t returned since (2+ years)

I'm hoping to investigate possible ingress.
Think it is via poor seal on the lamps I got from another user, as second hand. Lamps are fine but the seal wasn't looking too good on them.
I did add another layer of rubber window seal but it got lamps sticking out of the tailgate surface much. Maybe because the rubber wasn't bending on lamp corners properly or got slipped somewhere.

Will remove lamps to take that extra seal off and dry it all off. Put new seal, reinstall again with those plugs blocked and observe.
If that doesn't help, silicone will be my last option. Clear one on the lamp and tailgate connection and in the gaps.
They don't need to be removed, right?

Don't want to leave these drain plugs open without solving the problem

Sent from H P20 PRO

Reactions: daytonamart
Right,
Stripped out the tailgate lamps again last night.
Removed slightly worn out gaskets and used B profile rubber gaskets but stick them in the lamp cavity.

Than, used E profile rubber gasket on the holding brackets and tailgate internal part of the lamp cavity, where brackets mount and hold on. This provided with more fixing force and allowed lamps to sit flush on the tailgate.

Lamps are sitting better now and should not allow any water ingress.

NS lamp had a bit wet old gasket around the top part so suspecting that was the problem.

It rains today so good opportunity to check it.
I have plugged the tailgate drain holes to allow any water show in the tailgate, if any will still come in.

Time will tell but got the gut feeling I will soon resolve the issue
5c1405f606422d4a9a69ee11888b7afb.jpg
c25b971d1806b5e0606f5084341cd50c.jpg

Sent from H P20 PRO

******!
Didn't worked anything and water still get in.

Think have to spend some time locked in the boot, when it rains outside and observe for obvious leak.
Wonder what would Police said, if passed by?
Sorry officer, trying to see the leak source?
Hahaha

Sent from H P20 PRO

Got the oem gaskets from West London stealership 4F9-945-192 & 4F9-945-191 for tailgate lamps as a last hope.
Just applied them in without tapping in to place to allow adhesion in correct places of pressure.

Took the back windscreen surround trim and inspected further for any leakage signs but nothing.
That makes me believe that, these lamps were the whole culprit.

Awaiting rain to confirm

While I was inspecting the tailgate, noticed one corner of the Sline package tailgate spoiler slightly lifted off.
Now, SE models don't have these spoilers so there should be no holes that spoiler is attached through, right?
From google search, these are just stuck on.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Was tinting rear lights few weeks ago and thought of doing the third stop light also.
Once finally removed the light (pita that is to remove), noticed perished rubber seal on it.
That might have been also a reason of water ingress into the tailgate.

Lamp replaced and so far so good

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk