A6 Avant update of software - CarPlay MHI2

WRST

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought my first Audi, an A6 Avant 2018, and was wondering if it's possible to update the firmware so I can get features like Apple CarPlay? Also, possible to update the maps to 2020/2021?

My unit are of this version:
IMG 3083

(Swedish car) - So looking for guides or something if it's possible to do by myself or do I have to go through Audi?

Audi will upgrade to the smartphone version of the MIB software, but only for a very small range of cars. Its quite expensive, so give your dealer a call and see if they can do it for you. You may need your VIN number.

The alternative is to go via a 3rd party, which is what I did with my 1016 S7. There are a number of people who can do this remotely. I used the guy in this tread here

Reactions: Lyons
In the UK (at least) CarPlay/Android Auto was only offered from MY 2017 onwards (mid 2016 manufacture) although it was possible to add it to 2016 models via a third party as RAF_S7 has done. As your car is a 2018 model it should be very straight forward, although not something a dealer may be willing to undertake for you. Note the C7 does not support wireless CarPlay.

Likewise with map updates in the UK customers got 3 years Audi Connect for free and included in that was 5 updates to the maps within the 3 year period. These were done either OTA or via the MyAudi website (not the app). If you go to the MyAudi website you shoudbe abe to see your options (you will need to register if you have not done so already). If that does not work your Audi dealer should be able to sell you the map update. There are others who claim to offer map updates but be careful to ensure youa re biying from a legitimate source

2018 car should be able to have a genuine Audi smartphone interface activation completed via a dealership or authorised 3rd party. Updating firmware alone will not get you ASI, just bug fixes and performance enhancements etc.

there are companies who can perform unofficial activations of ASI, myself included.

The following is a cut and paste of some text I attach to all related posts I make:

There are no two ways about it! There are a lot of "professionals" out there performing unofficial activations. While we always tried to stay away from offering these we now have to in order to compete in todays marketplace.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Unofficial Activations are carried out within a vehicle's control modules & systems, using the same software & coding as genuine activations however during general updates for vehicle software (for example while servicing or during repair works) any unofficial works may be overwritten & removed. Unofficial Activations of this type have no warranty & may invalidate parts of a vehicle's warranty. The trade-off between Official vs Unofficial is cost, an unofficial activation is cheaper.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

VAG Car Coding™ Limited does not use software downloaded from internet forums. We don't use pre-made solutions & templates complied by others. We don’t use others to complete our works, everything is IN HOUSE. We have taken the time to fully reverse engineer and test the systems involved & create individual code for everything we do, and because we fully understand the process from end to end we are able to recover from any issues.

Last edited:
2018 car should be able to have a genuine Audi smartphone interface activation completed via a dealership or authorised 3rd party. Updating firmware alone will not get you ASI, just bug fixes and performance enhancements etc.

there are companies who can perform unofficial activations of ASI, myself included.

The following is a cut and paste of some text I attach to all related posts I make:

There are no two ways about it! There are a lot of "professionals" out there performing unofficial activations. While we always tried to stay away from offering these we now have to in order to compete in todays marketplace.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Unofficial Activations are carried out within a vehicle's control modules & systems, using the same software & coding as genuine activations however during general updates for vehicle software (for example while servicing or during repair works) any unofficial works may be overwritten & removed. Unofficial Activations of this type have no warranty & may invalidate parts of a vehicle's warranty. The trade-off between Official vs Unofficial is cost, an unofficial activation is cheaper.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

VAG Car Coding™ Limited does not use software downloaded from internet forums. We don't use pre-made solutions & templates complied by others. We don’t use others to complete our works, everything is IN HOUSE. We have taken the time to fully reverse engineer and test the systems involved & create individual code for everything we do, and because we fully understand the process from end to end we are able to recover from any issues.
Hi,

I got the answer from my dealship and the answer sounded something like this: "Your car is not equipt with Audi Connect, it's too old even though it's only 3,5 years old. Therefor you can't get the smartphone integration".

But after listening to you guys it sounds like I still could get this to work. I am mostly interested in getting CarPlay to work, but got kind of worried when I read something about fault codes and such, so is it possible to activate this safely? Also, is this activation possible remote or do I have to bring the car to some 3rd party?

Could I get you guys some more information about the car to be 100% sure it's possible?

Thanks all of you for the answers.

Hi,

I got the answer from my dealship and the answer sounded something like this: "Your car is not equipt with Audi Connect, it's too old even though it's only 3,5 years old. Therefor you can't get the smartphone integration".

But after listening to you guys it sounds like I still could get this to work. I am mostly interested in getting CarPlay to work, but got kind of worried when I read something about fault codes and such, so is it possible to activate this safely? Also, is this activation possible remote or do I have to bring the car to some 3rd party?

Could I get you guys some more information about the car to be 100% sure it's possible?

Just looking at your photo again it looks as if you have the smaller version of the popup screen and thus the version of MMI where the SatNav uses data on an SD card, refered to as the RMC system, rather than on a hard drive. In that case you would not have Audi Connect (from launch (2011) A6s with the MMI 3G+ or (postfacelift) LTE based MMI did come with Audi Connect despite what your dealer says about age) and adding CarPlay is not something that was offered by Audi. There are 3rd parties out there that do offer CarPlay for RMC based systems and a search on this forum and others will give you some to look at. Rvrification and activation;egarding map updates, again the dealer can provide that for you but it is not cheap as it requires connection to the factory for verification and activation. Again a search on here will provide you with 3rd party options but be careful to only consider those whicch have proven to deliver working solutions as a wrong choice could damage your MMI system

Hi,

Where are you based?

Just looking at your photo again it looks as if you have the smaller version of the popup screen and thus the version of MMI where the SatNav uses data on an SD card, refered to as the RMC system, rather than on a hard drive. In that case you would not have Audi Connect (from launch (2011) A6s with the MMI 3G+ or (postfacelift) LTE based MMI did come with Audi Connect despite what your dealer says about age) and adding CarPlay is not something that was offered by Audi. There are 3rd parties out there that do offer CarPlay for RMC based systems and a search on this forum and others will give you some to look at. Rvrification and activation;egarding map updates, again the dealer can provide that for you but it is not cheap as it requires connection to the factory for verification and activation. Again a search on here will provide you with 3rd party options but be careful to only consider those whicch have proven to deliver working solutions as a wrong choice could damage your MMI system
The screen in the photo states MHI2 which is the larger screen and compatible with ASI.

I live in Sweden, is it possible to do something remote or only by you in person?
Possible yes, practical not sure. In order to work remotely I would need you to have a windows PC or virtual machine, a usb to RJ45 dongle and RJ45 crossover cable, an sd card and a coding tool of some sort, ie VCDS or OBDeleven.