A6 Avant Headlights Issue

GDS968

Reaction score
Ok could someone tell me if this is correct. I have a 2010 A6 Avant with Bi-Xenon headlights ie the projector beam one side of the housing and a normal halogen the other. The Bi-Xenon's work on dip and main but the halogens don't seem to work on main (full) beam, they only work if I flash etc.

Is this correct, I can't think it can be!! Any advice welcome?

Cheers

Ok could someone tell me if this is correct. I have a 2010 A6 Avant with Bi-Xenon headlights ie the projector beam one side of the housing and a normal halogen the other. The Bi-Xenon's work on dip and main but the halogens don't seem to work on main (full) beam, they only work if I flash etc.

Is this correct, I can't think it can be!! Any advice welcome?

Cheers
This is correct. On FL cars, the inner lights are flashers only and have a row of led's for DRL.

Last edited:
Hi!
My A6 (2005) has two optical. The principal projector is for short light beam and long range. Other optical (inside) is for day light.
My car has bi-xenon with ds2 bulbs.
Your car (2010) has leds day light and it can work different.

Seems a bit mad if the inside halogen beams are not used for high beam as well as it makes a big difference in light output on the road, my bi-xenons are ok but no patch on my old twin turbo B5 S4!!

It always work this way. Light of inside is P21w bulb. It only is day light. Principal projector is bi-xenon (low light / high light).

Pretty sure my inside bulbs are not 21W, they look like 55watt H1's or H7's to me!!

On the FL with LED DRL's and bi-xenon, I think that the inside lights are for flashing at night when you have your headlights on.

Publication1

Yes. Ok. Your car is facelift. My car is pre-facelift and it works differently. l like more as it works your car.
2a7e0dfc76c6bc6dee8ee8cae7ecf8c1.jpg

Just seems like a waste of a decent light source for main beam use ie all lights on!! if you ask me. There must be a way to wire them in!!

Has anyone done this yet?
It is not advised because the combined heat output may be too much for the unit. The C6 is known for poor light output from the Xenon projector because the reflective coating fades over time. I would suggest you get them refurbished by the likes of emtuning (site sponsor) or replace the light units themselves. Neither of these options are cheap but it is the better way forward!

It is not advised because the combined heat output may be too much for the unit. The C6 is known for poor light output from the Xenon projector because the reflective coating fades over time. I would suggest you get them refurbished by the likes of emtuning (site sponsor) or replace the light units themselves. Neither of these options are cheap but it is the better way forward!
Thanks for the reply. Part of my plan B is to put LEDs in the "flash" lamps, so that should keep the heat down (but may cause errors). Plan A is to replace the 12 year old xenon bulbs. I have done one today and I can see an improvement, but yet to try driving in the dark. When I change the other xenon bulb I'll see if I can inspect the reflector with a mirror or camera.

The MOT rules were changed to say if a halogen headlamp has been converted to use HID or LED then it must be failed fyi.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The MOT rules were changed to say if a halogen headlamp has been converted to use HID or LED then it must be failed fyi.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Yes, I am aware of that (on my other car I had to swap back to halogens to pass the MoT). The tester noticed that the LEDs weren't giving such a sharp cut-off when I first fitted the LEDs, but only failed it when the rules changed. That said, the light was also too white to be halogen and on a 1990 car he couldn't mistake it for HID. But 1) I doubt the rules would be applied to the main beam and 2) if I do wire the flash to come on with the main, I will make it switchable.

Yes, I am aware of that (on my other car I had to swap back to halogens to pass the MoT). The tester noticed that the LEDs weren't giving such a sharp cut-off when I first fitted the LEDs, but only failed it when the rules changed. That said, the light was also too white to be halogen and on a 1990 car he couldn't mistake it for HID. But 1) I doubt the rules would be applied to the main beam and 2) if I do wire the flash to come on with the main, I will make it switchable.
Well, this plan has been scuppered by the way Audi have chosen to hold the halogen bulb to the reflector. There is a clip which "bayonet mounts" to the reflector. The bulb fits into this from the front then the bulb and clip is put into place and locked by twisting. This means that an led "bulb" with a big lump on the back cannot be fitted through the clip. Also, the led I tried, which was supposedly "canbus error free" did throw up an error and did the flash ever 30 seconds thing.
So now plan C is to look at higher output H7 halogen bulbs.

Thanks for the reply. Part of my plan B is to put LEDs in the "flash" lamps, so that should keep the heat down (but may cause errors). Plan A is to replace the 12 year old xenon bulbs. I have done one today and I can see an improvement, but yet to try driving in the dark. When I change the other xenon bulb I'll see if I can inspect the reflector with a mirror or camera.
I did check the reflector, and it looks shiny, but difficult to tell as the camera couldn't focus on the curved reflector.

?
They are a possibility for the future, but for now, I am happy that my new xenon bulbs are a significant improvement over the 12 year old originals plus I now know that I can use "flash" to get a bit extra light if I need to, and it seems that if I add a small extra force to the the flash lever I can make it stay in the flash position without holding it. An elastic band does the trick but I can't have an elastic band attached to the steering wheel!
If I decide that I do want the flash on for more than a few seconds at a time, I will try the above adaptors with H7 leds.