A6 Allroad Water flooded please help

Antony Kokes

Reaction score
Hi my A6 Allroad has been stood for six months as I have been working away.

When I opened the door manually as I disconnected the battery, the passenger side footwell and rear passenger side footwell was totally flooded.

I opened the bonnet & the battery compartment above the engine is also flooded. It looks like when it has been raining the water has been flowing down the windscreen into the engine compartment where the battery is located & once it has filled up with water it then has leaked into the vehicle itself.

I have managed to bail out the water & reconnect the battery & it starts up ok.

The problem I am now having is with the central locking, windows & remote.

When I first connected the battery I started the car but none of the doors would open though the fob or from inside the car using the central locking button or physically from the door handles.

I left it for a couple of days & when I had reconnected the battery today, I went back inside & when I came back out the indicators all round the car were on, not blink but a solid glow.

I opened the driver lock with the key & all the doors unlocked but 3 of the windows (2 front, 1 rear) have opened half way. I put the key in the ignition & stared the engine but none of the windows will now close. I have had to tape bin liners over the windows as it started to pour down.

Could anyone please offer any advise as I have got my car booked in for its annual MOT on Thursday

Many thanks

Sounds like water damage to some electronics.

There are electronic control boxes all over the car, including underneath the seats. If they have all been wet for a period of time, it’s likely you have water damage and/or corrosion. You may have a hefty bill to repair. Can you claim on insurance?

Classic , blocked plenum drains / pollen filter housing , CCM damage .

Even worse damage if it freezes in winter .

Reactions: Antony Kokes
If you unclog all drainage, het rid of the all standing water or whatever damp and start drying it all up, maybe it can get back to work again.

Fill in some silica gel bags or make your own ones with rice and leave it for some time in the car to absorb the moisture.
Thats only if you can get it somewhere under the roof. Crank up the heating and wait.

As been said above, the car is filled with electronic modules scattered around flood points, responsible for all your issues.
Trying cheap fix first might save you money and work on it.

Plus, all the damp smell will go away also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi my A6 Allroad has been stood for six months as I have been working away.

When I opened the door manually as I disconnected the battery, the passenger side footwell and rear passenger side footwell was totally flooded.

I opened the bonnet & the battery compartment above the engine is also flooded. It looks like when it has been raining the water has been flowing down the windscreen into the engine compartment where the battery is located & once it has filled up with water it then has leaked into the vehicle itself.

I have managed to bail out the water & reconnect the battery & it starts up ok.

The problem I am now having is with the central locking, windows & remote.

When I first connected the battery I started the car but none of the doors would open though the fob or from inside the car using the central locking button or physically from the door handles.

I left it for a couple of days & when I had reconnected the battery today, I went back inside & when I came back out the indicators all round the car were on, not blink but a solid glow.

I opened the driver lock with the key & all the doors unlocked but 3 of the windows (2 front, 1 rear) have opened half way. I put the key in the ignition & stared the engine but none of the windows will now close. I have had to tape bin liners over the windows as it started to pour down.

Could anyone please offer any advise as I have got my car booked in for its annual MOT on Thursday

Many thanks
1. Take batt. pole off.
2.Control box were drown short cercuit.
3. It at driver seat location take off clean by washing powder and make it dry by hair dryer .
4.Cercuit checking.
5.Push it back.
6.Seal front glass by silicole . water save.
7.Send to me rebuild.
Best regard

Attachments

• DSCF0396.JPG
    DSCF0396.JPG
    397.6 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCF0403.JPG
    DSCF0403.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 435
  • DSCF0367.JPG
    DSCF0367.JPG
    569.2 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Hi thanks for all the info. I have now unblocked the drains so water is now flowing. I have now removed passenger seat & pulled the passenger side front & rear carpet up & the floor panels were full of water. In the front floor panel (under were seat was) there is a black plastic housing which was submerged in water. I have soaked up the water now & removed the housing & opened it & that too was full of water. I have unplugged & removed the central locking module & taken that out of its casing & it looks in pretty bad shape. I have looked on the internet for a replacement. The exact model number is 4B0 962 258 N. They are some available on ebay for between £80-£100
There are also some others available but they have a different letter at the end & they range from £40 they still state Audi A6 but they are a couple of years older(1999). Does anyone know if this older version will fit or does it have to be the one that I have removed as the one I removed sates 2001 even though my car is 2005 many thanks again for all your support

I wouldn’t know answer to this but @B5NUT was giving he’s A6 for Audi scrapage scheme and could potentially help you out.
He retro-fitted few bits and bobs to this car but took it all out now, to sell separately.
Find he’s threads and pm him maybe?

Hope you’ll get it worked out soon

Hi, The module is the Convenience control module CCM. You are better to try and get the same module part number as the CCM controls the central locking and is the module the wireless locking works to. I am not sure if the earlier models had keys working on a different frequency. The options that the modules support can be different as well so best to try and get the same part number.
Your keys will not open the doors until they have been resynced to the module. This is done with VCDS. hopefully the coding on the mocule you buy will be similar to yours if it's off a similar car. Module coding again can be sorted with VCDS.
Be prepared for other issues though even when you get the module replaced. There are many joins in the wiring harness on the floor and these tend to rot when they get wet which causes various issues with things the CCM controls.
Hopefully the water hasn't got into the brake servo.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/164679-2002-A6-Rhd-Comfort-control-module

Thanks for all the advise
Hi, The module is the Convenience control module CCM. You are better to try and get the same module part number as the CCM controls the central locking and is the module the wireless locking works to. I am not sure if the earlier models had keys working on a different frequency. The options that the modules support can be different as well so best to try and get the same part number.
Your keys will not open the doors until they have been resynced to the module. This is done with VCDS. hopefully the coding on the mocule you buy will be similar to yours if it's off a similar car. Module coding again can be sorted with VCDS.
Be prepared for other issues though even when you get the module replaced. There are many joins in the wiring harness on the floor and these tend to rot when they get wet which causes various issues with things the CCM controls.
Hopefully the water hasn't got into the brake servo.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/164679-2002-A6-Rhd-Comfort-control-module
Hi thanks for the advise, sorry for the late gratitude but I have only just seen your post. I did get a new CCM with the same part number but it needs re-syncing. I logged on as I was looking for some advise as to which VCDS cable &software I should purchase. My main concern now after reading your post is the brake servo. I took the car out for a run & noticed the brakes were very spongy & needing applying harder. I thought it was because the car had been sat for 6 months but was wondering what to do next with regards to the braking system do you think it will rectify itself? Many thanks

I wouldn’t know answer to this but @B5NUT was giving he’s A6 for Audi scrapage scheme and could potentially help you out.
He retro-fitted few bits and bobs to this car but took it all out now, to sell separately.
Find he’s threads and pm him maybe?

Hope you’ll get it worked out soon

Thanks sorry for the late gratuity

If the car ahsn't been used for a while the brakes may need some time to clear the discs and sort themselves out. But if they are still the same after a few trips it's possible there is water in the servo and it's causing corrosion. Not much to do except replace it.
Check a caliper isn't sticking first and that the brake caliper slides are free.

Attachments

• DSCF0549.JPG
    DSCF0549.JPG
    760.2 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCF0580.JPG
    DSCF0580.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 357
  • DSCF0596.JPG
    DSCF0596.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,104
  • DSCF0631.JPG
    DSCF0631.JPG