A6 Aftermarket Head Units - Messing with my head unit :D

joeyfantastic

Reaction score
I have an Audi A6 C5 2004/5 Allroad with amplified Bose amplified SatNav/TV original audi stereo
I want to upgrade the stereo to a double din Chinese Android type jobbie, or a branded Pioneer/Kenwood etc type unit. not sure which yet

I basically just need satnav, phone bluetooth, DVD and iPod functions. Can anyone please advise me, now that we are in 2017 and the Androids have been around a while, what is considered the best upgrade for my car head unit?
If it's just a personal choice then I will probably go for Android so I have youtube on it and can install new maps easily if needed. But where I am REALLY stuck is in working out how to fit the damn things, what adapters and converters are needed etc. Any help gratefully received. Thanks

I've just been on this journey so perhaps I can help a little. Assuming your car is BOSE fully amplified like mine (apparently some Audi's are BOSE front only, and I initially bought the lead for that setup in error), and also assuming a standard connection on whatever head unit you buy (a fairly safe assumption) then you need the Autoleads PC9-410 or equivalent.

I also had an issue when I plugged in the Sony head unit I installed in that there seems to be an issue with capacitors discharging when the amp signal is turned on, leading to loud pop and crackle through the speakers when you turn the car on and off. I solved this issue with two ground loop isolators wired in line on the audio channels. Note though that space is at an absolute premium behind the stereo - the only reason this worked for me is the sony unit is a double din sized stereo with a single din body, so all the wiring and the two isolators can sit underneath it no bother. You will probably struggle to fit all of this in on a full double din head unit.

Thanks very much. I have just ordered those cables, and its full double din Pioneer F60DAB, no idea how to fit it all in but hopefully I will find a way