A6 50tdi Quattro

Simonwhite2000

840i GC
Reaction score
Our A6 has gone in to Audi today to fix two teething issues - squeeky touchscreen and headliner not attached properly at the back.
Got a 50tdi as a loaner and aside from not being a fan of it in white (especially without privacy) I am not seeing it as worth the extra cash over the 40tdi.
At normal driving speeds I am finding it a noiser engine and similarly when you give it some welly it makes quite a racket. Again more so than the 40tdi. Weird. It is a slightly nicer noise (if you can call these diesels music nice) but its much more noisy than I was expecting from a 6 cylinder.
It does have some shove though without a doubt but its a let down down really given I was considering one in an A6 or A7.
Curious if anyone else has experienced one?
A6 white

Reactions: NevMan and ChetA6
Hi,

I test drove a a6 50 tdi quattro before purchasing a A6 AVANT 40 TDI .
Like you say I found it very noisey compared to the 40 tdi and the gear change was not as smooth also, yes it has more power and sticks to the road like glue but I felt it was not worth the extra £10000 -£12000 extra over the 40.

I have read in car mags that the extra cost over the 40 is not justified and the testers have also complained about the notchy gear change in the 50.
But if you can afford the extra cost most people would probably go for the 50 because of the QUATTRO badge, or you could just buy a quattro badge on ebay and stick it under the 40 TDI , There are many genuine quattro badges for sale, and most people would not no the difference between the 2 models.

Hope Audi sort out your issuie with your car, mine also will be going in for a badly fitted rear passenger door chrome trim which does not match up to the rear quarter chrome trim.
Looks to me that the door has to be adjusted up slightly around 2-3 mm to match up perfectly, the rest of the car is perfectly finished off.

This is my third Audi in a row and so far have found them very well made which seems to last for a long time, I bought a S3 in 2000 and still have it to this day with nothing falling of it and still everything works as it did when I purchased it.

Jack

Hi,

I test drove a a6 50 tdi quattro before purchasing a A6 AVANT 40 TDI .
Like you say I found it very noisey compared to the 40 tdi and the gear change was not as smooth also, yes it has more power and sticks to the road like glue but I felt it was not worth the extra £10000 -£12000 extra over the 40.

I have read in car mags that the extra cost over the 40 is not justified and the testers have also complained about the notchy gear change in the 50.
But if you can afford the extra cost most people would probably go for the 50 because of the QUATTRO badge, or you could just buy a quattro badge on ebay and stick it under the 40 TDI , There are many genuine quattro badges for sale, and most people would not no the difference between the 2 models.

Hope Audi sort out your issuie with your car, mine also will be going in for a badly fitted rear passenger door chrome trim which does not match up to the rear quarter chrome trim.
Looks to me that the door has to be adjusted up slightly around 2-3 mm to match up perfectly, the rest of the car is perfectly finished off.

This is my third Audi in a row and so far have found them very well made which seems to last for a long time, I bought a S3 in 2000 and still have it to this day with nothing falling of it and still everything works as it did when I purchased it.

Jack

I would definitely rather take a 40 tdi and add some options on rather than a 50 tdi. Or take the 55 tfsi when it becomes available.

Both my S5's have had little niggles and rattles that needed sorting so my Audi experience has not been the best. Meanwhile I had a Golf R for 2 years that went back with 17k on the clock and it literally did not have a single rattle or squeak.

Thought you'd treated yourself when I saw the title!
I've also read reviews where they think the extra cost of the 50tdi just isn't worth it. Perhaps they'll do a 40 TDi Quattro at some point in the future? I'd definitely prefer to do what you suggested and get 40 TDi with options, instead of a 50 TDi.

Thought you'd treated yourself when I saw the title!
I've also read reviews where they think the extra cost of the 50tdi just isn't worth it. Perhaps they'll do a 40 TDi Quattro at some point in the future? I'd definitely prefer to do what you suggested and get 40 TDi with options, instead of a 50 TDi.
Its rough as toast mate honestly. Glad I have tried it though otherwise I might of got one without knowing.

Anybody got any insight into when, or indeed if, the 55 TFSI may be available in the UK?

Stick a Quattro badge on a non-Quattro, are you mad, LOL it's just not done in a Audi. Is your other car a corsa or a saxo ;-)

Reactions: ScottFree, NevMan and Simonwhite2000
How can you do that,,,,,,
93d97ee7d0181fbe3ab3fc942ccfdad1.jpg

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
I never really get why people stick extra badges on the cars, for those that know what the badge is will know it's not right on the car and think WTF! For those that have no idea about the badge won't care less. Anyway who cares it's their cars and they can do what they like.

Reactions: cuke2u
Mr Nut
If it offend you I will take this off .

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Not offended, I just don't get it that's all. There is 1.9TDI RS4 driving around my local town, but if it makes the owner happy then what the hell. It's you're car and can do whatever you want and it's got nothing at all to do with me. I just posed the question of why that was all, I didn't even know if that was a picture of your car, or just one spotted on the road!

Last edited:
Its rough as toast mate honestly. Glad I have tried it though otherwise I might of got one without knowing.
Really is surprising, I found the same, but why is it so rough?, must be all the WLTP stuff, as this engine has been silky smooth in previous applications. Very happy with the 40tdi so far, have you ever found though, it’s even smoother when on a DPF regen?. Seems to be loosening up nicely, seems this is the engine to go for potentially with a tuning box in the near future!

55 still not available in UK. Driven a 55 in Germany. Seriously fast and with the electric motors on each wheel, delivers credible acceleration. I would have ordered the 55 back in August’18 if available but prognosis for 55 in UK was poor at the time and the performance Avants may end up as diesel based anyway - at least at first

I went for the 50 Avant s-line. Overall I am very pleased with it and from performance and roadhold perspective, a considerable improvement over the C6 and especially the C7. Occasional low speed problems with jolts at junctions when pulling off, usually when on incline but in fairness seen this on most auto boxes at times.

I much preferred the 50 to the 40 and secured an acceptable discount on the 50 s-line Quattro.

Not noticed a noise problem although the injectors were replaced after a few days. Apparently injectors a weak spot on the 50 engine and already well know by the techs - even in other German brands as a friend who is BMW tech management asked how my injectors were going and he wasn’t surprised they’d required replacing.... but maybe not after a few days though.

The technology pack is good but the satnav iPhone interface is shabby and Audi could do much better. I hope the software updates improve the Apple Car Play link-up.

Seen a few Quattro badges on Audi models that are front wheel drive only. It doesn’t bother me either. I hope they remove them prior to sale and not misrepresent what they are selling as new owners could get unstuck.

Reactions: pp2414 and NevMan
What electric motors are you referring to? Audi doesn't have any hybrids in its range at the moment. It only has the e-tron. I guess since there is the A3 e-tron, they may be looking to introduce this into some vehicles in the future, but the A6 is engine only at the moment.

“All engines offered come with a mild hybrid drivetrain that can reduce fuel consumption by up to 0.7 litres per 100 kilometres for the V6-engined vehicles.”.... is what they say. However it takes off and accelerates at any speed like the clappers.

I believe it is purposely confusing (by Audi) to use the term "mild hybrid" to make you think that it is a hybrid in the sense that "we" all think of hybrids. However there are no electric motors powering the wheels. There is simply a belt starter that allows the engine to switch off, and then restart back at the appropriate revolutions while driving. The battery powers the car systems while it is in motion, which is why they call it a "mild hybrid". But it should really be called "misleading hybrid".
The acceleration was just due to it being a 3.0L V6 with 335 BHP!

Id suggest driving it for a few days. I also read the marking blurb and journalist reviews.
Owning a C6 and driving a family C7.0 I drove a 50 and a 40 in Germany (saloon) for extended periods way before ordering a 50 avant to replace my C6 in the UK. Hence my original preference for the 55 to avoid being lumbered with another diesel - the C7.0 3.0 was on lease and totally neutered by the dieselgate work.
Most of the C8 reviews I agree with. We all have our own paradigms and expectations. Performance and acceleration are particularly strong suits on the C8 3.0 configuration and Quattro roadholding is adequate. The 3.0 in the C6 and pre dieselgate C7.0 are considerably slower, in particular the midrange acceleration we use everyday but is not discussed in the reviews. The 2018 530 that I occasionally drive feels far more connected to the road but for me, this is a feeling in the dry that is soon lost under conditions of rain and snow. As we don’t live in an arid desert, the journalists mumblings just fill the column inches is hardly relevant in the real world.
The journalists reviewers had air suspension and other costly extras on their test cars. After a fair amount of poor A road driving, I’m pleased I didn’t opt for 20” wheels - although they do look very good and for the same ride quality your back would cry out for the air suspension. At some point, common sense prevails on the Configurator.

At some point, common sense prevails on the Configurator.
For me it was my wallet that prevailed... just a ridiculous number of features that were simply overpriced.
I know they are not the same vehicles, and not in the same class, but if you take a "non-premium" car like say, a Ford, there is much more value in the spec's and equipment. There is still the concept of the "top of the range" where you literally get every toy and piece of equipment they offer. I understand the logic/argument that says I am paying for things I don't want, and it is better to only pay for the options I actually want, but Audi don't work like that. You get a base model and then you have to pay for absolutely everything, even when it makes no sense. Storage pack for £175, on a 50K+ car. I mean seriously...
Mercedes realise this and offer better value with their premium and premium plus packs that give almost everything a normal consumer wants.
Apologies, rant over...:whistle2:

Reactions: Simonwhite2000 and NevMan
Audi offer a Vorsprung version of some models that has every option, but the price :scared2::scared2::scared2:

Even on the Vorsprung models you can still stick ££££ of options on.

Upload 2019 2 3 13 55 41

Stick a Quattro badge on a non-Quattro, are you mad, LOL it's just not done in a Audi. Is your other car a corsa or a saxo ;-)

You beat me to this comment

Plus the further madness of using a capital Q in quattro
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
:rtfm::wtf::readit:

Reactions: cuke2u
For me it was my wallet that prevailed... just a ridiculous number of features that were simply overpriced.
I know they are not the same vehicles, and not in the same class, but if you take a "non-premium" car like say, a Ford, there is much more value in the spec's and equipment. There is still the concept of the "top of the range" where you literally get every toy and piece of equipment they offer. I understand the logic/argument that says I am paying for things I don't want, and it is better to only pay for the options I actually want, but Audi don't work like that. You get a base model and then you have to pay for absolutely everything, even when it makes no sense. Storage pack for £175, on a 50K+ car. I mean seriously...
Mercedes realise this and offer better value with their premium and premium plus packs that give almost everything a normal consumer wants.
Apologies, rant over...:whistle2:

Mate, completely agree with all of this ^

I have a new A7 and have noticed it is definitely noiser than my last 2016 A7. I prefer it to be honest. Gives a little more grunt sound without being too noisy.

55 still not available in UK. Driven a 55 in Germany. Seriously fast and with the electric motors on each wheel, delivers credible acceleration. I would have ordered the 55 back in August’18 if available but prognosis for 55 in UK was poor at the time and the performance Avants may end up as diesel based anyway - at least at first

I went for the 50 Avant s-line. Overall I am very pleased with it and from performance and roadhold perspective, a considerable improvement over the C6 and especially the C7. Occasional low speed problems with jolts at junctions when pulling off, usually when on incline but in fairness seen this on most auto boxes at times.

I much preferred the 50 to the 40 and secured an acceptable discount on the 50 s-line Quattro.

Not noticed a noise problem although the injectors were replaced after a few days. Apparently injectors a weak spot on the 50 engine and already well know by the techs - even in other German brands as a friend who is BMW tech management asked how my injectors were going and he wasn’t surprised they’d required replacing.... but maybe not after a few days though.

The technology pack is good but the satnav iPhone interface is shabby and Audi could do much better. I hope the software updates improve the Apple Car Play link-up.

Seen a few Quattro badges on Audi models that are front wheel drive only. It doesn’t bother me either. I hope they remove them prior to sale and not misrepresent what they are selling as new owners could get unstuck.

Guys above comparing 50tdi Quattro with 40tdi probably have no clue that they are comparing two different worlds.
Yes, 50tdi had initial issues with laggy drive train software which got sorted few months ago, yes it is heavier and less economical than 40tdi. Perhaps the V6 engine is more vocal too but this is a car for those that will appreciate the power, torque, incredible acceleration, real Quattro with all time 60rear/40front split, old fashion tiptronic gearbox likely to last 300000 without a hiccups, etc...
Remember that A6 was primarily build on theses qualities only now we are offered cheaper version with the most vital parts substituted with parts that are far away from the original concept and are build to last the usual 2 or 3 year PCP/leasing plan.
Below is a short list of differences supporting the fact that 50tdi is far more advanced
- Tiptronic gearbox with traditional torque converter
- V6 engine well known from previous models with few modifications
- Proper Quattro - Torsen
- Bigger and better breaks
- 48V mild hybrid
- Any many many more components that are build to keep this torque monster going.
If you are buying your A6 because you love how it looks like or your driving appetite is well covered with four cylinder ‘heart’ 40tdi is a perfect choice for you but please don’t compare it to 50tdi. It is like comparing E220d with E350d or 520d with 530d.
Also, from my own experience adjusting to V6 engine when jumping from four pit cars takes a little bit of time so a short time loaner won’t show you the entire truth.
It actually took me some weeks to adjust to extra power having under my foot and different gear ratios.
Enjoy your cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smileysam and TG_A6_50tdi_quattro