A6 3.0 DRL bulb removal

V13MKE

Audi A6 3.0TDI V6 Le Mans & Audi TT Mk1 225
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Getting round to changing my bulbs from yellow looking halogen to whiter bulbs to match the xenons.

Car is a 2008 A6 avant Le mans 3.0. Engine bay room is limited and virtually the whole air filter system needs removed to get access to the back of the lights.

After alot of swearing and cut knuckles I have managed to replace the sidelights, the DRL bulb was not coming out though. Is there a specific way to remove this? I have had to reinstall the air filter as I was running out of daylight so will need to remove it all again.

Just wondering if I should be doing anything specific to get the bulb out besides giving it a pull.

Your main bulbs rotate anti clockwise to remove.
I replaced mine with 6000k bulbs and they are just a bit too blue for me. I will be swapping them in the future for 5000k one's.

Your best way is to remove the bumper and headlights.

Passenger headlamp is even less accessible. In my 2.0 2010 I had to remove brake fluid reservoir? to access the back of the headlamp.

I could not reach Main beam bulb from the engine bay. May remove the bumper at some point to do that, tho, as thought of upgrading horns to Hella also.

How simple is it to remove the bumper. Seems excessive just to change the bulbs and don't want to put it back together incorrect.

If and when I get back in to change the DRL bulbs will it be the same as suggested above when replacing the main bulb turning the bulb anti clockwise to remove it? Seemed like it wasn't moving to me.

Bumper removal tutorials available on yt. Fairly easy that is.
Need to be careful with headlamp washers hose connections, behind the bumper.

I didn't pulled mine out entirely, as washer liquid started leaking and didn't want to end up in a puddle. It was midnight when I was doing it and in the morning next day was driving the car. LOL. Was replacing the grille that time.

Rest it on a bucket or something, to stay in the same level as fitted.

I was sh...ting my pants also when was removing it for the first time. You need long ratchet extension. At least a 12".

Be careful if you remove the headlights...they don't just bolt up to the front panel like other cars!

There are three mounting bolts and each one screws into an adjuster, so when you undo the bolts, make sure that the adjuster doesn't turn.
These adjusters alter the fit of the headlight to the wing, bonnet and bumper.
As Kris said, the bumper is easy enough to remove, however, alignment of the headlamp unit is not so easy.

I'd stick with removing the air cleaner as it's probably easier than realigning the headlamp assembly. My car is also a V6, so access is probably similar to yours.

Yes, I think it will be easier to persevere with removing air filter to get access to the back. Will pick up some gloves to minimize the cuts and scrapes I have already got.

Yes as you mention, the V6 whilst a great engine, zero room to access these parts. No doubt deliberate so Audi can charge for the ability to change the bulbs themselves.

Removing the filter etc is easy on that side, good enough access . The other side is a real pain...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes I have found this out now. The filter although it has many parts does give easier access to the back of the lights. Tried the other side and had to admit defeat. Its the bracket that holds the power steering pump (believe that's the part) that gets in the way. Might need to resort to bumper removal and taking the headlights out. Never thought it would be so hard to replace a couple of bulbs!!

Yes I have found this out now. The filter although it has many parts does give easier access to the back of the lights. Tried the other side and had to admit defeat. Its the bracket that holds the power steering pump (believe that's the part) that gets in the way. Might need to resort to bumper removal and taking the headlights out. Never thought it would be so hard to replace a couple of bulbs!!
You can unscrew the power steering fluid tank with bracket and move it away slightly. It'll give you enough room there.

I can confirm that I have now been able to replace the sidelights and day time running lights without removing bumper and headlights in my 3.0 v6. You will need to contort your hands into odd positions and will come out with multiple cuts and scrapes. Hopefully won't have to do that again in a hurry!