A6 - 2017 - Start Stop Issue

arovbukay

Reaction score
Hi All, I recently had this start/stop issue with my A6 - 2017. 18K on the clock. Starting the car from cold last week it attempted to start, then stopped, Mirrors opened, closed, When pushing the Start/Stop button again I got the system fault error and the car reluctantly started. However this weekend the car was parked having driven for 15mins or so - noticed the fan was going even after the car was off (it's done that a few times, been told this is normal) so didn't think much of it. Returned to the car approx 4 hours later, when pressing the start/stop no error- engine would tick over, just a click. All electrics were working so didn't think it was the battery, though someone offered a jump start and it worked. Has been working since but not sure what happened there? is the battery draining? could the fan have killed the battery?

Under warranty still I assume, take it in.

Booked in for tomorrow, though they said Audi Assist might be able to diagnose, so i've called them out as it did it sat on the drive last night.

Hi All, I recently had this start/stop issue with my A6 - 2017. 18K on the clock. Starting the car from cold last week it attempted to start, then stopped, Mirrors opened, closed, When pushing the Start/Stop button again I got the system fault error and the car reluctantly started. However this weekend the car was parked having driven for 15mins or so - noticed the fan was going even after the car was off (it's done that a few times, been told this is normal) so didn't think much of it. Returned to the car approx 4 hours later, when pressing the start/stop no error- engine would tick over, just a click. All electrics were working so didn't think it was the battery, though someone offered a jump start and it worked. Has been working since but not sure what happened there? is the battery draining? could the fan have killed the battery?

The fan running after turning the car off means that you stopped the car whilst it was doing a DPF regeneration. This is perfectly normal and also suspends the stop/start function. A6s are very sensitive to the battery voltage and if it drops below a certain point even though everything looks to function normally it will do strange things such as fail to start, show random warning lights or give random messages. That said your car is a little bit new to show battery probelmes but maybe your low annual mileage (Lots of short journeys - which is very bad for a modern diesel or a lot of time standing not being used allowing the battery to discharge) means it is not fully charging each time you use the car

Reactions: arovbukay
so apparently this was a duff battery. Had it replaced and it seems fine since. Audi Assist said it is common in winter where you have heated screen, seats, chargers etc on for a shot journey, battery doesn't get a chance to charge fully.

i had similar battery issues on my saloon... which was part of a defective batch from the factory, so i hope they didn't charge you for a new one!

that's what the Audi assist guy said. Car still under warranty so no "charge".

good stuff... they tried to charge me as they only give 12 month warranty on batteries....

I've just been recoding a friend's 2017 Audi A6 TDI after his car failed to start and he took it to his preferred local garage to get a battery changed, the car, bought secondhand over a couple of years ago as an Approved Used Audi from Audi in Warrington, does not get used much only once a fortnight for a reasonable length journey - so no point in trying to talk to his local Audi dealer (Edinburgh Audi) about this.
Anyway, the removed battery was a VW Group EFB of the correct "size" a Moll one, the fitted battery was a Yuasa AGM same "size" as the one removed.

When I went into the CAN Gateway, I would not find the "battery technology" option, only capacity + manufacturer + serial number, so I had to leave the "battery technology" as it was, but, should this car always have had an AGM battery fitted from day one and that is the reason why there is no "battery technology" options offered?