A6 2.7TDI Fan running High Speed even with engine off.

Izzy1

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My A6 seems to run the cooling fan on high speed from the moment i turn the ignition on to about 30seconds after i have turned the engine off.

every so often it brings up the engine management light which brings back the following error codes.
P1018
P0694
P161A/B/C/D/E/F

please advise....

Not vcds educated to understand the codes but can think of temperature sensor fault.

Does the fan runs longer after longer journey's when off the ignition?

Hi,
The Ross tech fault wiki is great for fault diagnosis.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17426/P1018/004120
17426/P1018/004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower Limit not reached
Possible Symptoms
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Possible Causes
  • Fuse(s) faulty
  • Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Manifold Runner Motor 2 (V275) faulty
  • Intake Manifold Runner Motor 2 (V275) faulty
  • Intake Manifold Flap 2 faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Fuse(s)
  • Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Intake Manifold Runner Motor 2 (V275)
  • Check/Replace Intake Manifold Runner Motor 2 (V275)
  • Check Linkage between Intake Manifold Runner Motor 2 (V275) and Intake Manifold Flap 2 Movement, Rust and when necessary use Lubricants to repair it. If the Flap is still sluggish, also lubricate the Flap Bearings.
  • Check/Replace Intake Manifold Flap 2

You need to check the intake manifold runner flaps, very common problem usually resolved by changing the rods that actuate the flaps. They cost about £30 for the pair. Google 3.0 TDI intake runner flap.

P0694 is a fault related to the cooling fan.

P0694 - Cooling Fan 2 Relay Control Circuit High

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/146898-Radiator-cooling-fan-problem

P161A/B/C/D/E/F are related to glow plug faults. A is cylinder 1 , B is cylinder 2 etc

P161B/005659 - Glowplug for Cylinder 2 (Q11): Open Circuit
Possible Symptoms
  • Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes
  • Glowplug for Cylinder 2 (Q11) faulty
  • Automatic Glow Time Control Module (J179) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Glowplug for Cylinder 2 (Q11)
  • Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Glowplug for Cylinder 2 (Q11)
  • Check Automatic Glow Time Control Module (J179)

Looking at the wiring diagram for the rad fans.
Upload 2017 2 17 15 19 58

There are 2 seperate 400w motors each controlled from a rad fan module. These Rad fan modules are controlled from the ECU.
Check to see if it's one or both fans that are running.
If it's just the one it may be that the actual module has gone duff. These are usually located by the fan itself in the rad fan pack.
You seem to have a few faults with the car I would suggest you get them sorted. How many miles has the car done ? .

Do you have the air con switched on ? . If so switch it off and see if that makes any difference. Faults in the air con system can cause the fans to run but as you have a fault code relating to the fan module it looks like that may be the issue.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the rad fans.
View attachment 117770
There are 2 seperate 400w motors each controlled from a rad fan module. These Rad fan modules are controlled from the ECU.
Check to see if it's one or both fans that are running.
If it's just the one it may be that the actual module has gone duff. These are usually located by the fan itself in the rad fan pack.
You seem to have a few faults with the car I would suggest you get them sorted. How many miles has the car done ? .

The driver side fan is the one that runs constantly. Car has done 131k now.
Just took it to a friend of mine who has VCDS and he said it seems to have a short in the wiring somewhere. he has the same issue with his S5.
Will take it to someone to have it re-wired and hopefully this will fix the issue.

will report back in a few days what the outcome was.

bit of an update.

Went to see the mechanic to have a look at my car. he confirmed he has repaired many of these in the past, some customers have gone to him even after replacing the fans with the same issue.

So it's booked in for next weekend. hopefully when i get it back it will be all fixed.

So I got the car back... wiring was traced back to the ECU and all seems fine. looks like it's a faulty Module.

the fault is with the smaller fan thats on the drivers side. for now the fan has been disconnected until i can source a new fan module. dealers want £500.

am i ok to drive the car with the small fan disconnected? what are the issues this may cause?

It is there to cool the radiator so if it's not working, radiator will continue to heat up. Only cooling effect for it is when you drive but than the whole circle is closing, I suppose.

Did the garage or place where you were, advise you to disconnect it?

the garage disconnected the 1 fan only. the other fan still comes on when then engine warms up.