A5 V8 - Milltek Res or Non Res

HollowmanVIII

Driver
Reaction score
I appreciate this has probably been covered before but my S5 has the triptronic and I just wanted some opinions on which one to go for?

I have read some people complain about too much drone on the non res. I do a fair bit of motorway miles so want to try and avoid too much drone.

On the other hand I want it to sound noticeably louder with the odd burble compared with stock. Would the resonated version alone provide this?

I'm also interested in anyone's opinion on this, watching youtube videos doesnt help as different cameras produce different audio tones.... some of the non-res recordings sound way too deep in tone to me and the resonated recordings are few and far between... It would be great to get to hear them side by side in the flesh!

I was thinking of just buying the Resonated one and if its too quiet then get a local custom exhaust place to replace the resonated mid pipe with a straight through pipe and see how it goes.

Not sure what Hollowman went for but I have just had my Milltek installed. I went for the non res one in the end after reading a few posts on the A5OC forum stating that the resonated version just isnt much of a difference to the original Audi exhausr. Any how its early days but so far I'm very happy with it, its a hell of a lot deeper in tone and its lost that rasp sound (which I kind of miss), its not too loud in the cabin, in fact in tick over you can hardly notice it, plant your foot though and you instantly smile. I've not been on the motorway yet so not sure about the dreaded drone but around town I havent noticed any. By the way mine is a manual S5, I've heard the autos suffer from drone a lot

I have recently had a non res milltek fitted on mine. And for me was the only choice to go for. You can control how noisy you want it to be through the throttle, on idle hardly noticeable in cabin and regular driving you have a nice deep drone from the back but I feel it was what the car was lacking from stock. And when you put your foot down wow! Smiles per mile for sure

Glad you guys are happy with your Millteks. Are you both manual?

I have the S-tronic so still in two minds about res or non res. Ideally want to avoid any drone as I use my car on a motorway commute to work

yep mines a manual, you could always get the Non resonated then buy the res pipe after if it drones.

Yes mine is manual too and agree with delbmx if unhappy you have options to change.

Just following up with the non-res guys?

You still enjoying them? They’re not too anti-socially loud are they?

I’m leaning towards it as I think the resonated one will simply be too stock sounding.

I’ve got a nearly new non res one for sale in the classifieds , if anyone is interested .