A5 stop start problem

Lee Cherry

Reaction score
I have an intermittent problem with my 2015 A5 Cab. 3L V6 Diesel S-Tronic.

When the stop start is engaged, Releasing the brake starts the engine but it lurches forward as if the clutch is engaged. Holding it on the brake will stop the car moving and it will then idle normally. However, when on an incline it will actually stall the engine. Normal, engaging drive from Park or Neutral has no problems whatsoever, so in order to pull away I need to engage park, stop and start the car on the key and then drive away as normal. Anyone else experience this problem?

One thing I am thinking is a air or fluid pressure drop that may occur whilst the engine is off causing the clutch to engage and once the engine has restarted, pressure is returned and the car will sit normally in drive with the engine running.

Thanks in anticipation :)

I have an intermittent problem with my 2015 A5 Cab. 3L V6 Diesel S-Tronic.

When the stop start is engaged, Releasing the brake starts the engine but it lurches forward as if the clutch is engaged. Holding it on the brake will stop the car moving and it will then idle normally. However, when on an incline it will actually stall the engine. Normal, engaging drive from Park or Neutral has no problems whatsoever, so in order to pull away I need to engage park, stop and start the car on the key and then drive away as normal. Anyone else experience this problem?

One thing I am thinking is a air or fluid pressure drop that may occur whilst the engine is off causing the clutch to engage and once the engine has restarted, pressure is returned and the car will sit normally in drive with the engine running.

Thanks in anticipation :)

I have a 2019 A5 same problem!
No pattern, but dangerous.
I am about to pull out into traffic, the car starts to go and then decides it wants to take a Holiday as it crawls across the highway like a half dead slug and then LIFT OFF and it blasts "Back to the Future".

Have either of you been able to plug a scan tool into the car and done a full car-wide scan? VCDS, ELM327 + a car scan app, etc. Also, have either of you guys had your battery changed recently? On some vehicles with stop start, the car needs to be told there is a new battery to not overcharge the new one, but also to make sure the stop start functions correctly.