A5 sportback sub upgrade

christoph

Reaction score
Hi all. Sure it's been covered loads before but I cant find my answer. I'm upgrading the sub in the boot to a stealth in the rear side. The amp I have has hi level input but I also have a LOC to run RCAs. Which is preferred? I have the Audi sound system which gives me control of the sub through the mmi which I would like to be able to keep. Will this still work properly if I tap into the standard sub wires? With the LOC do how do i wire this to the 2 sub wires as it has 4, do i do a pair or + and pair of - or just 1 of each? If doing hi level input how would I wire this in also?

Thanks

B9 or a previous generation ? On a B9, if you have the Audi Sound system then your subwoofer will have only 2 wires. If you have 4 wires and a Subwoofer control dial in your MMI then you have the B&O system.

B8 2010. The sub only has 2 wires. I thought from what I read only the audi sound system has sub control? Pretty sure I dont have B and O as none of the grills have it on.

OK in which case the B9 is different. The B9 has 3 audio options. Base, Audi Sound System and B&O.
The Audi Sound System comes with a subwoofer but with no subwoofer dial in the MMI.
Your easiest way to upgrade this is to leave the OEM subwoofer alone and add an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer in the boot using a subwoofer enclosure like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172985829615
You just need a small amp to drive that 8 inch woofer.

Thats the exact enclosure I have fitted now I have the amp wired in ready to install the sub when that arrives. But i just need to know more about the LOC wiring and if it's ok to tap into the standard wires and still then keep the sub level adjustment in the mmi as well.

Why are you using an LOC. Most new amp will take a High Level input. Just connect two wires in parallel with your OEM subwoofer directly into the input of the aftermarket amp.
What amp are you using?

I dont have to use LOC I'd prefer to use high level input as less wires running about then. I'm using a pioneer GMA3702 as this is perfect size to fit nicely into the n/s storage space in the factory rack part.

That amp allows Speaker level inputs. Don't waste your money on a LOC.
I too use a Pioneer amp. What I have found with some of the Pioneer amps is that they don't consistently turn on. You won't know if you have that issue or not until you try it.
But that is easily solved with adding a remote turn on. Again, no need for an LOC.

Ok thanks a lot for your help I'll hopefully get it all set up in the next week and working.