1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A5 Sportback 1.4tfsi

Erf Jun 14, 2018

1. Erf

Erf Member

planning on buying a new 1.4tfsi sportback. Does anyone have any experience of this engine? The dealer only had the 2.0tfsi for a test drive, but keen to go for the 1.4 and spec out some options the wife wants, e.g pano roof and park pack.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Simonb1975

Simonb1975 Guest

No experience myself but check out the A4 (B9) section for plenty of views and info on the 1.4

4. Erf

Erf Member

Thanks!

5. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Active Member

You'd have to be mad to put a 1.4 engine in a car this size

Bradders. likes this.
  6. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Why not, nothing wrong in the output as the 1.4 is a strong engine. They put 1.0l in the mondeo...

7. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Active Member

No longevity in that engine, it's under too much strain all the time, it won't go the distance, but it will be out of warranty so Audi don't care

8. cuke2u

What on earth are you talking about, strain? If the engine has the same output as a non-turbo 2.0l we were all happy with, if not more. There is zero strain.
    Have you actually driven a 1.4 VAG?

9. Erf

Erf Member

I think the 1.4Tfsi is perfectly suited to my wifes needs which is primarily town driving. It's 150BHP. the 2.0tdi engine in our old C6 Avant was 140BHP and was perfectly fine!

In any regards, it's now a moot point as I've heard from Audi uk they will be withdrawing this engine from the A5 range as it will fail the new fuel consumption tests and all 1.4tfsi orders will be replaced with the 2.0 tfsi with no additional charge. Not a bad result if that pans out...

10. orcomma

orcomma Active Member TFSI Owners Group Audi A5 Audi Cabriolet Owner Group S-line owners group S tronic

Isn't the 1.4 150 TFSI old technology now? I'm sure I read somewhere that engine is being phased out and replaced with a new 1.5 litre petrol with the same output. Probably in the facelift B9s coming in a year or two

11. cuke2u

Yes that is correct, the 1.4 is being superceded by the 1.5, however there is little change in the figures...

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. Erf

Erf Member

From what I understand (from Audi UK), there will not be a 1.4 or 1.5 Tfsi from MY19. The only petrol option (other than the S5) will be the 190bhp and 252bhp 2.0 Tfsi a. Not sure what will happen longer term with prices as the 1.4 is £2k cheaper, which helped us spec up the car (tech pack, advanced parking pack, Daytona grey, nappa leather, pano roof, privacy glass, extended LED, flat bottomed wheel)

14. Benji315

Benji315 Member

Wouldn't go near a 1.4 myself, the car deserves at least 2.0, it's a big old car too !

15. Simonwhite2000

Simonwhite2000 2017 S5 Coupe Daytona Grey

I have experience of the 1.4 in an A4 and found it to be perfectly adequate for day to day driving. It wont set you pants on fire by any means though.

cuke2u likes this.
  16. APaxton

APaxton Member

So I have the 150tfsi as a courtesy car for the day today all I can say is seriously underwhelmed...the engine is weak and makes the hesitant gearbox issue even worse bordering on dangerous I’d say. Twice alreadyI’ve had to apply the brakes heavily trying to pull out into a gap on a roundabout as the thing just would not move. Can’t wait to pick mine back up later!

17. cuke2u

In fact the 1.4 may well be replaced by a 150ps 2.0ltfsi, such as is happening to the facelift A4.
    I wonder what we did when 110ps, and a great deal less torque, was considered more that sufficient in a family car.
    Even a GTI of the past had less power output than the 1.4 has now...

18. APaxton

APaxton Member

I guess it’s all relative, I imagine it would probably have felt quick driven back to back with my old focus however feels horrendously slow compared to the 190tfsi.

Also of note the fuel consumption showing on similar drives to my normal routine is marginally worse than the 190tfsi.

19. Stephen Payne

Stephen Payne Member

I had an a4 1.4 tfsi recently as a courtesy car and have to say I really didn't rate it. Coming from a 2009 2.0tfsi a5 I found the engine to be pretty awful if I'm honest. To me it had no guts on the motorway and was awful on any kind of incline. All of this may have been just about bearable if there had been massive gains in mpg (possibly) but in my experience there was very little difference between it and my o year old 2 litre. Decided there and then that I would never invest in any car with that engine. But that may just be my opinion. My advice would be make sure you get a test drive in an a5 with that engine and drive it around where you normally drive and how you normally drive and see how you get on with it. Just because my experience was negative doesn't mean it's not right for you.

cuke2u likes this.
  20. Simonwhite2000

Simonwhite2000 2017 S5 Coupe Daytona Grey

Must be on my own but I found the 1.4 fine. Enough to move the car and nothing more but fine. I imagine it works much better as a manual though.

21. bruce_miranda

bruce_miranda Member

We went from a 2L Diesel 5 series BMW to a 1.4L Petrol A5 Sportback. It's my wife who drives and we are a "light" family. The 1.4L works absolutely perfectly for us. Does not feel underpowered.

cuke2u, Audidave69 and Simonwhite2000 like this.
  22. Audidave69

Audidave69 Active Member TDi Audi A5 S tronic MQB Platform Coupe

And resale will now probably be better as the government has a downer on diesel, I worry no one will want them when it comes to trade in time:(

23. Erf

Erf Member

I ended up cancelling the order due to the WLTP delays and went with a Range Rover Velar D180HSE. Arrives end of this month!