A5 issue... please help

IMI

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this been reading loads of posts and thought I'd get involved.

I have an issue with my a5 sline 2.0 tdi. The car basically died whilst driving no warning lights nothing, got car recovered and garage I took it to discovered that the fuel injector pump had disinterested and had pump metal shards all over the fuel system. To cut a long story short the pump was changed full flush 4 new injectors and fuel pump and got timing belt done at same time. When it was done all was good car ran perfect but it idles really ruff shakes and I get some white smoke from exhaust. Garage goes it's the car cleaning it's self after all the crap was in it, I'm not sure it's been a week and it's still doing it once it's warm not so much but stop at a light and I've joined the red arrows lol. I've done a few spot checks I. E coolant level and oil, the mi reads please drain off oil and if I drive for a while it appears full again? The oil itself looks dark grey and has site white swirl marks like a marble affect. My question. Is the oil like that after a period of time or am I looking at a gasket leak or possibly le miss timed injector or pump or even timing? Any help is really appriciate.

Attachments

• IMG-20160329-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20160329-WA0012.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG-20160329-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20160329-WA0014.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 125
I would stop driving the car. The issue you have is one or more of the injectors is weeping fuel. This is the white smoke you are seeing it's unburnt fuel being vapourised in the exhaust. This is exactly what the red arrows do to produce smoke they inject diesel into the jet exhaust.
The excess amount of oil is actually diesel fuel that finds it's way into the sump diluting the oil .
Carry on driving and you may get a really serious issue. Turbo's don't like diluted oil nor does the engine bearings.If too much oil /diesel builds up in the sump the engine this will cause big issues.
There may still be very small fragments of metal in the system that are causing an injector to stick open.
Also were the injectors new or second hand ? . Injectors ideally need to be coded into the car as they have calibration data on them.
The car needs to go back in and get this resolved. It needs a complete oil and filter change and it shouldn't be smoking at all when you get it back.
What kind of garage did you take it too ?.
Has the car ever had petrol in it by mistake, this can lead to injector pump issues.

Thanks for replying. No the car has never had petrol in it, we'll not since I've had it just over a year, the car was spot on no issues at all. It had a service and when I got it back the mi displayed please drain oil I took it back to the garage and the guy said it needs reseting via computer so he did that and the level when back to saying full. 3 months later it just cut out no warning would not start. I then started to see a red flashing glow plug light. It's really strange I've taken it to another machanic who does alot of diesel work on German cars and he goes timing is way out! Who ever dis your timing is a muppet as they have just used a marker to mark out the position of tensioner not used rods. The injectors I replaced were part warn from a donor audi a5 and the garage said he coded them in along with the injector pump also part warn from same vehicle. The car starts first time no issues but after a short while it shudders and the smoke appears I've noticed that the injectors he fitted are wet around the top seals and also some oil stains sorry not machanic ally minded so fong know the part with oil on but did take some pics if that helps. It's just doing my head in now each garage says a different thing. Thanks for your help it's really really appriciate.

Attachments

• 20160331_232324.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 158
  • 20160331_232340.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 117
  • 20160331_232308.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 144