A5 Interior Choice

Roberto71

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at the A5 as my next motor, changing from a 430d GC.

The interior options on the A5 have the matte brushed aluminium as the standard trim in S Line with the Carbon Inlays as a €1,500 option over here. I like the carbon but that's a hefty price and it could go elsewhere on options.

The matte aluminium looks high quality, I haven't sat in a car with it, is it more than acceptable or is the carbon inlay interior far superior?

It is nice and doesn’t scratch/show marks like the piano black option.

It is high quality and does lift the cabin.

Carbon would be nice but the money is better spent on other options IMO.

The brushed aluminium inlays scratch and dent REALLY easy. Piano black looks nice but is prone to dust and fingerprints. The carbon is an expensive option, but wears 100x better and looks really cool.

The brushed aluminium inlays scratch and dent REALLY easy. Piano black looks nice but is prone to dust and fingerprints. The carbon is an expensive option, but wears 100x better and looks really cool.

What are you doing with yours for it to scratch/dent?

Mine’s 1yo and no scratches or dents ?!

I have the carbon fibre, but a friend had one with the brushed aluminium and it looked a bit of a mess around the centre console area and rear doors after 6 months. He did have kids which probably didn't help. If your careful then shouldn't be a issue I suppose, but I got the carbon on advice from the dealer as I carry kids in the back as well. There are some other threads about complaining about the brushed aluminium, and how easy it marks/dents.

OK. No issues here with the aluminium so hopefully it was just the pesky kids!!

I steered away from the piano black for similar reasons - it scuffs and scratches very easily.

I think the carbon will have a nice coat of lacquer which will help protect it.

Yes, the carbon is very glossy and still looks great. Talking interiors, I really wish I opted for the storage pack! no rear cup holders or seat nets for the kids drinks & travelling junk....a silly decision on reflection. Another annoyance, try finding a rear DVD package for S5 sport seats!! otherwise, a GREAT car.

The Piano black scratches like mad, avoid it like the plague. I had to complain like mad to get mine changed with Audi and in the end I was able to pay the little bit extra and get the carbon ones added in from the S5.

Weirdly the Piano Black in my 13 plate A5 was 4 years old when I got rid of it for the new one and that was a much higher quality.

IMG 1179

Interesting points one and all. A bit to think about. I don’t mind spending more on the cabin as its obviously where you spend most of your time and you have to get it right imho to keep you still interested a year or two into driving the car.

Another option I’m debating is which wheels. I like the turbine design alloys but they’re smaller in width than the other 19inch options, 245 against 255. Yet the Turbines are a lot more expensive, why is that does anyone know?

It is nice and doesn’t scratch/show marks like the piano black option.

It is high quality and does lift the cabin.

Carbon would be nice but the money is better spent on other options IMO.

What are you doing with yours for it to scratch/dent?

Mine’s 1yo and no scratches or dents ?!

I have the brushed aluminium and agree with both the above ^^^

Image001
Image002
Image003
Image004

Last edited:
If owners are so concerned about black plastic trim I suggest you take a look at your black b and c pillars if you are so worried about scratches. I wanted piano black because I chose to be different and there are plenty of ways in which to rid the inside trim of plastic of scratches anyway...

While we're here....what is the experience you guys have had with the Audi dealers?

I've been in Beemers since 2000. Few 3 series, an E46M3 and some 5 Series cars and now the 4GC. It will be a big move for me to go away from BMW as being honest, I've never had a single issue with any of them. The only problem I ever had was twice I had runflat tyre blowouts. The dealers are excellent, they get back to you when they say and they do look after you. If I watch YouTube videos on Audi's, there seem to be a plethora of owners complaining about issues with their cars and the Audi dealers.

Is the A5/S5 reliable? Very bad experience here from an RS3 owner.

While we're here....what is the experience you guys have had with the Audi dealers?

I've been in Beemers since 2000. Few 3 series, an E46M3 and some 5 Series cars and now the 4GC. It will be a big move for me to go away from BMW as being honest, I've never had a single issue with any of them. The only problem I ever had was twice I had runflat tyre blowouts. The dealers are excellent, they get back to you when they say and they do look after you. If I watch YouTube videos on Audi's, there seem to be a plethora of owners complaining about issues with their cars and the Audi dealers.

Hi

Late to reply but no issues with my A5. 16 months in and still love it.

My experience of dealers is mixed. Some are excellent and others are OK but I’ve not had what I’d call a bad one.

I was all ready to sign for a BMW before I got my first Audi!!! Long story short: We went to look at a BMW Z4 in the showroom, asked if someone could put the roof down so that we could see the boot space, the girl went off to get someone, 15 mins later I went looking for the girl, she was sitting down in the office laughing and joking with 3 of the sales guys whilst we were stood there waiting!!! I asked to see the manager and put my point across :p he then kissed a$$ big time :)

The following week we had a new Z4 for a days test drive, took it back very happy with everything, put my spec in and got the price. Sent the sales guy numerous emails over the next two weeks asking when I could come in and order! No reply to any of them!!! Phoned up numerous times asking the same, no calls back to me! So I went to Audi....not perfect but we get there in the end :) As for the cars, I had the S3 for 2.5 years with no problems whatsoever, had the A5 coupe for 9 months and (touch wood) no problems :)