A5 advice

Infamous7856

Reaction score
hello chaps, new to this forum but need some good advice. I currently drive a Audi a4 2.0 TDI SLINE 05 plate. Looking to replace it with a Audi A5, but i have been given some conflicting ideas about it. My price range is maximum 20k. I have been looking at Audi A5 3.0 TDI Black edition 2012. But people keep telling me its not worth spending that much on it as its still the same as a 2007 model. So i am a bit confused. Any advice would be great as i dont have that much knowledge on cars.
Thanks

Last edited:
The A5 was facelifted in 2011 for the 2012 model year so I presume you are looking at a post facelift model then. So it will look pretty much the same as a new car as regards to it's looks.
You are spending the money and you will be driving the car so personally I wouldn't worry about what other people are saying.
You need to get in the car and drive it, the 3.0 TDI is night and day different to a 2.0 TDI and the A5 is a completely different car to your A4.
The Black edition comes with a high spec and you will be getting a lot of car for your money. You could buy a newer lower spec model with lower miles but the driving experience is not the same.
For 20K you could probably buy a virtually new A4 as they are clearing stockrooms for the B9 A4 .

Thanks for the reply, Yes i would hope it was different to the A4, just i love the look of the A5 and the better BHP as i find the A4 a bit sluggish. Just you know how it is some people give you advice oh no its the same engine as the 2007 just a new body. I have been looking at this as its quite close to me, does it seem a good deal? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...=1&search-target=usedcars&make=audi&logcode=p

Looks nice car mate , don't listen to what anyone else says , go drive it and if you like it that's all that matters .

Expand your search to increase the distance and also look at S5 at round that price.

IIRC it has to be a facelift since it is a BE?
A 3.0 TDI will indeed be a fantastic performer

Compared to your current car, it will feel so much better. Just bear in mind the new A5 is due out next year, I think spring time. If you can put it off there could be some great deals.

Thanks wouldnt the running cost and fuel kill me on the s5, Yes its not a urgent buy, the Audi A4 is fine just getting old and getting bored of it. I could wait till spring as prices should drop.

S5 vs 3.0 TDI is a debate that will run and run but at the end of the day only you and your wallet can decide!

3.0 TDI is a fantastic engine and the A5 is a beaut of a car.

Not sure the colour / wheel combo on that one works but it's a good spec, do your research on what model first and then decide on the spec.

If you regret purchasing an A5 I'll be amazed.

Good luck.

Compared to your current car, it will feel so much better. Just bear in mind the new A5 is due out next year, I think spring time. If you can put it off there could be some great deals.
Are you sure about that? Orders are still being taken for the current A5 and I think there was a 6 month gap between the last B8 A4 and the B9 becoming available.

It's been in a few articles that it will debut at the Geneva motor show. Depends how long from that until the UK launch.

I think the B9 A4 first showed up in the UK about 3 months after the Frankfurt show, so maybe we'll see the first coupes in the summer?

I have emailed the garage to arrange a viewing next week, any tips to negotiate the price? also do you think the mileage is ok?

Just let you chaps know, loved the car have put a deposit down, should be delivered to me next week :)

Reactions: desertstorm and Swanny356
Thanks hopefully get it dropped to my house on Wednesday. Was a bit of a struggle to get them to knock money off but they did give in a little , but they did provide a 12 month warranty with warranty assist. Not sure how good the warranty is though.

Loving my car, just have a question about the DPF, I have been on a few longer journeys but the DPF did not kick in, but today took it on a 5 mile journey and it kicked in but wasnt sure what was happening but i parked up at home and could hear the fans going full blast, does that mean it completed the regeneration?