A5 3.0TDI stronic straining sound when in full lock?

thebasix

Reaction score
So the car is A5 3.0TDI Stronic (CDUC) 2013.

When doing full lock steering (either side) from stop I get a straining/jerking sound from the front? I asked in a car service that specializes in Audi and they said it's normal. That doesn't sound normal to me because I drove A5 3.0tdi tiptronic 2009 it doesn't make that sound (straining/jerking/cranking) noise when turning full at low speed (from stop position). Tyres are new by the way.

Anyone has any suggestions. Thanks

it's normal for the torsen based drivetrain.

My 2001 B5 did it. My 2015 B8 does it. Most people will tell you that it's normal.

My 2008 3.0 TDI B8 does it and lots of other Torsen cars I have driven over the years do it. As stated above it's because the Torsen system is a mechanical permanent 4WD system and at full lock the front and rear wheels are describing very different ARC's , meaning they are travelling different distances. This winds up the driveline and results in the tyres skipping and hopping. The amount this happens is determined by the tyre size, grip and the surface you are on.

Hi basix

This also makes a the same sound as my a5. Every time i have my foot of the brake though it makes this sound, when the electric break is on this doesnt happen. Does the steering wheel vibrate when turning ?.