A5 3.0tdi quattro s-tronic G/box problem

Taz1

Reaction score
As per title i have a problem with g/box also mentioned in another post. When in stationary/slow traffic or approaching junction/traffic lights car always feels as if it wants to race fwd. few times iv experienced a violent jerk as if i have been hit from behind so to avoid this i coast it just before i come to a stop. I rung up the indi who has been working on the car before i bought it & he has told me previous owner reported stalling in traffic many times. Is it poss to stall an auto? My question is has anbody experienced similar prob & if i took out warranty would something like this be covered as it could cost a few grand. Thanks.

Reactions: fabiodoo
The S-Tronic is a very complex automated manual gearbox. Not a typical old school auto with a torque convertor.

So if it has an issue it would be very easy to stall the car. Problem with them is when they go wrong they usually end up being expensive to fix because of this complexity.
When was the last time the DSG oil was changed. Should be every 40K miles.
In my experience warranties are usually not worth the paper they are printed on, and it's not really the norm to take them out after a fault has developed .
I suppose the previous owner never mentioned the stalling issues.

Karl.

The S-Tronic is a very complex automated manual gearbox. Not a typical old school auto with a torque convertor.

So if it has an issue it would be very easy to stall the car. Problem with them is when they go wrong they usually end up being expensive to fix because of this complexity.
When was the last time the DSG oil was changed. Should be every 40K miles.
In my experience warranties are usually not worth the paper they are printed on, and it's not really the norm to take them out after a fault has developed .
I suppose the previous owner never mentioned the stalling issues.

Karl.

The oil was changed at 38k. Its not had one since as far as i am aware because its been serviced at indi from then on. Its now on 90k. Iv got it booked in local audi dealer for latest update & oil change but didnt want to spend un-necessary money on it if theres a bigger problem. I only found out abt the stall problem as i found the indi who has stamped book & he mentioned the history/work he has done.

Get the oil and filter changed. It is critical with these boxes that the oil is changed every 40K or sooner even if the car has a hard life. There will be a lot of older cars in years to come with DSG issues, because people won't want to spend the money changing the gearbox oil. VAG are always saying gearbox oil is for life on most cars, on an S-tronic it's most certainly not.
Karl

Get the oil and filter changed. It is critical with these boxes that the oil is changed every 40K or sooner even if the car has a hard life. There will be a lot of older cars in years to come with DSG issues, because people won't want to spend the money changing the gearbox oil. VAG are always saying gearbox oil is for life on most cars, on an S-tronic it's most certainly not.
Karl
Thanks for that. Im really fussy when it comes to cars & i like them spot on. Iv already spent just shy of a grand on coolant flush& re-top as it was contaminated. Had it booked in for various other niggly bits too. Got it booked in for monday for a major service. Is there anythng i should mention to dealer that i want covered apart from the basics covered on major? Thanks

As per title i have a problem with g/box also mentioned in another post. When in stationary/slow traffic or approaching junction/traffic lights car always feels as if it wants to race fwd. few times iv experienced a violent jerk as if i have been hit from behind so to avoid this i coast it just before i come to a stop. I rung up the indi who has been working on the car before i bought it & he has told me previous owner reported stalling in traffic many times. Is it poss to stall an auto? My question is has anbody experienced similar prob & if i took out warranty would something like this be covered as it could cost a few grand. Thanks.

Hi Taz1,

I have a car like yours and I'm experiencing the same problem, mainly when driving at low speeds for long periods of time.
Mine jerks violently when I'm stopping and it shifts to first gear.

Did you already solve the problem? Would be nice to know the solution.

Thanks in advance

also happens with me but after speaking to many audi techs its NOT a problem sometimes after hard driving the gear box will do this, ive had this too but never on a cold engine and or gentle driving.

a s stronic software update and gearbox oil change will not fix this issue it's a mechatronic failure causing no fault codes on vag this happens only from second to one gear ideally both mechatronic must be replaced or reconditioned with the clutch pack looking at about 1.5k to 2k in cost very common problem with the dsg when cold and gets better when the gearbox oil gets warmer only gets worse and worse until complete gearbox failure from when u first notice this u have around 1 month about 3000 miles to fix it it starts off very minor and gets worse as time goes on until it happens when the engine is warm and u get total gearbox demolition which will require a new clutch pack mechatronic gearbox housing costing about 4_ 5k

What's the age of the gearbox? It was revised twice since its introduction in 2009/10.
Based on the problems there have been it would be wise to have the services done more often than 38K. The cost is between £200 and £250 vs a lot more if problems develop.

audi are talking BS it is a mechatronic fault ive had this problem for a long time its a common problem with this gear box Audi want to change the mech and the clutch pack at a cost of 5k :puke2: mine only does it when cold which for now i can live with but it drives me mad audi will try and palm you off with the car is supposed to do that rubbish :wtf: ive had 2 oil changes on my box and made no difference in fact it mad it worst also the software fix might do it but most people say it does nothing and can make it worst...

it is a absolute PITA

basically what Anton200200 said lol

****** I missed that. It's annoying enough when I start reading a resurrected thread but at least I usually realise it before adding a new comment!

At my age being called a school boy is a compliment :)