A5 2.0TDI Quattro 190PS Poor Fuel Economy! ~25mpg

A9001

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an A5 2.0TDI Quattro 190PS Black Edition Plus, November 2015. I bought it second hand from Audi with 8000 miles on the clock in January 2017.

It is killing me on fuel!! I am getting around 200-240 miles per tank (60 litre tank) and no I do not floor it constantly. At it’s first service which was around 3 weeks ago I told Audi about my fuel efficiency. They did a diagnostics check and checked for any leaks and said it was all fine! They put it down to cold weather (even though the mpg has been awful for the whole year!), my driving and stop start traffic driving conditions.

This is not right, has anyone experienced anything like this? If anyone could point me in the right direction I’d be very grateful! Thanks in advance.

What’s your typical journey?

What’s your typical journey?

My daily journey is short (6 miles to work), town + A road and can be stop start. But even on a journey which is a decent length with not much traffic the mpg struggles to go up. It’s pretty sad.

That does sound particularly poor, but I’m not that surprised given your length and type of journey.

To be frank, a diesel is not suitable at all...you’re unlikely to see the higher MPG figures in 6miles of start stop town traffic, and more importantly it’s not going to be doing your EGF or DPF any favours. Particulary given it’s only done 8,000miles for the first 2yrs before you got it...

Economics wise, the higher list price and higher cost of diesel means that a diesel is actually only cost effective for someone doing at least 15k miles per year. If not more. I suspect recent developments mean VAG diesels are drpreciating much faster than before, so this is likely to be even more. Long motorway journeys are also what it’s designed for, and ensures the DPF stays in good condition.

In short, I don’t think the problem is the car, but rather the way you’re driving it, and I would be concerned about costly bills in the near future.

Reactions: alpesh26
That does sound particularly poor, but I’m not that surprised given your length and type of journey.

To be frank, a diesel is not suitable at all...you’re unlikely to see the higher MPG figures in 6miles of start stop town traffic, and more importantly it’s not going to be doing your EGF or DPF any favours. Particulary given it’s only done 8,000miles for the first 2yrs before you got it...

Economics wise, the higher list price and higher cost of diesel means that a diesel is actually only cost effective for someone doing at least 15k miles per year. If not more. I suspect recent developments mean VAG diesels are drpreciating much faster than before, so this is likely to be even more. Long motorway journeys are also what it’s designed for, and ensures the DPF stays in good condition.

In short, I don’t think the problem is the car, but rather the way you’re driving it, and I would be concerned about costly bills in the near future.

Thanks for your reply. Some interesting points there which i’ll bear in mind. However, I was making the same journey in a 54 plate 2.0 tdi A3 and it was giving me 400-450 miles per tank.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Your current vehicle probably weights 50% more than a 54 plate A3 TDi and the stop-start acceleration of town driving is a killer for petrol or diesel.

I have the same car with a DSG box in Sportback and i'm getting around 37mpg but i've noticed this dip down to 35 last few weeks because of the weather. TBH, this combo was never going to be fuel efficient/economical the car is pretty heavy. Your journey wont be helping unfortunatly, I bet the engine is barely getting warm before you're shutting off. Agree with DrEskimo, a petrol would be a good fit for you to avoid the DPF bills in the future

Reactions: DrEskimo
Something isn't right, i own a 3.0 tdi sportback and the worst I will see in freezing conditions on a 9 mile trip to work all A roads is 30mpg it will go as high as 46 mpg on a very long run. This is all according to the trip computer so not entirely accurate. Not much help I know but my car should be doing much worse mpg than you. My mum other half has a4 tdi so similar weight car which is newer with the 2.0 and he alway tells me he's getting 60+ mpg

I’m doing similar runs in a ‘15 177 A4 tdi quattro and so far also finding it’s appalling on fuel. It’s going on a 200 mile trip tomorrow so I’ll check what I get on that run, but so far about 28-29 mpg.

My previous car was an ‘05 M3 and it got 22-23 mpg on the same runs so not very impressed at the moment. Think I’ll crack 300 miles on this tank, but not by much.

I’m in Northern Ireland and for some reason, despite the typically shorter journeys due to the shorter distances than on a larger land mass, over 95% of the 2nd hand market are diesels. I set out trying to buy a 2-litre petrol quattro A5 Sportback but there was only 1 in the country of the right mileage/age and it was a poor spec. Couldn’t find Petrol A4 quattros either so ended up settling on the current one thinking I’d at least get into the 35-40mpg category (our Zafira 1.8 Petrol gets 32). Really hoping it’s temperature related as I don’t think I’d stick 4 years of sub-30s no matter how nice the Black Edition Plus Interior is :)

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have decided that my commute is most likely the reason for this low mpg and is doing the car no good. I have ordered an S3 arriving March 2018. Atleast this way the mpg won’t feel bad!

As i’m not selling my A5 until March, I will still try a diesel injector cleaning fluid and see how that helps.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I have decided that my commute is most likely the reason for this low mpg and is doing the car no good. I have ordered an S3 arriving March 2018. Atleast this way the mpg won’t feel bad!

As i’m not selling my A5 until March, I will still try a diesel injector cleaning fluid and see how that helps.
How does the S3 compare to the A5 diesel mate ??

How does the S3 compare to the A5 diesel mate ??
In terms of fuel economy, getting around 230 miles per tank, 55 litre tank. Haven’t put it in efficiency mode yet as I’m still under 1000 miles (Done about 920 miles so far since 1st March. Didn’t drive it for about 3 weeks as I was away).

In terms of power, obviously it’s another level but I haven’t floored it or red lined it yet! 80 miles to go for that but loving the sound and the crackles and pops!

Reactions: Jcbmally
In terms of fuel economy, getting around 230 miles per tank, 55 litre tank. Haven’t put it in efficiency mode yet as I’m still under 1000 miles (Done about 920 miles so far since 1st March. Didn’t drive it for about 3 weeks as I was away).

In terms of power, obviously it’s another level but I haven’t floored it or red lined it yet! 80 miles to go for that but loving the sound and the crackles and pops!
Getting about 350 miles from mine with mixed driving. I had a diesel before and it averaged 10mpg more but with all the other issue, once it loosens up it does improve plus its a big grin factor.

Reactions: A900
Getting about 350 miles from mine with mixed driving. I had a diesel before and it averaged 10mpg more but with all the other issue, once it loosens up it does improve plus its a big grin factor.
That’s so good! I hope I can get close to 300 once the engine opens up. Smiles per gallon right haha!

Reactions: Jcbmally