A4 V6 Wagon project

Natan

Reaction score
So I picked up a cheapo bus off of gumtree last week. Needed something to cruise about in so I took a leap away from my beloved 1.8Ts and got the 30v 2.8 V6.
Proper grandad spec; green, cream leather, fake wood trim, a minidisc player(!). Has a few wee niggles but nothing too major I hope.

Still needs a good wash and a serious interior valet but for now I'm just cruising about in it before I get it ready for meets and shows of this year.

Got coilovers en route, picking up a set of wheels (hopefully) tonight, and taking it to the exhaust shop at the weekend.

Need to get that tow bar off as well...

Cheers! I'll look into that, maybe those nightbreaker bulbs as well, as the standard ones are terrible.

Picked up my new wheels, got the wrong adapters with them as I'm an idiot, but still a good price nonetheless.

Reactions: harvey01, AlexA4Avant, VAG-Slag and 1 other person
Oh now those could look pretty funky. Tyres look wrong though?

I know what you mean, they're very slightly stretched but 35 profile! there's plenty of tread on them though so I might be able to sell them and move up a size. I reckon the road noise will be horrendous but I'll wait and see.

Been seeing these wheels around for a while now, usually on Mk4 Golfs, but they really suit VAG estates.
Plus, it'll be gold on green, so I can pretend it's a rally car!

Interesting project. Wings look rust free and do I spot a sunroof. Is it electric?

Keep the pictures coming. :yes:

yeh they look like 215/35's from a mk3 golf or Polo or similar instead of the correct 225/40 that a B5 should have. Some decent rubber on there will sort it out.

Interesting project. Wings look rust free and do I spot a sunroof. Is it electric?

Keep the pictures coming. :yes:

Wings aren't too bad, but there's a couple crappy patches behind the front wings. Meant to post a photo up after I washed it yesterday (during the only good weather this year so far!) but I'm just back from a blast up to Perth so it's manky again!
And yeah electric sunroof on this one.

While I'm waiting on coilovers and the exhaust appointment, fitted some 6.5" components in the rear doors today. Still to run all the wiring but I'll get it done for the weekend for both amps so that when I get subwoofers I can just drop them in.

Not been able to do much this week (it's literally been snow, rain, sleet on a rotational basis) but I finally finished running all the wires for the speakers and amplifiers. Put the interior back together and didn't break anything, I'm still in shock! Cue awful photo of amps

I've got a 10" subwoofer I'll use in the meantime before I go for something a bit louder. Just need to connect at both ends and put the door cards back in.

Also, got a present in the post today. This'll give me something to do over the weekend

Had a productive weekend. Also a nice day off today to tidy up, unfortunately didn't have enough time to clean it.

Cool little project, should look good slammed on them wheels... Not sure what everyone's on about with this "wrong tires" talk though, nothing wrong with a bit of stretch!

Cheers!
I'm more worried about noise and wheel protection from such a low profile myself, I've always liked a slightly stretched tyre. I really hope I don't have to raise it much though because I love how it sits at the back now!

Not sure what everyone's on about with this "wrong tires" talk though, nothing wrong with a bit of stretch!

Other than operating the tyre in a manner for which it wasn't designed. Reduced or removed designed sidewall flex. Increased chances of lateral grip loss. Etc etc..

Drifters use stretch on their tyres as it makes it easier to break traction and transition between drifts. Neither of which are desirable characteristics on a road car

looks a bit reverse rakey? Need to lift the back end up a bit...

Theres a point where it doesnt look "low" it just looks like a knackered old car that a builders filled with rubble...

Its very likely just sat on the bump stops, which is not only **** for comfort and handling, but makes the car rather dangerous.

And while disliking stretch, the tyres werent just stretched, they were completely the wrong size. In the same way you wouldnt fit a 275/50R18, because its far too large, you shouldnt be fitting a 215/35r18, because its too small.

There's still 45mm of thread on the coilovers left at each end, with a surprising amount of suspension travel! I'll give it a week to settle in before I try to level it out, I don't want to over correct it.

Other than operating the tyre in a manner for which it wasn't designed. Reduced or removed designed sidewall flex. Increased chances of lateral grip loss. Etc etc..

Drifters use stretch on their tyres as it makes it easier to break traction and transition between drifts. Neither of which are desirable characteristics on a road car

You could argue that modifying a car at all is using it in a manner for which it wasn't designed... Granted, stretch is not ideal for noise, comfort and give (which will have an effect on grip depending on conditions), but plenty of people run a hell of a lot more stretch than that with no issues.

And no, drifters do not run stretched tyres to help brake traction :tearsofjoy: contrary to popular belief, drifters seek as much traction as possible. The more traction = more control over your drift!

Stretch is more of a stance/scene thing... As are Land Rover mondials!

Reactions: Natan
Ok, you know best. I shall dismiss the information provided to me by 2 independent people who drift and my father who has in excess of 40 years experience in the field of tyre research.

Anyway, best of luck with the project OP

Last edited:
Ok, you know best. I shall dismiss the information provided to me by 2 independent people who drift and my father who has in excess of 40 years experience in the field of tyre research.

The only reason you'd use stretched tires on a drift car for purposes of making the rear break traction is if you haven't got enough torque/power to break traction and maintain a slide... Any really drifter/drift car should have more than enough power and traction to suit (i.e not stretched tires)

I don't have the energy or inclination to get drawn into an argument on the subject. No ill feeling, best of luck to you.

Last edited:
Jeez, is the pistonheads forum down or something? :tearsofjoy:

That's the car dropped off for its custom exhaust. Hopefully pick it back up tomorrow afternoon, then a full interior valet at the weekend to lose the smell of old people and faint damp.

Must say I'm really looking forward to seeing the car on the RR wheels... any ideas as to when you'll be fitting them? You'll have to spoil us with a sound-clip of the new exhaust too!

Me too! Still waiting on new adapters and a pair of tyres for them. Fingers crossed for getting them on this weekend.

Well, got round to fitting the wheels and dropped the front by another 10mm while I was at it.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out!

Reactions: Greeny233, VAG-Slag, slepy and 1 other person
you didnt fix the tyres then?

I just bought another two just to try it (two needed replaced); I'll definitely be moving up a size or two next time round though...was creating some cringeworthy speed bump queues behind me today :grin:

Miles of room in the arches as well, so I can go with a bigger tyre and not have to raise it.

Worth the wait. That's a hard looking B5!

Are you happy with how it is sitting or are you thinking of tweaking the ftiment a little? I thought I was going to like the Mondials on the B5 but wasn't totally sure if they'd go with the relatively soft lines of the car... I know they're going to be controversial but in my opinion they look ****** brilliant chap!

I'm not one for telling people what to do, as in my opinion that just stifles creativeness, plus who am I to tell you or anyone how to do things? But from that picture I really do feel that the stance could do with larger rubber and perhaps some spacing to push the wheels out in the arches a little (may just be the pic though, please post more... Want to see more!!)

On the whole, love it.... and you've made me even more excited about getting the new wheels for my B5!

Been looking at it (probably a bit much) but you're right, it needs bigger tyres. I got a good deal on the two replacement tyres so thought I'd give it a bash, but it's not quite right!

Another sunny day today so I'll give it a clean and hopefully a polish.

Reactions: Farmer Broad
The wheels actually seem to work well in an odd way. Had to look a few times before deciding, but I think I like them.

Reactions: Natan
We need more pics!

Gave it a wash and polish in the awesome weather. By the time I finished polishing it was starting to snow...

Reactions: Stanningtonglen, VAG-Slag, slepy and 1 other person
Some clear repeaters will help clean the sides up. Only a few quid from ECP. R-Tec wanted £25 for a pair. Erm.....

The more I see the more I like those wheels on that car. It's an odd colour with an odd wheel choice but it just seems to all work nicely.

I like the colour combo a lot actually. Needs facelift lights.

Big fan of this little project - Not much to start out with, but a few simple mods and she looks the part. Bet she sounds and goes orite as well!?

Seconds on everyone else though: facelift lights, clear repeaters and the wheels spaced out properly will set things off a treat :respekt:

This and @Farmer Broad's thread (which I've just seen crop up) are doing wonders for my motivation to crack on with my B5 project! :grin:

Well I'm firmly in the pre-facelift and keep it amber camp but all I really hope is that the OP does exactly what they want! So far the results are looking mighty fine.... I do have one complaint though; we still haven't been able to listen to the shiny new exhaust that I see hiding in the pictures :tonguewink:

Reactions: VAG-Slag
To clean up the front you could put chrome indicator bulbs and it gets rid of the fried egg look
Uploadfromtaptalk1457597902905