A4 TQS overheating

Energybutton

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for a little bit of advice. I was driving to work on Thursday in my TQS and the coolant temp started to rise > 100c on the dial so I limped it to a layby and walked the rest of the way to work.

The car did have a small coolant leak from the flange at the rear of the cylinder head and I assumed it had finally let go so I ordered the flange which I fitted today, but strangely the coolant level was just below minimum before I started. I got the flange fitted in half an hour and proceeded to try to bleed the cooling system by removing the clamp at the heater hose and letting the car warm and revving it to 2-3k to try to move along any bubbles, I got what I thought was a constant stream of coolant coming from the bleeder and put it all back together however when I went out for a drive the coolant temp shot up again. so I tried to rebleed a few other times but only seem to be getting a trickle from the heater hose now and very little heat in the cab. I'm at a bit of a loss and looking for a bit of advice.

As far as I can see the water pump belt is still intact and moving and I believe these water pumps have metal impellers so I'm not sure if that would be the problem but happy to listen to any advice.

Cheers.

Sounds like potentially pump. Do you have any flow at the header tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine did the same when pump went
Trickled at idle speed but as soon as you give it any revs shaft was spinning but impeller wasn't moving with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I can confirm that the pump had failed, the plastic impeller was spinning on the shaft.

Managed to get it changed over at the weekend