A4 tfsi 2.0 - only 3k on the clock, oil change warning!

jimnastics

Reaction score
I've had my A4 tfsi 2.0 saloon since last September and it's only done 3k miles (change of work circumstances after purchase...). Last week, the oil change required warning started coming up. Surely this can't be right, can it? Anyone had this at such an early stage?

What are the exact details of the message, what mileage have you done and under what kind of conditions?

I am experiencing very similar.

S4 Avant delivered two weeks ago - variable servicing with 18,000 miles remaining to oil change.

I've now done 500 miles (mainly consisting of 30 mile round trips to work, mix of A road and motorway), and that has plummeted to 14,300 remaining to oil change. Last night, drove 5 miles and it reduced by 300 in one go!

I will be into oil change territory by 3000 miles.

In years to come, I think this "condition based servicing" will become known as one of those scams similar to the emissions scandal. It is hard to believe that a few short journeys reduces the oil quality that quickly.

Thankfully, my lease is fully maintained, so not an issue, I'll just chuck the car in for an oil service every 3000 miles - inconvenient though!

Reactions: Jsmills
Attached are the messages I'm getting. Very confusing... 6400 miles / 4 days?!

Attachments

• IMG_20180703_154202 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20180703_154202 (Medium).jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 1,055
  • IMG_20180703_154258 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20180703_154258 (Medium).jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_20180703_154315 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20180703_154315 (Medium).jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 364
Doesn't look right, I do 5k a year mostly urban and my reminders are always spot on. I doubt if it is any such thing as a scam or I would certainly would have early messages. I feel you need to check with your dealership...

Doesn't look right, I do 5k a year mostly urban and my reminders are always spot on. I doubt if it is any such thing as a scam or I would certainly would have early messages. I feel you need to check with your dealership...

Yes meant to say, I'm also only urban driving. I'll give them a ring, though I imagine they will be very keen to get it in for an oil change service...

a sticker under the bonnet or a month/year printed on your build sheet in the service schedule booklet (or maybe even a printed sticker near the front door hinges)

Were you the first registered owner? If so, they probably failed to reset the service interval just before vehicle handover.

Were you the first registered owner? If so, they probably failed to reset the service interval just before vehicle handover.

Yes, I'm the first owner. Can I reset the oil service interval and see what happens? If the oil is in bad shape, I guess it will start warning me again. Or did I run risking the wrath of Audi if I do that?

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Just call your supplying dealer - that doesn't look to be condition based servicing interval so not likely that your oil is in bad shape.

As stated above it seems the supplying dealer during PDI has forgot to reset the service indicator.

Your oil counter looks to have been set to fixed interval from the factory were it has also started to count down.

My partner’s A3 was set to fixed as she only does 3000 miles a year and after a year when it pinged up it needed a service, I rang the dealer to book it in for an oil change. They told me it didn’t need a service and for me to reset the oil change counter myself.

The fixed service interval or 365days or 9000 miles is only a recommendation from Audi and is totally up to the customer if they want to me on fixed or variable even when they do low mileage per year.

Attached are the messages I'm getting. Very confusing... 6400 miles / 4 days?!
Click the reset oil change and have the oil change and inspection at the same time all my Audi have been same I only do around 4K a year

That’s all I did for my partner’s car. Reset the oil counter and did the oil change myself.

Only cost £30 for the oil, filter, and sump plug. All courtesy of our good friend Mike (mjr901).

I’ll go to Audi for it’s 19000 mile 2 year inspection where I’ll get them to do the oil change too and get digital service record updated.

Even with all my cars I do 24000 miles a year and I always change the oil myself at 9000 miles. That’s on a variable service though.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
I've got a 2.0tdi so abit different. I've got the variable servicing and I noticed myself that the servicing schedule would say 3000 miles until the next service, then after a short 30 mile trip this would jump down by around 300 miles!
My car told me exactly on the 2 year point from purchase that it required a service/oil change. This was at 16k miles.