A4 TDI B7 2.0 170 Injector(?) Problems

james1984

Reaction score
Hi all.

My Audi has died and I really need help!

Its a 2007 A4 Avant 2.0 tdi 170 (BRD). I was coming home one day and she cut out and would not restart. RAC put code reader on and came back with glow plug 1 intermittent and injectors 3 & 4 intermittent.

I have put two second hand injectors in, as well as a set of glow plugs. I have also fitted a new injector loom. It still wont start.

There was a little moisture in the ECU compartment and I believe the 395 relay was rodgered, so I have replaced this as well as the 614 relay. There was a little corrosion (blue build up) around the terminals, which I cleared off with a squirt of WD40.

I've just about lost the plot with it now, and require some help. Does anybody have any ideas?

I'd really appreciate any help. I've got the car up as spares or repairs on eBay, but I'd obviously prefer to sort it. I've only just forked out for a new clutch!!

Oh and Audi aren't willing to help either. It went in for the injector recall 30,000 miles ago, and they aren't prepared to do anything else.

Cheers.

if you been in Audi 30k ago they shoud have some warranty ??? my 170 Brd was in Audi 2011 but i bought is 2014 and since then no troubles at all with the injectors... if you ask me - Ask Audi is that their best .. tell them that you will write a review everywhere for there **** CS and they may get in hands

what fault codes is it presenting ? . Is the glow plug light lit ?
These injectors use a piezeo stack to operate the injector instead of a coil used on older style injectors. To operate this requires a high voltage pulse of around 150v. When these fail the insulation breaks down in the injector and that high voltage pulse is shorted to earth. If any injector has an issue all injectors are turned off to protect the ECU.
You need to check the injectors. Measuring with a multimeter between either connection and the body of the injector it should be very high resistance, however when they fail the resistance drops to typically 4-500 oms.
https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/siemens-pd-piezo-injectors
You can get a cheap multimeter from Maplin , screwfix, wilko or several other stores.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-domestic-multimeter-including-battery-bulb-and-fuse-tester-n20ax

Half price multimeter with temperature and continuity.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-83...be/88381#product_additional_details_container

if you been in Audi 30k ago they shoud have some warranty ??? my 170 Brd was in Audi 2011 but i bought is 2014 and since then no troubles at all with the injectors... if you ask me - Ask Audi is that their best .. tell them that you will write a review everywhere for there **** CS and they may get in hands

Hi mate. I've spoken to the branch that carried out the recall (car wasn't in my ownership at the time) and they warrant the replacement parts for two years, rather than covering them for any mileage. Unfortunately the recall was carried out in 2012, so I've got no chance!!

what fault codes is it presenting ? . Is the glow plug light lit ?
These injectors use a piezeo stack to operate the injector instead of a coil used on older style injectors. To operate this requires a high voltage pulse of around 150v. When these fail the insulation breaks down in the injector and that high voltage pulse is shorted to earth. If any injector has an issue all injectors are turned off to protect the ECU.
You need to check the injectors. Measuring with a multimeter between either connection and the body of the injector it should be very high resistance, however when they fail the resistance drops to typically 4-500 oms.
https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/siemens-pd-piezo-injectors
You can get a cheap multimeter from Maplin , screwfix, wilko or several other stores.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-domestic-multimeter-including-battery-bulb-and-fuse-tester-n20ax

Half price multimeter with temperature and continuity.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-83...be/88381#product_additional_details_container

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The fault codes displayed immediately after the car broke down are as follows:

DTC: P0670,Glow plug module 1; electrical malfunction
DTC: P1269,Valve for pumpinjection, cylinder 4; imlausibles signal
DTC: P1266,Valve for pumpinjection, cylinder 3; imlausibles signal

The glow plug light goes out. Its just the check engine light that stays on - or at least if it ran I'm sure it would!!

Cheers.

So have you been able to check the fault codes since you changed the injectors ?How do you know the second hand injectors are any good ? .
If you have an android phone you can buy a bluetooth dongle for £5 off Fleabay and download the torque or Carista app and read the fault codes.

So have you been able to check the fault codes since you changed the injectors ?How do you know the second hand injectors are any good ? .
If you have an android phone you can buy a bluetooth dongle for £5 off Fleabay and download the torque or Carista app and read the fault codes.

I borrowed a cheap code reader from a friend and its not coming back with any faults to do with the injectors or glow plugs. This is why I'm so confused!!

I have a guy coming to look tonight so lets see what happens!

Thanks for you responses.

the easiest way to find out if its one of the injectors is to unplug 1 injector at a time and try and start the car if the car starts thats the faulty one if not plug that bk in and unplug the next one.if the faulty injector is plugged in it is built in to the ecu to cut the engine thats how i found out witch injector was faulty on my car is a 170brd engine hope this helps

Reactions: james1984
Hi all.
A quick update on this problem.
After replacing the injectors, loom and glow plugs with zero success, I got in touch with an ex Audi tech who came to have look at the car. After reading the codes and trying to start the car for a while, by chance he spotted that I had changed the fuel filter recently, and asked whether I had got the old one, which I had. He poured out the residual fuel from the old filter and it was black and oily.
From this, he took off the main fuel line from the filter, placed it in a glass jar and turned the ignition on. The fuel in the car was very dark in colour, and obviously contained engine oil. Apparently, the Tandem fuel pump fails and allows engine oil into the fuel returns and contaminates the entire fuel system.
He told me I needed a new tandem fuel pump, in-tank pump and a thorough clean of the tank and fuel lines. I did all this and it still wouldn't run!!
After a lot of messing, I decided to remove the two injectors that I had fitted and discovered that I had damaged the O-rings when I installed them, meaning there was reduced fuel pressure. I put the original injectors back in and the ****** thing fired straight up!!!!
It was very smokey at first because I believe the exhaust was full of diesel from constantly cranking the engine trying to start it, but its cleared up now and has never run better!!

I believe that the oil in the fuel system caused the Tandem Pump to fail over time, and the reduced fuel pressure threw up a fault code to injectors 3 & 4 (the first injectors in line). From what I have read if there is a problem sensed with the intectors then the engine simply shuts down.

The problem I have now is that there are a few error codes when connecting up to VCDS, which are as follows:

Engine:
001648 Glow Plug Module 1: Glow Plug Circuit: Electrical Malfunction P0670 - 006 - Short to Plus

HVAC
00819 - High Pressure Sensor (G65) 07-10 Signal too low - Intermittant
00532 - Supply Voltage B+: Signal Too Low 53-10 Intermittant.

The engine light is on so I'm hoping to find a cure for this asap. At least its running!!!

Any suggestions on this?

The glow plug fault is related to the glow module itself and not the glow plugs so you need to check the fuse and power wiring.
The HVAC high pressure sensor event may be due to the air con gas pressure being low, so air con needs regassing.

The glow plug fault is related to the glow module itself and not the glow plugs so you need to check the fuse and power wiring.
The HVAC high pressure sensor event may be due to the air con gas pressure being low, so air con needs regassing.

Thanks mate.
Can you tell me where the glow plug module and fuse are? Is it below the ECU? If so, which ones are they? Theres so little info on things like relay and fuse locations online that I'm tired of searching for it!!!
Thanks again.

Hello !
I have a Audi A4 b7 2.7tdi v6 car was ruining perfect till tonight on route home, my glow plug ligh started flashing losses of power fells like the turbo switched off for safety mode, when a restart the car everything works great for few minutes then after few minutes same problem Am definitely sure that the turbo isn't blowing or smoking, what could it be can any one help me thank you. Forgot to say I changed my air filter from the standard one to a KNM air filter could that be the problem, should I changed it back to the original one ?