A4 Tdi 190 s-line depreciation really this quick ?

st3v3

Reaction score
So about 4 month ago I bought my 2016 s-line 190 Tdi having only put a 1000mls on the clock (now at 12200) I though it would still be worth somewhere near the £24995 I paid for it.
Today I asked an Audi dealer for a px value as ive found an S4 I like and was willing to put a few £xxxx towards this to buy it but the valuation I got was a little astounding by,they only valued it at around the £18500 mark!
Now I totally understand how dealers work and they have a business to run but I didn't think for one minute I would have lost £6500 in 4 month?!
Even with the upgraded alloys, tech pack and lighting pack if they weren't on the car does that mean its worth even less?
I usually don't keep cars that long and at somepoint will have either an RS5 or an R8.
I spend then save up and try to build on what I have usually but this time I seem to have crashed and burned lol

Part exchange valuations are probably going to be the lowest you're likely to get. You are probably better off looking in autotrader to get a real value you might get by selling privately..

When the car gets out from factory to client 25% is lost in the first mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: st3v3
Its more or less the 1st year depreciation on a new car, but st3v3 is referring to a pre-owned...

the car is in the 2nd year of depreciation of which I expected to be some (im not that naïve) but to be fair I didn't expect £6500 or there abouts.
In reality in my own mind I had maybe £2000ish,even after such a short time, but I feel im getting high one way and low the other both in the dealers favour and again that's to be expected but not such a huge difference....

The px value i assume would be book price where as the car would be sold and priced according to the extra spec above standard. Might make up some of the difference.

I received £2300 more from WBAC.com than my local Audi franchise would give me when I looked to part exchange my b8.5 S4 with them. They made out they were surprised saying that an Audi main dealer should be competitive with WBAC. They told me to come back if WBAC didn’t honour the higher valuation but they did less £200 for a scratch (which I thought was fair enough)

I bought a 6 month old petrol Avant S-line for £9000 less than brand new one. And this is for a petrol not diesel. I would expect diesels to depreciate even more as they are no longer desirable.

Maybe not so desirable but £6500 in 4 month ??
I feel I’ve let myself down on this one and been “seen coming”
I bought a 6 month old petrol Avant S-line for £9000 less than brand new one. And this is for a petrol not diesel. I would expect diesels to depreciate even more as they are no longer desirable.

I bought the wife a fiesta red edition 999cc ecoboost 140bhp brand new just over 2 years ago, good spec and only on 17500 miles yesterday i got offered £7000 on a trade in????

Way more than 50% deprecation i'd have thought super economical 1 litre sporty petrols would hold better 2nd hand values, but i was wrong....

I HATE px values

I don't think this is quite true. The GFV is still more for a diesel car than that of a petrol - very little between the two now, showing that Petrol will take the lead in the next year or two though.

1st July 2017, list price £52k, paid £39k, 9000 miles later Land Rover trade in price £31,500, WBAC as picture, the car is personal leased and will be swapped when the time is right but for a private these numbers must be scary. F3395EC5 C00A 45D8 BAB5 4395B05A4EA3

A number of factors really you have to consider in relation to part ex prices for the car and what affect they have.

1) The public are now scared of diesels due to misinformed information relating to new taxes on older diesels so now they think it also means newer cars.

2) People can still be wary of VAG diesels after the emissions scandal and probably prefer a petrol one on that basis.

3) Audi’s are not a rare site on the roads, and now sell in large numbers meaning a lot of choice exsists in the market. I would imagine more A4’s these days are sold than say Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo, Vauxhall Insignia etc...

I bought the wife a fiesta red edition 999cc ecoboost 140bhp brand new just over 2 years ago, good spec and only on 17500 miles yesterday i got offered £7000 on a trade in????

Way more than 50% deprecation i'd have thought super economical 1 litre sporty petrols would hold better 2nd hand values, but i was wrong....

I HATE px values
That seems too low but it will be based upon the overall condition and mileage, we have just p/x a 2013 fiesta titx 1.0 99ps engine for £7200 on the new model, collecting it tomorrow in fact....

When the car gets out from factory to client 25% is lost in the first mile.

Not always. It depends. I lost less than 12% after 12 months and 8k miles on a M135i LCI. BUT that was selling privately.

OP, sorry to hear that as £6.50 per mile is painful but that's actually not a bad offer. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201711131198215?advertising-location=at_cars&keywords=S-Line&radius=1500&model=A4&postcode=bn149lb&sort=price-asc&year-from=2016&quantity-of-doors=4&maximum-mileage=20000&make=AUDI&maximum-badge-engine-size=2.0&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&fuel-type=Diesel&page=1

Last edited:
I shall carry on saving now till I can afford my s4, I think if im honest the RS5 will have to wait till the mortgage is finished in 5 years time.
Im fortunate that both my kids have now flow the nest so to speak and I only have my wife to keep happy.....

In reality it has depreciated in line with your expectations. A dealer will want/need between £3,500 and £5,000 margin in each car. In offering you £18,500 it will go back on forecourt at £22-23k.

You’ll lose less selling private but may have to wait .

Reactions: ColinM
So about 4 month ago I bought my 2016 s-line 190 Tdi having only put a 1000mls on the clock (now at 12200) I though it would still be worth somewhere near the £24995 I paid for it.
Today I asked an Audi dealer for a px value as ive found an S4 I like and was willing to put a few £xxxx towards this to buy it but the valuation I got was a little astounding by,they only valued it at around the £18500 mark!
Now I totally understand how dealers work and they have a business to run but I didn't think for one minute I would have lost £6500 in 4 month?!
Even with the upgraded alloys, tech pack and lighting pack if they weren't on the car does that mean its worth even less?
I usually don't keep cars that long and at somepoint will have either an RS5 or an R8.
I spend then save up and try to build on what I have usually but this time I seem to have crashed and burned lol
The first thing that stands out to me.. £25k four months ago seems rather high for a 2016 S-Line 190, even with alloys/tech/lighting. Only last month, I saw a pre-reg MY2018 67 plate A4 2l TDI 190 S-Line S-tronic with tech pack for £25k. Thus it looks like you perhaps "bought high" and would indeed be "selling low" through a part-ex, so the loss looks much greater.

Probably best to hold on to it for a bit longer, when the depreciation will be a bit easier to stomach!

I think diesels will suffer more than petrols will,it will be "sorry but diesels are not as popular now "stories from the dealers.
Im sticking with petrol and next time , possibly move to the next Q3.

This is 'sort-of' on the topic, ...anyway....
***HAPPY NEW YEAR*** ....yes, I know, we are UTC + 10, so a little late.
The GOOD NEWS - it is the birthday for every vehicle, like horses really, as every horse has a birthday on 1st August, well in the Land of OZ.
The BAD NEWS - now every vehicle is a year older, so.... any valuation done in 2017 will be out of date, because our Audis are now worth less.:angry::cry::rage:

YNWA