A4 Start/Stop

Neil Wilkinson

Reaction score
Hi guys, does anyone know how the start/stop feature works? I understand certain criteria has to be met for it to work. When it cuts the engine I always thought you had to press the clutch in to start the engine again? On my A4 when it cuts the engine it starts up again approx 20 seconds later when say I'm still sat at the lights. It's that annoying that I always disable it when I get in the car

Any help appreciated

haya, yeah that is normal. the below items generally stop or start it:

Aircon.. in order to maintain aircon temp, car will either not engage stop mode if inside ambient isnt the same as airconvalue/climate control set..
or if it did meet this critera and the cars stop mode engaged, when the ambient temp drops or increases below/above climate control set it will come back on.
Heating temp much the same as air con conditions to start/stop.

Engine temp and outside temp.. if it is very cold the engine may stay on till it is at operational values, not so much in warmer climate though
and in the summer, if it is very hot, the stop mode wont engage allowing the engine coolant/fans to maintain temp of the engine.

battery.. if the battery is low on charge or near end of life, stop start wont engage to protect the battery

Thanks for reply, seems a bit daft though that the car will cut the engine but then restart it when you don't want it to I.e. Sat at traffic lights, surely it should only restart when you depress clutch?

no, it starts again to maintain either cabin temps or engine temps depending on conditions :)

I know ours do for sure.
been in this car over 4 years no, I can pretty much predict wether mine will switch off or come backon. I tend to switch off the climate control when at traffic lights to stop the engine coming back on if i think i will be sat a while. But it very hot summer or very cold winter the engine temp tends to take presidence and it will come on regardless.
You can code the stop start to not be enabled by default, but i am not aware that you can change it so that it doesnt turn back on in the conditions you dont like it to.

Mines the same and my e90 bmw did the same.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

First bit of coding I did on this car was to set it to default to off. Never touched the switch on the dash!

[QUOTE=" It's that annoying that I always disable it when I get in the car

Any help appreciated[/QUOTE]

You can use the Carista App now to disable the stop/start feature

See here for more details http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/carista-app.237050/

It is an easy alternative to use if you are not good at coding.

Plus you can find out other bits to play with!.

- Go to Module 09-Cent. Elec.
- Enter Security Code (shown up by default) (mine was 20113)
- Go to Adaptation, Type Channel 34 and hit Read button, it should show the factory default number in value window.
- Subtract 4 from factory default number/value to disable Start&Stop every time engine is started.
- Test & Save