A4 Start/Stop system problems

Neil Wilkinson

Reaction score
Sorry if it’s been asked before but I’m having some issues with the start/stop function.

Basically it cuts the engine when required, however after aprox 10 seconds it’s starts the engine again when I don’t want it to start (sat at lights etc). For me personally I find myself knocking the system off as it appears pointless and I’d expect it to only start the car when I depress the clutch?

Anyone else have any experience of this?

Sorry if it’s been asked before but I’m having some issues with the start/stop function.

Basically it cuts the engine when required, however after aprox 10 seconds it’s starts the engine again when I don’t want it to start (sat at lights etc). For me personally I find myself knocking the system off as it appears pointless and I’d expect it to only start the car when I depress the clutch?

Anyone else have any experience of this?

Most probably the battery quality is low. Take it to a motorfactors and have it checked.

Reactions: Neil Wilkinson
Most probably the battery quality is low. Take it to a motorfactors and have it checked.

So what you’re saying is it shouldn’t start the car with me depressing the clutch? I’d expect it to cut the engine for as long as necessary. I’ll check the battery, but had no warning lights or previous issues with battery.

So what you’re saying is it shouldn’t start the car with me depressing the clutch? I’d expect it to cut the engine for as long as necessary. I’ll check the battery, but had no warning lights or previous issues with battery.

Sorry I missed that. Stationary, out of gear, clutch released and the engine will turn off. Just depressing the clutch will start the engine again, I think pressing the brake pedal 5 times does the same too.

It is numerous different parameters that need to be on spot, for the system to activate and stay off. Temp, inside, outside, engine, coolant, oil, battery power, etc etc etc...

If requierments isn't met the engine starts. All of this is described in the handbook found in the glove box.

Seems to much like a farce if I’m honest, the likelyhood that all those parameters will be met mean it’ll hardly ever work as it should.

Seems to much like a farce if I’m honest, the likelyhood that all those parameters will be met mean it’ll hardly ever work as it should.

It works fine for me.

If the engine is too cold or the oil temperature isn't good, it wont stop/start it as constant stopping and starting of a cold engine will cause damage.

The outside and inside temperature is if you have the heater or air con on. So if you set the air con to 17C but its 25C inside the car, it wont stop the engine and instead prioritise keeping the aircon going. Same if you have the heater on.

The battery check is common sense really, it checks the power output as well as keeping a record of how well its been starting so if the battery quality isn't good enough to start the engine and quickly, it wont stop/start.

It does check a lot of things but those checks are there to ensure the Stop/Start doesn't degrade the engine, affect your comfort or become dangerous by not starting quick enough.

When in traffic, hand brake off, out of gear, release the pedals, take a moment and let the car deal with the stop/start.

yup as above, mostly if its cold outside, it pops back on after not very long atall to maintain temp, and if the air con is on pops its self back on very quick too.
As already said by a few, battery etc are also taken into account for the start stop system.