A4 sport suspension questions?

eggmaster2

Reaction score
Hi all, i have an 04 Avant 1.9Tdi sports which i'd like to drop the suspension on. I was in the process of order some 30mm front and 20mm rear springs when i wondered whether I needed specific springs for the sports suspension?

By the looks of it mine sits a little lower than normal a4's so do i just buy normal lowered springs or do i need to take into account the current height of the sports model? I asked at the dealer but they couldn't help me. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks guys, James.

I believe the Sport models are 20mm lower than the equivalent SE spec. I havent got much suspension experience, but lots on here have and will advise you soon I'm sure.

the sport's pretty low compared to a standard se, maybe 25 to 30mm i reckon, se's look like theyre on stilts lol

however, lower is lower, if you specify your motor is a sport when you get a quote or order suspension, coilovers etc, ask if they are lower than the oem audi sport ones. I guess most suppliers will know-ish or will stock a version for the sport?

Will the standard shocks be able tom handle just springs? Surely they will be shot after not long.....

May want to consider a spring/shock kit?

aye do coilovers or shock & spring combo, oem shocks arent good on lowered springs.

The 30 or 20mm lowered springs will be quoted as lowering the car from standard (ie se) ride height so you will notice very little difference, if any from the standard sports suspension mate.

The Sport is about 15-20mm lower then the standard SE. All lowering springs are listed heights from standard so for your's you really need to be taking about 15mm off. So that kit would end up being around 15mm at the front and 5mm at the rear.

In my opinion, a good kit for the Sports is the H&R 35mm all round springs.

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ind...uct_info&cPath=1924_1953_1993&products_id=631

It is always best to get matched springs and shocks as the car will handle and perform better and standard shock tend to wear a lot quicker with lowering springs. You will get away with it more having Sports shocks already though.

Damian @ DPM

Thanks thats a big help.. I was thinking of shocks and springs i'll look into that more. So if im after a 30mm drop at the front and a 20mm at the back then i should go for a 45mm front and 35mm rear to give me the subtle look im after?

Cheers i'll check with the manufactures of the springs/shocks before ordering and i'll put some before and after photos up when I do the work..

James

Some people find coilovers too harsh for everyday use unless you're spending a fair bit of money on a really good set. Being able to set the ride height exactly how you want it is very attractive though.

Damian @ DPM

Damian @ DPM

i can recomend H&R springs from damien as i bought a set and there still going strong on standard shocks a year on

Thanks guys, I got some H&R 45 shocks.. See how they go and maybe upgrade when im not so skint.

Ill put up some photos when i've done the work :yes:

James

Question to Damien@DPM (sorry to hijack the thread lol) - do you sell extended wheel bolts for fitting spacers? I got 10mm spacers for the rear but the bolts are too short to use after fitting them so theyre back in the boot :(