A4 S Sline 2015 Xenon Headlight

c_tahoe

Reaction score
Hi,

This week my left side headlight went out on a night drive and triggered a warning but then came back. After stopping and re starting the engine, the error went but the light started flickering and then lost its colour temperature and went more tungsten / orange. It is currently working but at an off colour.

Does this sound like bulb symptons? D3S HID's. Or something more expensive?

If it is the bulb. Has anyone changed one with success at home? After doing some research, there is either the bumper off attempt with lots of part to take off or the rather tight wheel arch cover access point.

The questions is, is this something reasonable to try at home and order bulbs online. Or pay a garage to do it with the inflated bulb prices on top. They charge by the hour....If it took one hour the cost different is 208 garage and 112 at home.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-03-23 at 08.14.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-23 at 08.14.47.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 55
Bulb or possibly ballast on its way out - much more likely to be the bulb with the change in colour temperature.

Yes it’s a substantial parts removal job so may as well do both sides at the same time for the cost of the additional bulb. The standard approach is bumper off though I have heard of a couple of folk trying through the wheel arch liner.

Reactions: c_tahoe
Cheers, so I gambled on the bulb, went with Osram, got 2 for £112 and a local bodyshop where I was working that week to fit them as I thought it was a body work job not a mechanical. Worked a treat, £40 for labour and was done in a few hours. The most expensive bulb change I have ever had though but sorted :)

Reactions: A3SLine2014