A4 S-Line 190 TDI Ultra

Nick_B

Reaction score
Hi guys

Am planning to order an A4 S-Line 190 TDI Ultra S-Tronic as my next company car – ending a run of two BMW 3 series. Unfortunately the dealer seems to be lacking in product knowledge so wondering if you could help me with some questions.
  • I am planning to order the 190 TDI Ultra variant. From what I can see the Ultra variant means you cannot spec 19” wheels, spec the comfort suspension, the towing weights are slightly lower and the top speed is reduced from 149 to 130 mph – the acceleration / engine outputs are identical. Apart from these, which are not important to me, are there any material differences between the Ultra and non-Ultra variants? Any reason why I would not chose Ultra and save a few quid in BIK?
  • I am tempted to go from the adaptive sport suspension (both my previous BMW’s had adaptive suspension). Any thoughts on this system?
  • Electric seats are an expensive option which I think I can do without, they also need to be combined with electric mirrors – do the manual seats offer exactly the same adjustment options as the electric ones, specifically being able to adjust the angle of the seat base? Not clear from the configurator.
  • Matrix headlights – are they worth it?
  • Fuel / Ad blue tank – strange to offer a zero cost option to increase their capacities to 54 / 24 liters respectively – any reason why you would not want the bigger tank?
I am new to Audi so any advice really appreciated.

Cheers

I have the manual seats on the basis that I'm the only driver and I'm average height so don't slight the seat back to get out of the car. Seat adjustment is pretty good - you get
  • back rest - recline angle
  • seat height - up / down
  • seat position - forward/back
  • seat bottom angle - up / down
  • seat leg extension - forward, back (in/out)
  • 4 way eclectic lumbar support.
Hope that makes sense.

With the electric/memory seats, you also get auto dimming driver's mirror, which is not available on the dimming rear view mirror / folding wing mirror package - worth considering but I've not missed the dimming driver's mirror.

Reactions: Nick_B
I can definitely vouch for the adaptive sport suspension, although it’s worth bearing in mind that when you set the car in dynamic it will revert to a “softer” state (susp, throttle and gearshift) once you switch the ignition off meaning that you will have to reselect dynamic each time you start the car.
Matrix headlights - yes. Just yes.
The smaller size option of the adblue and fuel tank is, I believe, just a way to reduce weight and therefore assist in the economy figures they can publish (same story with the wheel size). I would recommend to go with the larger

The Ultra sits 20mm lower to improve drag. Just checked the configurator for 2.0tdi 190ps Ultra/non-Ultra and 0-60/top speed are no different just better Co2 and mpg on the ultra (UK spec). The reason they don't spec 19's on the Ultra is to comply with the statement regarding Co2/mpg (yes, yes, VW scandal aware) otherwise it would just be the same as the non-Ultra.

I have the manual seats on the basis that I'm the only driver and I'm average height so don't slight the seat back to get out of the car. Seat adjustment is pretty good - you get
  • back rest - recline angle
  • seat height - up / down
  • seat position - forward/back
  • seat bottom angle - up / down
  • seat leg extension - forward, back (in/out)
  • 4 way eclectic lumbar support.
Hope that makes sense.

With the electric/memory seats, you also get auto dimming driver's mirror, which is not available on the dimming rear view mirror / folding wing mirror package - worth considering but I've not missed the dimming driver's mirror.

I have a demo over the weekend - and assuming I like the car I will place the order next week. Not too many options ticked as will be a company car - spec I have almost decided on is.

- Saloon 190 TDI S-Line Ultra S-Tronic
- Scuba blue metallic
- Matrix lights
- Adaptive suspension
- 54 liter fuel / 24 liter AdBlue tanks

I was considering the sunroof - but being 6ft 4 I am reluctant to spec any option that reduces headroom.

Cheers,

Reactions: Jcbmally
I have a demo over the weekend - and assuming I like the car I will place the order next week. Not too many options ticked as will be a company car - spec I have almost decided on is.

- Saloon 190 TDI S-Line Ultra S-Tronic
- Scuba blue metallic
- Matrix lights
- Adaptive suspension
- 54 liter fuel / 24 liter AdBlue tanks

I was considering the sunroof - but being 6ft 4 I am reluctant to spec any option that reduces headroom.

Cheers,
Nice spec, I would also recommend the extended interior lights, well worth £100.

Hi Guys - and thanks for all the advice.

I am just about to place my order or will do no Monday.

My spec is going to be Saloon 190 TDI Ultra S-Tronic S-Line, matador red, matrix lights, adaptive sports suspension, extended interior lights & storage pack, 54 liter fuel / 24 liter AdBlue tanks.

The only undecided choice would be the tech pack. My demo car had this, along with the virtual cockpit and whilst it is undoubtedly very impressive, I am wondering whether for me it is work the additional £1.4K.

Are the any major differences in functionality for the navigation? I know that you do not get automatic updates as the map data is SD card based and the screen is slightly smaller. Does the standard (non tech pack) nav contain full European maps.. that would be vital for me as I make frequent trips to the continent.

Interested to hear opinions of the standard system – and anyone who has any regrets in on not speccing the tech pack?

Thanks all

Hello there...my car came with the tech pack and I've had courtesy cars without.
For me it's worth it....the screen is not only bigger but much higher resolution and nicer to look at. You also get hand writing recognition as there is a touchpad on the scroll wheel. Sounds like a gimmick at first, but once you get used to it it's a breeze to use. So much quicker and easier to use than "click click click select"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hello there...my car came with the tech pack and I've had courtesy cars without.
For me it's worth it....the screen is not only bigger but much higher resolution and nicer to look at. You also get hand writing recognition as there is a touchpad on the scroll wheel. Sounds like a gimmick at first, but once you get used to it it's a breeze to use. So much quicker and easier to use than "click click click select"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Seconded. Absolutely essential to get the tech pack in my opinion.

Hi Guys - and thanks for all the advice.

I am just about to place my order or will do no Monday.

My spec is going to be Saloon 190 TDI Ultra S-Tronic S-Line, matador red, matrix lights, adaptive sports suspension, extended interior lights & storage pack, 54 liter fuel / 24 liter AdBlue tanks.

The only undecided choice would be the tech pack. My demo car had this, along with the virtual cockpit and whilst it is undoubtedly very impressive, I am wondering whether for me it is work the additional £1.4K.

Are the any major differences in functionality for the navigation? I know that you do not get automatic updates as the map data is SD card based and the screen is slightly smaller. Does the standard (non tech pack) nav contain full European maps.. that would be vital for me as I make frequent trips to the continent.

Interested to hear opinions of the standard system – and anyone who has any regrets in on not speccing the tech pack?

Thanks all
I had it on my last A4 but don't on my current one, to be honest I don't really miss it.