A4 roof bars

me77or

Reaction score
Evening all

I'm usually lurking around on the S3 8P forum, but as we've had a new addition to the family in the shape of our new (well 06) a4 B7 Avant 2.0TFSI S Line so I'm lurking here too!

We got the car on Sunday from Chrome motors in Macclesfield, but unfortunately we didn't get the key to remove the roof bars. They whistle like hell when you go above 30mph so I'd love to get them off ASAP!

Could anyone please tell me if the bars look like OEM or aftermarket? I would rather try and get a key made to take them off and re-use them but if needs msut I guess I could drill the locks out.

HTIur4

PUefsy

Any help would be gratefully accepted!

Cheers

Nick

Aftermarket. Do you want to keep them? If not, I suggest a screwdriver - I doubt those locks are up to much. Decent bars won't whistle.

Cheers guys. That's what I feared. But you've come up with an awesome idea ESD1711! There is a code on the lock (035 from memory) so I'll take another closer look and see if I can get a key cut.

Thanks for all the replies, very much apprecieated!

No problems at all - most of these locks tend to be the same.

If you can establish the make of the bars you might be able to narrow it down - but you'll defo be able to get a set of keys cut for them.

Might not work - but for the sake of a couple of quid, gotta be worth a shot :)

I have those on my avant,the lock only moves the red plastic part that covers the 6 mm Allen key. If I were you I would drill a 7mm hole in the plastic red cover and use a long 6mm Allen key to remove them.

Awesome. Cheers sumo - that's good to know. If the new key idea doesn't work I'll just drill the plastic out.

Thanks very much people!

Get a small key and jiggle it up and down wile trying to turn the barrel left and right,it should jump the barrel eventually.