A4 rear brake carrier bolts

Andy9

Reaction score
Hi all, I've recently bought a 2004 A4 1.9tdi quattro and upon giving the car agood looking over I decided to replace the rear brake discs/pads and remove and refurb the brake calliper at the same time as the handbrake didn't seem to be holding the car as it should, however today I removed the pads and calliper but someone has butchered the 8mm hex carrier bolts and so I was unable to remove the brake disc and so I have put everything back together and left it, I have ordered new bolts from leicester audi but upon lookin on the internet it says the discs can be removed without removing the caliper carrier at all ??, does anyone know if this is the case?, as a last resort I thought about unbolting the complete hub with the carrier attached and try and remove them somehow ?, does anyone know the best way of removing these bolts in this situation, any help will be gratefully received, cheers andy

I changed my rear discs without removing the carrier. Remove disc brub screw, tap the disc with rubber mallet to free it from the hub as it will usually be rusted on there and then it just comes off at an angle so as to avoid the carrier.

You can also remove the caliper without the carrier, a 13 mm bolt on the end of both slides and use a 15 mm spanner to hold the slides while undoing the 13mm (those are the bolts that usually come with new pads) Caliper will then slide (forcibly) back. I think it's better doing it this way as it allows better access and you can also check that the slide move freely.

He's already got the caliper off as he said. He just wasnt sure if the disc would come out with the carrier still on. It will.

He's already got the caliper off as he said. He just wasnt sure if the disc would come out with the carrier still on. It will.

Fair enough , pretty obvious from there that the disc comes off though.