A4 Quattro 1999 Hub Nut removal

beachbuggy

Reaction score
Can anyone let me know what size the socket/Allen key is needed to remove the hub nut on the above car.

Looking at it, it looks like a large allen key, but not sure if it's a special tool or something I can pick up from Halfords.

many thanks

It is just a large allen key, nothing special.
I think it may be 17mm but not 100% sure.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain it is 17mm (with a big extension bar attached for leverage FTW).

front or rear?

Front is 17mm on cars with the larger 82mm bearings, and 14mm on cars with the smaller 75mm bearings.
Rear is 14mm

Yes mine is a 17mm allen key on one side, but worryingly the other side is a 27mm bolt, no idea why, but ****** annoying as I had to cycle a few miles to get a socket that size as its not exactly standard. Remember to loosen it before you take the wheel off, how many times have I made that mistake!

Early cars had normal hex heads rather than the stupid internal hex keys. Why they changed it is beyond me.

Is your car early? if so perhaps the bearing on the side with the internal hex has been changed previously?

I also found the same, which just reminds me I must order two new bolts, anyone know the costs?

Hi, its a 99 v Reg. I bought a 17 mm hex socket and it did the trick fine. Doubt anythings been changed on this car as its a low mileage 1 owner car. Same disk and pads which is where the problem lay. All the hex bolts on the rear had seized and I ended up removing the hub to get the bolts out!

Thanks for all your help.

Make sure you get a good one and it's properly seated . These canbe very tight indeed . Halfords don't do one and don't use a sump plug key either . I ended up buying a rack of Allen sockets just for the 17 but I'm sure if your not ina rush you could find/ borrow one