A4 DTM Quattro Lowering spring choices

ramboDTM

Reaction score
Ok, sorry for starting a new thread, as I've searched and searched, and yes, theres loads of threads about lowering springs, but seems to be mostly FWD. However, there doesnt seem to be a massive amount about quattro lowering springs.

As I see it, there is only really two choices: H&R 45mm, or Eibach Pro 30mm.

Now, ideally I'd of liked the Eibach 40/50mm sports, but they dont make them for a quattro. So my question is, are the Eibach 30mm more comfortable than the H&R 45mm, and if so how much??

Also, would 30mm Eibachs really be worth it, as they will only lower the car by 10mm, unless they give a much better ride?

Sorry for another spring thread, and to be honest, the only real option is H&R's, but just thought I'd get some opinions first

thanks

Hi mate, I have the h&r's fitted and it actually lowers it 35mm as there already 10mm lower than standard.

As far as comfort goes I can honestly say the ride is virtually the same as stock dtm springs and it sits perfectly in my eyes

Quick pic

Reactions: Pedrödelabongo, Khanage and Charlie Farley
cheers mate

you'd be surprised how difficult it is to find an a4 quattro saloon with 45mm springs, that doesnt have 19in wheels, or perches etc etc (unless im just stupid of course lol)

a lot of people say the ride is better, when you say its virtually the same, do you mean the same but harder and firmer, or the same as in spongy and crashy lol

cheers mate

you'd be surprised how difficult it is to find an a4 quattro saloon with 45mm springs, that doesnt have 19in wheels, or perches etc etc (unless im just stupid of course lol)

a lot of people say the ride is better, when you say its virtually the same, do you mean the same but harder and firmer, or the same as in spongy and crashy lol

The same in a Good way mate, not to soft like before and more of a firm ride but without being harsh. Being honest its the first thing I'd do to the dtm. Mine sits on standard 18" wheels standard tyre size and no spaces etc.... Hope that helps

cheers mate

yeh, its normally one of the first major mods I do to most cars that sit high

mines on standard wheels without spacers too, so should be good looking at yours

Ash that looks spot on do you have any issues with speed bumps as I'm In The same situation. Looking for some new springs

If you do a search on this forum you will find a 50/50 mix of positive and negative reviews.

I found the ride very 'bouncy' on stock dampers, certainly not sporty feeling in the slightest. Not compared to the Koni Sport kit or Eibach coilovers I have had on previous cars. I switched back to the standard S-line springs in the end as I felt the handling was better!

well I cant find much mention of a 50/50 split, but thats just me

and well, christ, if you're comparing them to 1k's worth of coilovers, then yeah, I guess they arent great, but at £140 for just the springs, I think people are content with them.

I would personally prefer Eibach springs (as they prob give a slightly better ride), but in my opinion are pointless on a sport suspension quattro, as they barely lower the car at all.....

How does the 'standard' DTM quattro ride height compare to an S Line Quattro? my understanding is the S Line sits around 20mm lower than SE spec, so is DTM lower still or same as ?

At the same point with mine, ironically the back is perfect, ( the springs have 'settled' over time - common issue I believe ) just the fronts would need 20 - 25mm drop from to match up

I know coillies are really the way to go, but kinda don't want to be left with the ( self obsessed ) urge to fiddle , would rather just fit new springs and matched dampers and be done with it ! Really not looking to go too low

Will watch with interest as the options unfold , hope you find the right solution for you :icon thumright:

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Gary - you say your Quattro sits lower at the back, it should be level.

Have you checked the rear springs have not snapped? only reason I ask is both the A4 Avant Quattros I've owned have snapped the lower coil on the rear springs. It's quite hard to see with the wheels on due to the size of the lower arms so rarely picked up on MOT's

First off; apologies to RamboDTM for piggy-backing on his thread, however, I hope some replies may well be relative to your original question.

@Cyrix - I'd imagined it should be level, I have had a look at the rear springs, doesnt appear that the coil spring has snapped, well, at least theres no section of snapped spring sitting in the locating 'seats' of the rear arm, but I guess that could easily have been removed, or come out, at some point prior to me owning the car.

Will post up a couple of pics a bit later, it might add some context to the query !

well just to add my bit, my sline avant quattro sit's low at the back too, and the springs look nearly new, front is a bit higher same as gary's.
from my understanding , the quattro sline avants do sit quite low on the rears , squat maybe a better description, i think wheel/tyre sizing is relative too with sline suspension, 18" rims with big rubber look and fill the rear wheel arch on my better than the 17" rims, 19" would look better still but i prefer the factory 18" fitment.
when i finally sort everything else out i was looking to get some decent shorter springs for the front of mine, just to get things in proportion, nothing too mad.

Ash that looks spot on do you have any issues with speed bumps as I'm In The same situation. Looking for some new springs

Sorry for late reply mate, I have no issues at all regarding speed humps but you do have to watch the high kerbs when parking nose first although I never have been one to park as close to the front as I can lol

How does the 'standard' DTM quattro ride height compare to an S Line Quattro? my understanding is the S Line sits around 20mm lower than SE spec, so is DTM lower still or same as ?

At the same point with mine, ironically the back is perfect, ( the springs have 'settled' over time - common issue I believe ) just the fronts would need 20 - 25mm drop from to match up

I know coillies are really the way to go, but kinda don't want to be left with the ( self obsessed ) urge to fiddle , would rather just fit new springs and matched dampers and be done with it ! Really not looking to go too low

Will watch with interest as the options unfold , hope you find the right solution for you :icon thumright:

Hi mate, mine was sat exactly as you describe with the rear sitting perfect and the front in need of a 20/30mm drop.

After fitting the 45mm h&r kit the rear didn't change at all but solved the nose high issue, I have the old springs still sat in my garage and the original rears hadn't suffered from a broken coil as suggested but we're simply well bedded in or tired lol

My recommendation would be for the h&r's, they are 100% comfy, fit for purpose and look the part without having to tinker or adjust coilovers and are a fraction of the cost

That's good then think I might get myself a set now. Not sure if I should go for the b5 perches up front aswel or it will be to low for speed bumps

Well, I feel I need to apologise to Cyrix on this one, as I have now been running these H&R's for a month or so now, and I've got to say, my own personal experience of the H&R purple sport springs is crap.

I even changed the shocks to Bilstein B8's, but they just seem to bounce and knock on every little imperfection, and yet on bigger things such as speed humps, they are fine, which is really weird??

so moving on from this, I guess the only option is Eibach 30mm springs?? I like Eibach, but didnt choose them because they dont lower it by much, but I guess there isnt much choice??

Unfortunate but the only way to find out is to make your own opinion. I was pretty dissapointed as H&R generally make pretty good parts.

im on h&r 45s plus b5 perches and a rs4 rear arb on a quattro avant ,stock ride was very crashy and high at the front,it sits level now and although firm not as crashy,i will be changing my dampers too this year but not sure what to get maybe be h&r shocks to match the springs.

I have quatro manual gear with
H&R
Ajustable, looks and feel good

Well, I went with the H&R springs, and in my opinion, the 45mm quattro ones are total ****!

The ride height/angle looked nice, but the ride itself was terrible!! Really crashy and just horrible, that was with standard shocks and bilstein shocks.

It just seems like they havent been setup for the car at all, maybe they just used the same spring rates for other models, I dont know, but mine were crap. They were the purple ones!

I've got some eibachs now, but havent fitted them yet, so cant say what they're like. I hope to god they're better lol