A4 Convertible Cabriolet B6 B7 3rd Centre Brake Light Intermittent Fault Repair

VagPro

Registered User
Guide for repairing the dry solder joint on the centre brake light.

Are you tired of getting the annoying bleeping sound notifying you of the centre brake light being faulty?

You can either replace the light or simply open it up and repair the dry solder joint !

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE PROCEED SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE. BE GENTLE WITH THE CLIPS AND THE SEAL, ALSO YOU WILL NEED SOME SOLDERING SKILLS. DO NOT BRIDGE THE SOLDER CONTACTS.

1) Remove tailgate trim
Remove warning triangle if provided.
Remove bolts -6- (2x).
Detach bracket for warning triangle -9- if fitted.
Detach lock cover -5-.
Slacken off bolt -8- in handle -7-.
Unfasten rear lid trim -1- at clips -7- (12x).
Detach rear lid trim -1
IMAG2066.jpg


2) Remove the light by removing the six torx screws, be gentle and take care not to stretch / break the seal

IMAG2067.jpg


3) Dismantle the light by releasing the plastic tangs and removing the lens, be careful not to bend them too far as they can be brittle

IMAG2069.jpg
IMAG2070.jpg
IMAG2071.jpg


4) Remove the circuit board from the light housing by releasing the plastic tabs

IMAG2072.jpg
IMAG2074.jpg
IMAG2075.jpg


5) So now we have the board out, this is your culprit, dry solder joints on the connector pins.

IMAG2080.jpg


6) Repair with a dab of solder, test, reassembly and job done !

IMAG2083.jpg
IMAG2089.jpg



Enjoy !

Regards
 
Last edited:

GoneSouth

Registered User
Excellent guide.

I guess this is a common problem (?), but it's good to know that there's a diy fix.

You'd have thought the circuit board would have been updated to eliminate this sort of fault......but then again, it is an Audi. C'est la vie.
.
 

IPSGA

Registered User
Hi, managed to fix mine in about 2 minutes once the boot lid cover was off. No need to take everything apart, the female connection which the 2 short prongs fit give a poor connection, I used a thin piece of fuse wire cut in 2, one for each female receptacle, about 1 inch each, push into each hole, bent over similar to what looks like a Christmas tree bulb bending back on itself, pushed the male fitting in, nice n tight (ooom matron..) and not had a problem since, dead easy, hope it helps someone, cheers
 

Arcer

Registered User
Hi all and thank you for this guide...i need the gasket of this piece..have you the part number?
 

Arcer

Registered User
I'll try...are there some requirements for silicon i will use ??? Is there some material like gasket to cut and adapt to light?
 

IPSGA

Registered User
wont need gasket sealer, the original is tight on our 7 year old motor, no leaks
 

Graham Duplock

Registered User
MOT test tomorrow. So have done both resoldered connections and user fuse wire as suggested.

Hope this will fix intermittant problem.

Thanks all for such an excellent, easy to follow solution.

Best wishes
 

Marcustandy

Registered User
Do you think this could be the same issue on an internal centre brake light on an A4 B8 saloon?

I've got the light out; the solder joints 'look' sound but might they benefit from a fresh bit of solder?

This has been a frustrating fault & until now I haven't been able to find any kind of explanation!
 

Jale Evsen

Registered User
so glad I found this posted. Even though, I ordered my center break part online ($44 + shipping) and did not have to solder; getting the trunk liner/cover off and finding all the screws was my main worry. This was very helpful.
I am a total layman and barely have any tools, but was able to replace my break-light in 1 hour.
If I can do it, anyone should be able to.
thank you so much!
 

chrism123

Registered User
I had the same problem, intermitment centre brake light fault. I followed your solution re soldering the input terminals. It took me about 40 mins Everything is good now , thanks for your detailed help
Thanks ChrisM
 

Adam Dunley

Registered User
Hi, I wanted to join this site so I could post and say thank you to the OP of this thread! I have had this issue for ages, so, based on this thread I went about this fix and it worked perfectly. I've saved £70 on a new unit and well chuffed.

Forums are an awesome place for info and this is a prime example! Cheers
 
Top