A4 Cabriolet high level (3rd) brake light issue

robert49

Reaction score
Hi,
My high level brake light is working intermittently throwing up a warning light on the dash. I've changed the brake light switch but this hasn't cured it.
I've cleaned and checked the earths and they are all fine, I'm stuck now as to what the issue maybe.

any suggestions????

I had a similar issue on my B7, erratic error thrown up on the dash. Bit of research showed that there is a fairly common issue with the solder joints in the lamp. Fitted a new lamp (genuine item) and not had a signal issue since.

I was looking at changing the light but though id post on here first as the cheapest ive seen is £45 and to much to pay out on a whim..

Not sure about the cab (is it a B6 or B7? if so i'll move the thread), but the B5 lights just have normal filament bulbs inside, which over time fail just like any other.

Take it off, fit new bulbs and put it back on!

B6 and B7 centre brake lights are LED. You could remove and check for bad connections internally but be ware that the seal is a one shot deal so if you stretch it removing the lamp you may have a mission getting it back into shape hence I just replaced rather than repaired.