A4 CAB b7 2008 2.0t oil consumption

zen200

Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased my audi a4 cab in Novemver 2014 and have covered about 1000 miles. On Thursday last week the engine oil light came up on the dashboard.

When I checked the oil it was pretty much empty.

I put about 2.5l of oil in to bring it upto max which seems a lot to me.

I have read lots of posts and threads on the net but I am wondering what the reason my car is doing this and if it would be corrected under warranty as I purchAsed an extended warranty from the garage ?

The car has 100k miles now.

The car is already going into the garage to get the clutch done under warranty which I am wondering if they can look at the oil issues at the same time ?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks

My B7 Cab likes oil. It seems to be a characteristic of the car. I know someone else with the same car who uses much less than i do.
Lots of threads on here about oil consumption. I simply check mine regular and keep an eye on it.

This of course is an explanation from someone with no Mechanical knowledge at all ! :)

yep, sounds to be inkeeping with a hell of a lot of owners of this engine, some worse than others, mine is an late 2006 avant and is a nightmare with oil consumption and its only covered less than 35k now, but its being sorted out next week after a long wrangle with audi about it.
best plan would be to search " oil consumption problems with 2.0tfsi engine " on this forumand you'll see and learn all about this issue.

rob

from light coming on it should take 1ltr

as its the first time its come on top it off and reset trip see how many miles you get till the light comes on again.

Thanks for the replies.

I have been reading and looks like piston rings partly fix it. It's terrible how and manufacturer would keep selling a product which has a known fault, and still keep producing and selling even after lots of reports of issues.

I did keep checking how much oil I'd put in but it seemed to take a lot more than 1 litre from when the light came on.

I guess I will monitor it for a while longer then.

when you check the oil level , do you check with the engine warm and stood for 10 mins or so or cold?

rob

yep, it does, and i do but when i grew up i was allways taught to check engine oil when cold, allways pays to check your user manual to be 100% sure to save any issues with overfilling .
good luck with it.

2.5 L does sound alot ! Relative to the 'min' level on the dipstick, at what point does the level warning trigger ? Logic would suggest at or very close to below that min level mark ? (That is making a big assumption of logic having been applied in this case by those responsible for this perameter ;) )

My 2.0 tfsi at 107K seems to be around 1/3litre/1000miles (nice mix of units there ;)) Had a 1.8 B5 from new that quaffed 1/2 litre / 1000 miles from new, was advised this was 'normal' by dealers. Interestingly my wifes 1.2 tfsi (in a Seat) seems to enjoy a drink of oil too........... Is this just a modern engine thing ? Or specific to VAG ?

Good luck with getting the issue addressed

I feel that's when I filled the oil that I may have now slightly overfilled because I didn't let the engine warm up. Although surely if the engine was warm then there would show even less on the dipstick as it would be in the rest of the engine and not in the sump ?

At the rate it's barking oil it won't take long to burn of what I put in anyway.

I will follow the manual next time and report back.

Thanks for the replies again everyone.

I guess it's something that I will just have to live with.

And I got rid of my cdti vectra which had no issues like this at all.