A4 Cab aerial issues...

dares_uk

Reaction score
Hi

My radio reception stopped working a lil while ago,
which wasnt an issue as i listened to cd's and mp3's.

now though my rnse needs to go for repair, and i want to put the old radio back in as a temp measure.

a garage diagnosed the aerial boosters in the boot lid as the issue, as they had got damp and had water damage. so ive replaced them, and the radio now has some signal, fine when im parked etc..
but when im driving reception is not very good/strong.

can any one suggest anything else?
i read something about putting clamps on an aerial/boost but not sure if that the normal a4.
what about the actual aerial itself, is that in the boot lid on a cab? or in the window?

thanks

clean the 2 earth's up on the boosters in the boot lid (1 each side) the lid is plastic with a steel runner inside the plastic , disconnect the earth's and then clean right inside with a very small wire brush , clean the earth bolts too.

Hi Chaps,

I have the same issue, but only in snow/rain/ice conditions. Sorry for not interpreting the above correctly, but could you be specific as to where the radio antenna is located. Is it the 2 black hose looking pipes running into the boot lid housing?

Sorry for jacking your post dares_uk

I never looked where the actual Ariel is, as a multimeter test showed the earth's seem to be the problem, so i cleaned them up and it works perfect now, well i say perfect , no where near as good as my 2008 vectra radio but that has a proper ariel, but it works ok.
Remove the boot lid carpet and you will see the 2 boosters , look at them and you will see the earth's bolted to the lid.

Here you go, this shows the earth's and where the antenna leads can break.

Reactions: Daggz68
Thanks for this! The video helps, will check it out!:icon thumright:

clean the 2 earth's up on the boosters in the boot lid (1 each side) the lid is plastic with a steel runner inside the plastic , disconnect the earth's and then clean right inside with a very small wire brush , clean the earth bolts too.

Do you mean remove the actual plastic lid off the boosters?

im pretty certain mine isnt a broken/kinked cable.
so ill try cleaning the connections/earths up.

the earth dont seem to make any difference at all, ?

It will be a broken wire on the left side as you look in boot .. Pull the rubber out of the way and unwrap the cloth tape and I bet you will find a broken wire .. Thinks it's a black wire