A4 Black Edition - 2.0TFSI FWD or 2.0TDI Quattro!?

Medrep

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been scouring the web for info on this new model with no luck, can anyone help!?

I am a company car driver, and have had BMW M Sports and Mercs, never an Audi, I fancy a change!

I have a big list of A4's to choose from, and fancy the black edition.

However, I am capped at 160C02, so that just leaves me with ether the 2.0tfsi fwd, or both variants of the diesel. I can also have either the Avant or Saloon.

I am a spirited driver, and am not conerned about mpg at all.

In gear accelaration times also are important to me, ill spend a lot of my time on the motorway.

Also, can anyone comment on the ride of the S Line, say compared to an m sport beemer?

Im still trying to get a test drive!

Any info really appreciated!

Thanks

David

I can't really comment on the comparison with a beemer. I found the stock Sport suspension (standard on the S-line) a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it was a bit soft (hard cornering would get it banging off the bump stops) and other times it didn't feel compliant enough. I had a 2009 car with this for 6 months and then opted for a 2010 car with dynamic suspension.

I'm a petrol fan and coming from a tuned S4 (approx 390bhp) I wasn't prepared to go slower than the 2.0TFSI. At the same time the 2009 car I had was FWD and I personally couldn't recommend it. You get torque steer (although not as bad as many cars out there) and you also suffer the normal tramping/traction control etc of FWD cars.

In your shoes I'd go for the 2.0TDI quattro. The in gear power is fine and of course it's a turbo so remapping can be done .... and that doesn't affect how the CO2 is calculated however the company insurance may object ;)

Avant or saloon - very personal choice. I went for the Avant (previously a saloon owner) and it does give a huge amount more flexibility but of course maybe less secure as the boot cover is just material. I personally think the Avant shape works better ..... oh and you get an exhaust either side on the 2.0TFSI quattro and I like symmetry :)

Definately do the test drives. I have a feeling that coming from a BMW you'll opt for the quattro instead of the FWD.

For an all rounder, the a4 fits the bill.I test drove a variety of motors before i plumped for my old b7 2.0tdi 140 sline.The ride was a bit hard and crashy, but the looks and build quality/comfort did it for me.I test drove a 320d alpina and i must say that the drive ****** all over the a4, superb chassis, and quicker, but that was it.Everything else was second best, and the beemer dealers are twunts.So i progressed to my latest b8 170tdi mapped to 200.Still cant touch the 320d's for acceleration.The same applies.The beemer is a better drive, but the a4 does everything else better.Except the mpg...both my a4s are/were atrocious.Its a coin flip when i change mine next year.You MUST test drive a few a4s, even the same spec/models from a couple of dealers to put your mind at rest.If you do go for an a4, must be quattro.

Great, thanks guys, just the honest answers I was looking for!

I loved the BMW, my dad even had a 535M, but we both found them incredibly twitchy in some situations. To the point where you were afraid to push them, which kind of defeated the object!?

I have read about the torque steer on the TFSI, and it does play on my mind. Ive driven some tasty fwd cars in the past and they have all suffered to a certain degree, saying that so did the rwd feel twitchy.

The car list I have is very strange for an average rep, there are E Class 250 AMG Sports and even a 330D M Sport, but all come at a price in terms of tax etc. With x2 kids now and the wife wanting to reduce her working hours im finding myself becoming more sensible, how did that happen!

Ill get a test drive in and let you know how I get on, TDI quattro being the potential favoured one then?

On a side note, my friend had a 59 plate 2.0 TDI 170 A3 and it wiped the floor with my 320D E90, both joining the motorway from a services, I couldnt even touch it. Same with Merc C220, right up my backside and I gave up!? I think BMW play a lot on 0-60 and not do great on in gear and top end?

Thanks again

Dave

I'm also a huuuge fan of petrol, and even more so quattro, but in your shoes i'd plump for the TDi Q. Relly good cars but FWD does tend to be "not quite as good as it maybe could be"?? I test drove around 7 different models and varients before going for the 2.0 TFSi Q. Shame you cant stretch to petrol and quattro!!!

Cheers.

Took a 140 TDI S Line out earlier for a test drive. It definitely is not as hard as an M Sport. I could still feel the bumps but the compliance of the tyres (i.e Non RFT) was much much better. I have to say the 140 'went' really well!!?

I still havent tried a 170 Q or TFSI FWD but was very happy with the ride of the S Line.

I would love to hear from anyone who could share any views on the 'in gear' times of the petrol vs diesel though?

And I cannot find any images of the new black edition anywhere!!!!!

Mmmmmm......you might have a wait for a Black Edition, ordered mine end of Nov'10, due next month, just been advised by dealer all Black Editions delayed, I should now see mine in July!!! That's potentially 8 month lead time!

Yeah the dealer told me there was a long lead time, im not bothered too much though.

Any reason why you opted for the diesel over the petrol?

Cheers.

First gear in my tdi is good for about 15 yards just to get moving and then it shifts.Try the audi of america website configurator titanium package.....its the same as ours which is basically the black pack with those dirty looking titanium wheels!

Last edited:
Thanks for that, will take a look now.

Within the last week I have driven the 140, 170 and 2.0 tfsi. I found very little difference between the 140 and 170, and for some strange reason enjoyed the drive of the 140 more, it felt smoother?

However the TFSI put a huge smile on my face, I found the difference between that and the diesel to be huge! Im definitely getting a TFSI.

The TFSI test drive was in an A5 Coupe and it was not a quattro.

Right up my street :)

Cheers.

And I cannot find any images of the new black edition anywhere!!!!!

Check out the website for Audi Liverpool. There is an A4 S-Line 2.0tdi black edition in Ibis White in the showroom for sale. I was in there yesterday looking at it. Looks sweet

Thanks for that, will take a look now.

Within the last week I have driven the 140, 170 and 2.0 tfsi. I found very little difference between the 140 and 170, and for some strange reason enjoyed the drive of the 140 more, it felt smoother?

However the TFSI put a huge smile on my face, I found the difference between that and the diesel to be huge! Im definitely getting a TFSI.

The TFSI test drive was in an A5 Coupe and it was not a quattro.

Right up my street :)

the only advantage of the 170 is that it can be safely remapped to 200 bhp with no decat.I know what you mean though with the 140 bieng smoother.
Paul, stop looking at A4's and get that porker!!

Paul, stop looking at A4's and get that porker!!

It wasn't for me, it was for the misses. She wants that or a Q5. Still want a porker or an RS4 but unless I can cut my mileage down I'll be buying a diesel Golf in a couple of months!!!!

It wasn't for me, it was for the misses. She wants that or a Q5. Still want a porker or an RS4 but unless I can cut my mileage down I'll be buying a diesel Golf in a couple of months!!!!
Just so happens that i know of a phantom rs4 cab 35k on clock 2007 30k......mint

Need something more practical so want a saloon or I may even opt for the Avant! Must be getting old lol

Check out the website for Audi Liverpool. There is an A4 S-Line 2.0tdi black edition in Ibis White in the showroom for sale. I was in there yesterday looking at it. Looks sweet

Pah, I cannot find it?

What did it look like with the dark coloured wheels?

Im thinking of the Avant in Brilliant Red, with the dark 19" wheels, tinted windowns and black grill surround and black roof rails etc? I hope this will/should look a little distinctive?

I love white, but just see quite a few now. My dad had just bought a white car so I'd look a bit naff getting one now:unsure:

Cheers

I'll see if I can find it tonight. Got to say though it looked sweet with the dark rims. Really suited it nicely.

I imagine in Red it will also look very nice.

imho, titanium wheels look dirty and that would drive me mental.Have it in phantom and go stealth!

If you could find a pic that would be great! I tried but had no joy?

I cannot have any of the metallic colours, ive run out of allowance so its just the choice of the three solid colours unfortunately? Im not sure what brilliant black would look like? Ive had my fair share of black cars, so red would be a nice change. IMO black is always the nicest colour.....but only when its clean....which is never for long, especially with me living in a rural area :(

Thanks again!

You really have to see the wheels as photos dont do it justice.I suggest a trip to a dealer or two, just to put your mind at rest.Its an important decision, and one youll regret if you make the wrong choice.I did, and still regret it nearly 2 years on.Changing rims aint cheap.I fully understand about black.My first audi was a a4 b7 in phantom.I swore i would never have another black car.So my b8 is black!!True look filthy most of the time, but when clean (if only for minutes in the summer before the dust gets about) there aint nothing better.Especially at dusk.Like a black mirror.And besides i really like cleaning it.Every 2 days in the summer.But thats just me

Every two days, ****** hell, i like cleaning my car, but that a little excessive even to me ;)

My Z3 was black and my TT was phantom black. I love black but its hard work as already said, and yes i like cleaning my car as well (not every two days though). Think long and hard about brilliant as it marks very easy (unlike phantom) and its swirls that stopped the S4 being black as well.

Titanium wheel IMO just look permanantly dirty......or like you kerbed them and had them referb'd on the cheap ;)

Ive sussed it. If you google a4 titanium package there are loads of pictures!

I'm very impressed :))

See my comments at the bottom of this link. My only wish is that I went for quattro.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b8-chassis/93430-diesel-petrol-regret.html

In relation to the gearing; again on the motorway there was no difference, but when I had the diesel on any other road, I was up and down the gears. I can quite easily travel at 30-35mph in 6th in mine and gradually accelerate through to the turbo charger kicking in. The diesel drove me nuts.

Last edited: