A4 B9 reversing camera option

happytalk73

Reaction score
Has anyone got the £450 optional reversing camera fitted to their A4 (B9)?

I've ticked to box on a factory build and curious to see exactly what it comprises of. There's a few clips on YT showing it in action and when the driver switches between R & D the image on the centre screen shows rear & front view.

I know this is not the surround camera option because IIRC this option also shows an Ariel view shot.

So, question is: does the £450 reversing camera also include forward facing camera? Hope so.

Ant.

Iv got it on my s4 it’s rear only. Tbh I wouldn’t spec it again hardly look at it and most find it just gets dirty or covered in spray and can’t see much either. On the screen it’s not the best picture even when clean. Better with eyes and sensors

Reactions: happytalk73
Apologies to admin for posting in wrong section. I really should know better. Thanks for relocating.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Iv got it on my s4 it’s rear only. Tbh I wouldn’t spec it again hardly look at it and most find it just gets dirty or covered in spray and can’t see much either. On the screen it’s not the best picture even when clean. Better with eyes and sensors

Thanks for clearing that up. But disappointing for £450 when you consider all C Classes have reversing camera as standard.

I passed up the opportunity for an S4 because I couldn't afford any options to be fitted.

Bet yours is amazing.

Ant.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Much discount we’re they offering on the s4 compared to what you ordered?

I’d Save your cash on the camera unless you really want it.

S4 comes pretty well spec add light and vision pack gets you the main ones matrix led virtual cockpit and extended led inside

The standard steel is the upgraded Audi sound system and is very good

Well. Long story but will try and simplify.

Ordered A4 Avant 2.0tfsi S Tronic BE with:

Tech Pack.
Reversing camera.
Storage pack.
Folding mirrors.
Extended Interior LED lighting.
Hill hold assist.
Matrix and dynamic front & rear indicators.

All above for £320pm on a 4 year lease

Can have S4 Avant but with no options whatsoever for £333pm on a 2 year lease.

I know the S4 would be fantastic but I do like goodies too. £320 is our max budget and although we can stretch to £333 but then need yet another deposit in 24 months. (That's why the 4 year lease appeals to us)

Ant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
I have the reversing camera and I find it very useful when reversing into my driveway and have never found the picture obscured at all. But if your choice of cars is down to it being fitted as standard or not, then go buy a c-class, really???

I have the reversing camera and I find it very useful when reversing into my driveway and have never found the picture obscured at all. But if your choice of cars is down to it being fitted as standard or not, then go buy a c-class, really???

Wow! Touched a nerve have I?

Really looking forward to my first Audi. C Class comment was just an observation. Lighten up.

I have it and its fine until it gets dirty. Which at the moment is every journey.

I have it and its fine until it gets dirty. Which at the moment is every journey.

Yeah. Agree with that. Got reversing camera on my van and forever wiping it down at this time of year. Handy feature. Standard on the C Class,,,,,,did I mention that??? :welcoming:

Wow! Touched a nerve have I?

Really looking forward to my first Audi. C Class comment was just an observation. Lighten up.
Not really, many other cars come equipped with standard items that Audi have as standard. It is a fact. A dacia has many, but would you buy one?

Not really, many other cars come equipped with standard items that Audi have as standard. It is a fact. A dacia has many, but would you buy one?

And your point is?

Thanks for the nice, warm, friendly welcome.

Sounds a great deal on the lease the 2.0 against the s4 sure wou will love it just as much

You're misreading or misunderstanding my replies, but welcome anyway...

I'm not misreading anything. I made a simple statement that I considered £450 to be a little disappointing when a reversing camera is a standard fit on the Class. My opinion only. You then told me to 'go and buy a C Class' followed by a 'Really???'

I understand your point perfectly but you've totally taken my post out of context.

Thank you for the welcome.

I have it and mine also washes itself when I put the rear wash on? You sure yours doesn’t ? . I’m still an old skool Mirrors guys but it use it quite a bit now just to be sure..

Maybe if your replies were less abrupt, people wouldn’t misread or misunderstand them.
Then forgive me for my lack of bedside manner, there was no deliberate abruptness intended at all. However it is getting frustrating that there are so many posts about car's that have this and that as standard when the A4 doesn't when the Audi way has always been that you have choice..
However I will try to make my point less 'abrupt'.

Last edited:
Then forgive me for my lack of bedside manner, there was no deliberate abruptness intended at all. However it is getting frustrating that there are so many posts about car's that have this and that as standard when the A4 doesn't when the Audi way has always been that you have choice..
However I will try to make my point less 'abrupt'.

Then forgive me for asking a question and giving my opinion on a forum. Rest assured I'll not make the same mistake again. :end of discction:

For the record I use my camera all the time and think it's a lot safer than mirrors and sensors due to the wide angle lense.

For the record I use my camera all the time and think it's a lot safer than mirrors and sensors due to the wide angle lense.

To be honest the usefulness of the camera was never in question. We have cameras on our car/van and wouldn't be without them. (Really handy on my van for positioning tow ball perfectly under the trailer hitch)

I really only started the thread to ask owners if it included a front facing camera too. Shame it doesn't. However. Still immensely excited for our first ever Audi. It'll be fab.

Ant.

I find it pretty bad for actually trying to maneuver or make sure that the car is straight in a spot. For the distance part of things it's ideal though as you can see the bumper in it so makes that aspect of reversing extremely easy and safe.

I only quickly scanned through the above comments so forgive me if someone mentioned it, but you can actually clean it off by using the rear windscreen wash, it has it's own washer jet...

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and happytalk73
Only on a Avant though...

Oooh didnt know that! thats a strange one.. i wonder why they didnt so it on the saloon?

ahh unless the saloon doesnt come with a rear wipe (as the avant piggy backs off the rear washer)

Oooh didnt know that! thats a strange one.. i wonder why they didnt so it on the saloon?

ahh unless the saloon doesnt come with a rear wipe (as the avant piggy backs off the rear washer)

Oooh, never thought of that! Sorry saloon lads! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: happytalk73 and cuke2u

A saloon doesn't have wash wipe, doesn't really need one. I hope this doesn't start an argument....

Isn't that the smoking pack with optional dressing gown and cravat?

A saloon doesn't have wash wipe, doesn't really need one. I hope this doesn't start an argument....

Not an argument, maybe just an observation? Haha. Having come from a B8.5 A4 saloon there were definitely a few times when a wiper would've been nice. Granted it kinda clears around the edges once moving but if you're just driving round town it doesn't clear at all, even with a ceramic coating. Not so much that you can't see at all, just that it would be helpful to have one. Would ruin the look of it though!

Not an argument, maybe just an observation? Haha. Having come from a B8.5 A4 saloon there were definitely a few times when a wiper would've been nice. Granted it kinda clears around the edges once moving but if you're just driving round town it doesn't clear at all, even with a ceramic coating. Not so much that you can't see at all, just that it would be helpful to have one. Would ruin the look of it though!

Well, depending how old you are (I'm 44) you may well remember a few saloons with rear wipers.

Ford Orion Ghia & early Honda Accord spring to mind. And yes, looked very odd indeed.

Reactions: Daggerit
Well, depending how old you are (I'm 44) you may well remember a few saloons with rear wipers.

Ford Orion Ghia & early Honda Accord spring to mind. And yes, looked very odd indeed.

Only 32, but remember seeing them about! Doesn't look good in my opinion, and to be fair, that's enough of a reason for me. :) But still never completely clears at anything other than 50-70mph, in my experience.

The Avant also has a ‘Pipe & Slippers Pack’ that’s not available on the saloon

oi are you calling my pint a poof?

Im 42 and have an avant and dont own a pipe or smoke it.. however i have a VERY comfy pair of slippers though.

it comes in very handy with bikes and snowboards (not at the same time) having an avant doesnt make you old.

Reactions: Happy Grumpz and happytalk73
The problem with having a wiper on a saloon is that the aerodynamics lift it off the screen, compared to the Avant where everything seems to be pushed on to the screen. Hence the reason why they need a wiper in the first place and a saloon doesn't. I guess it would be useful when reversing to clear water but that's why I have a camera.
Oh no, let's not go there again..;-)

Reactions: Daggerit and happytalk73
The problem with having a wiper on a saloon is that the aerodynamics lift it off the screen, compared to the Avant where everything seems to be pushed on to the screen. Hence the reason why they need a wiper in the first place and a saloon doesn't. I guess it would be useful when reversing to clear water but that's why I have a camera.
Oh no, let's not go there again..;-)

Did you know they're standard on C Class.....................:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Daggerit and Happy Grumpz