A4 B9 Map update.

Ytterligare

Reaction score
My car was delivered about a couple of week ago.
I was astonished to see that in MyAudy.com a map update was already available.
Keeping in mind that the map version in my MMI is V03959801FC 0157 ECE 2017 ( got it from the MMI Info version ) I went for the european update, 13 GB.
What I discovered was that on the downloaded file, the version was :

\Mib2\NavDB\DBInfo\0\default\DBInfo.txt

PartNumber1="V03959801FC"
PartNumber2="V03959800QQ"
PartNumber3="V03959801JM"
PartNumber4="V03959801NT"
PartNumber7="V03959802GJ"
PartNumber5="V03959801TE"
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0157"
SystemName="ECE 2017 "

Variant="ECE"
ReleaseName="2017"
DevVersion="P157_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q1.16"

Which leads me to think it is the same version I already have on my car ( production date december the 1st ).
I thought that since MyAudi knows my VIN, it was aware of the version of map I had, but apart from that, I have a couple of questions :
1) Is it possible to know in advance the version of map you're about to download from my Audi ? I couldn't see any mention of it during the entire downloading process.
2) Generally speaking, when are map update issued by Audi on myAudi ? are they issued with no particular deadline or is it scheduled, say, in March and only then ?

Thank you
Andrea

All I know is that for my A3 there where two map updates per year. My A4 was supplied end of October and an update came a few weeks later. The car checks the version on the one you download against that on the car.

I got in the car this morning to see a message on the MMI that there was a map update available. The download was over 500 mb and I was in a rush so didn't proceed with anything. I have the 3 year online package but no separate SIM. I checked the manual and the update is apparently linked to the region that you usually drive in (so for me the UK - in fact I think that the update package on the screen said England). I am less than sure whether I will be able (without a separate SIM) to download it over Audi Connect or whether I will need to put it on an SD card. I will try after work and report back.

It's very granular in the way regions across Europe have their own update data. I just used myAudi to download the complete set of Europe data. It can be somewhat of a challenge to actually get said data though and impossible if you don't have Java installed to run the Java downloader applet. Someone in Audi must REALLY like Java.....

Reactions: BeagleKCH
I don't think "My Audi" is smart enough to know what version of maps (and it's only maps) you have running currently, only that you have MMI type x installed, and there is a new map release available for it.

I've always found downloading onto a USB stick is the most effective way of updating the maps (I've had two so far). Updating via the SD card slot has been problematic on both occasions for me.

I'm a MAC user, so the whole Java complicates it somewhat, but usually get their in the end :racer:

True, myAudi simply lists the latest, which was versioned "2016/2017" when I got my car, same as what it was running so didn't require an update. When the car said "new maps are available", I checked myAudi which had indeed changed to offer "2017" version. I suspect the next one will be 2017/2018, possibly June or July?

Having got back in my car, I initially tried to update the map from the car itself and initially it had me log into My Audi and link my phone for the purpose - which I did. At that stage, the MMI was showing that there was no update (or more accurately that the update was zero MB in size). I gave that up. I tried again without logging in to My Audi and went to Audi Connect in the MMI and then Software update. Again the update was shown as zero MB. I clicked in the box anyway and a size of 563 MB momentarily flashed up. I started the download which was in 3 packages. I could see the progress on the MMI and wondered if it was coming via my phone or via the LTE in the MMI. Having put my phone in flight mode, the update continued so it obviously updates via Audi Connect. You also get a message that you can continue to use maps during the update. The manual explains that the update only takes effect once the vehicle has been parked. It's downloading as I write. So, the moral of the story is that if MMI tells you there's an update, update there and then. I did wonder whether there would be another reminder on MMI when I got in my car and started it up. There wasn't. Had I done that this morning, I could have avoided this voyage of discovery.

Last edited:
Yep, there was some excitement on a local A4/b9 whatsapp group, when someone saw a popup on the MMI with an information about an available map update;
I immediately download the file via myAudi and checked \Mib2\NavDB\DBInfo\0\default\DBInfo.txt : it turned out that the people getting the popup, had a 2016/2017 version of the map, but were warned only now, while my car ( production date decemeber the 1st ) was already up-to-date.
So, I get there's no a fixed schedule for the update, and it is scattered throughout the year, depending on the country...is that right ?

I don't know how many updates there are a year. Mine updated fine, but removes your Favourites, which luckily I was able to port accross by myAudi from my phone.

I had this message come up on my screen today.
When asked if I wanted to `upload` or `download` (I never know the difference), I clicked `yes`. It then started to ask questions (which I often find the case with this techy stuff) which I dont understand...like do I have enough `data`. Well at that stage I binned it.
So, please can someone enlighten me...
Is the `update` just new roads and stuff like that or is it more than that?
Would my friendly dealer do this for me? and if so, are they likely to charge me?
Many thanks for any response.

Last edited:
Thank you for that `cuke2u`.

But, whenever anyone is talking about techy stuff to me and says "its straightforward"...it never is!
Looking at step 2 that you kindly sent me...
Bullet point 4...there is no link to "To Service"
Bullet point 5...there is no `Map Update section` on the site.

I'll have a talk with my dealer!

Thanks again.

@Kestrel, if you have the 3 year Audi Connect package with the Tech pack, you don't need to worry about the data warning. I suspect that is for people who have the additional 'Audi / Data Inside' SIM that they pay for on contract. If you have the 3 year 'free' deal, the data to provide the map update comes from that. If you do not have the 3 year deal you will need to put the update on an SD card (the manual is silent on USB drives for this purpose so I don't know if you can use USB). If you don't like tech, I imagine you aren't going to want to mess around with SD cards, Java, .zip files etc. So, on the basis that you DO have the 3 year deal, do the following.

Press Menu

go to Audi Connect

go to Software update

check the empty box for the map update even if it says zero MB

press Continue (or whatever it says to start the update)

and voila!

You may need to switch the car off a couple of times when prompted to park for the update to take effect, but it really is simplicity itself and Audi WILL charge you to do it for you (even those nice people at Boston).

Reactions: Jabba1980 and cuke2u
Thank you so much, `BeagleKCH`
I do have the 3 year deal.
So I'll have a bash tomorrow.

Reactions: cuke2u and BeagleKCH
Thank you for that `cuke2u`.

But, whenever anyone is talking about techy stuff to me and says "its straightforward"...it never is!
Looking at step 2 that you kindly sent me...
Bullet point 4...there is no link to "To Service"
Bullet point 5...there is no `Map Update section` on the site.

I'll have a talk with my dealer!

Thanks again.
Ok no problem, what I will try to do is produce clearer instructions for everyone to use the update service but it is really very very easy.

Delighted to say that I managed to get this done!
Took a couple of hours.
Was concerned about depleting the battery so turned the engine on a few times. I think the next time I do it I'll do so during a long journey.
`BeagleKCH`...your instructions were spot on. Initially it wanted to update `England North` and gave me other options to add. The only one relevant was `England South` so I added that. (I do hope it includes `England East and West`)
Thank you once again...I feel quite chuffed!

Reactions: cuke2u, Jabba1980, BeagleKCH and 1 other person
So that would be a small map update, not the 18gb you get if you do the whole of Europe.

You get the option of downloading individual countries as well, but I imagine it would take ages to do the whole lot. You get notifications of an update based on the region where Audi can tell you ordinarily drive.

The download for GB, Ireland and for some obscure reason Iceland is 750MB