A4 B9 Avant rear seat lock

Hapiphil

Reaction score
Hello all

I have had my 2017 a4 avant for a little over a month now. I dropped the rear seats for the first time today to install a boot liner. However the seat on the passenger side won’t now lock into place!

it goes back and just bounces off the latch.
Can any one help me resolve this issue please?

many thanks

Have you checked the catch in the back of the seat is fine and the same as the working one? Nothing blooking the seat underneath where you but the liner?

I have checked the catch and it seems to be the lock itself. It doesn’t work the same as the other one in the other side

the seat goes all the way back in line but the lock just doesn’t lock in place

Have a fiddle inside with a flat small screwdriver (keep fingers well away!) Have a prod and tickle while pressing the lever latch on the seat and see if that helps. Maybe a spray of wd40 too

Also look at the working one to see what the non-working one should look like when you peer in

I find that I have to 'smash' the seat back quite forcefully to get it to latch.

The latch probably seized open, maybe you pulled it too hard? have a prod like suggested (not with fingers)

Did you use the seat release or the boot release?

Thanks everyone for your help. I did the wd40 and poked and prodded and played.
Turns out the wire in the boot release for the seats Had come Unclipped from the handle! Easy fix in the end!

I’ve just had the exact same thing happen on mine. Same seat too. The wires come off the handle in the boot. I can’t even see the wire to be able to put it back on. Any ideas what to do?

Fixed it just needed a bit more light on the situation to see what I was doing.

Reactions: Mr Olympik
I collected my new B9.5 on Tuesday and that night went to collect something that I had bought on eBay, and therefore had to put the seats down. I pulled the right hand latch in the boot, all fine. Then pulled the left and it over extended (i'm sure I didn't pull that hard). Now the latch itself is loose and has no spring to it & the passenger side seat will not latch back into place. I haven't had a proper look yet but I think if I take the fuse box flap out, I might be able to look up into the latch mechanism and figure something out.... Hoping its straightforward!! 5hrs into ownership!!

My car delivered in February arrived with the passenger side latch disconnected. Easy fix but sounds like a bit of a weak design. Take off the fuse cover and you can get your hand up to the wire. It's a bit like a bike brake cable to lever attachment. It's been fine since day 1.

My car delivered in February arrived with the passenger side latch disconnected. Easy fix but sounds like a bit of a weak design. Take off the fuse cover and you can get your hand up to the wire. It's a bit like a bike brake cable to lever attachment. It's been fine since day 1.
Glad to hear its not just me! Will try that later on. Cheers.

Seems funny that it always seems to be the passenger side this happens on!

I have exactly this problem with the passenger side release latch in the boot of my B9 A4 Avant, but I cannot work out how to reattach the cable. I cannot see the end of the cable or the end of the lever it should attach to because there is a bit of bodywork in the way (above the fuses). Can anybody describe the details or share photos of what should go where?

Julian