A4 B8 Projector install

Got some practice in for changing the lights on my car. The wife has been complaining about the lights on her Yaris, as it has reflectors HID's weren't an option so had tried some Osram Night breakers, they were a definite improvement over the standard lights. But after a year and a bit she was saying they weren't good enough so seeing I have ordered some projectors and ballasts for mine thought I would recycle some of the old HID stuff I used to have on my Passat.
Bought some cheap projectors off Fleabay, £28 for the two and that included postage.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261598102796?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The supplied "gatling" shrouds fit in quite well with the light and my next door neighbour actually said it looked OE.
This is before I refitted the lens.The original bulbs were H4 so main and dipped come from the one bulb.

IMG 3124

Very impressed with the light output for the grand cost of £28 for the lights and £11 for some 4300K H1 bulbs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271705429...49&var=570545813969&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Had to tweak the H4 fitting plate as Toyota in their wisdom had the bulb rotated about 20 degrees from what would be the normal fitting. This meant if I hadn't filed the locating slot from the fitting plate the light would have been rotated about 20 degrees from the horizontal. Just meant i needed to do a test fitting of the car and rotate the projector to give a horizontal top to the beam pattern. Also made sure the pattern was pretty close to the existing bulbs as it passed it's MOT a few months ago. Dipped beam is now very good, main beam is on a different planet.
Hopefully she will now be happy.

Karl.

Literally the most angry man in the world!!!!!!

I removed my lamps, split them and trimmed the shroud more as my beam pattern needed to be about 2 inches higher, all put back together and still the same!!!! I tried adjusting at the back of the lamp and when I do it keeps clicking like something's either stopping it adjusting higher or the adjuster is at its max! I have no idea what to do!

The shroud is touching the lens if you look when it back together you will see it happening mate...I've given up at the moment. The shroud needs more trimming due to the lens...from what I can see you can trim loads off and wouldn't even be able to see due to the top lens. However I think it's best of getting the Gatling shrouds.

The shroud is touching the lens if you look when it back together you will see it happening mate...I've given up at the moment. The shroud needs more trimming due to the lens...from what I can see you can trim loads off and wouldn't even be able to see due to the top lens. However I think it's best of getting the Gatling shrouds.

I'm ****** furious spending all day re doing the job and trimming more away to get no where! I take it the Gatling shrouds aren't as big then? Wonder if they fit right onto the projectors from Trups?

So the garlings are much smaller I try find you a picture yes they will fit but my understanding is that you need to take off te projector

Surely you could just slide them on with the lense off? Unsure why you'd need to remove the projector.

It's going to bug me until the level of the lights is perfect! Where can u get Gatling projectors from?

Seen these on Fleebay! I'll try source some and get them fitted!

Problem with them is they sit behind the projector so have to take it all apart. And for me is a pain as when I was supplied with the projectors I didn't have the plug and play section for the main beam I had to solder

The lights I ordered arrived this afternoon along with the S-max shrouds I requested. The shrouds do look quite bulky but I think they will fit. unless you have glued the shrouds to the projectors then they just slide off so no need to remove the projectors.
As I found with the lights on the Yaris a trial fitting and power up in position before refitting the cover is a good idea if you can do it.
I managed to get the lights to match the originals so they have needed only a small tweak.
Interesting point about the headlight adjustment fouling with the shroud. Will take care to make sure there is enough of a gap.
The shrouds I have look like this.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...r-Headlight-Lenses-H1-H4-H7-S/1815501373.html#

Ok, so finally sorted the shrouds out, had to split the lamps and remove the shrouds and cut more off than I thought, literally you need to cut about 1mm Into the centre black circle on the inside of the shroud, it's hard to explain but I'll upload a pict to illustrate what I mean.

In the process I broke a reflector so needed to get a damaged lamp from Fleebay and remove that reflector to swap over, but finally it's all done and my beam height is perfect, it's even got the ability to go higher that the legal limit!

(**in the pic the red line is obviously the cut line, as you can see it cuts into the inner black circle of the shroud. Also none of the cutting can be seen when the lamps back together**)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: All-rod
The lights I ordered arrived this afternoon along with the S-max shrouds I requested. The shrouds do look quite bulky but I think they will fit. unless you have glued the shrouds to the projectors then they just slide off so no need to remove the projectors.
As I found with the lights on the Yaris a trial fitting and power up in position before refitting the cover is a good idea if you can do it.
I managed to get the lights to match the originals so they have needed only a small tweak.
Interesting point about the headlight adjustment fouling with the shroud. Will take care to make sure there is enough of a gap.
The shrouds I have look like this.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...r-Headlight-Lenses-H1-H4-H7-S/1815501373.html#

This shrouds look similar to the ones I had, refer to the pic of where to cut, any issues drop me line.