1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 B8 MMI - No Satellites

wilco184 Jan 14, 2017

1. wilco184

wilco184 New Member

Hi,

My B8 A4 saloon cannot find any satellites for it's navigation. The car has MMI 3G fitted, with the little cursor thing on the main MMI knob. I am wondering if anyone would be able to help please?

So far, I've done the following:

- Checked for fault codes (none present)
    - Checked for any signs of visible damage to the shark fin
    - Checked the 'Nav Info' page on MMI - shows 0 satellites available
    - Connected a 'hockey puck' type antenna to the back of the 5F unit to test

With regard to the hockey puck type antenna, it was borrowed from my A2 that has a retrofitted MK2 RNSE. I connected it directly to the back of the 5F unit in the A4 and drove for around 6 miles and 10 minutes with the antenna on the roof. It still showed 0 satellites. In the A2, it finds 5 satellites immediately when it is plugged back in.

Some questions that I have are:

- Do I need to drive further with the hockey puck type before it will find signal?
    - Is it possible/common for the 5F unit to be faulty?
    - Can I view any other data about the antenna or carry out checks on MMI that will help further?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matt.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. wilco184

wilco184 New Member

Update.

So, I connected the RNSE unit from the A2 to the blue FAKRA plug at the back of the 5F unit in the A4, and the A4's shark fin works great and finds the satellites. As such, I figure the fault is either with the main 5F MMI dash control unit or it's software as everything is okay regarding the antenna and cable to the unit.

Are there any known/common faults with the hardware or software of MMI 3G that could cause this issue?

Regards,

Matt.

4. s8craig

s8craig Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Have you actually disconnected power from the 5F during any of this testing. My old Q7 did this and no amounts of resets or changing antenna helped, simply disconnecting the quadlock for a few mins fixed the issue.

5. wilco184

wilco184 New Member

Craig,

I hadn't disconnected the power at all but I've just been out and tried as you've suggested - the navigation now works perfectly and the satellites can be found!

Many thanks for the help, I really appreciate that!

Regards,

Matt.