A4 B8 going from MMI 2G High to MMI 3G Basic/Low?

dmnq

Reaction score
I'm contemplating a DIY retrofit of MMI 3G Basic/Low into my 2009 B8 Avant which came with MMI 2G High. Unlike most other discussions centred around 3G Plus conversions, I'm trying to take the path of least resistance considering I already have the gear shift controls (non-joystick knob kind) and a frame for a 6.5" LCD in my car. I'm having a hard time navigating online ETKA catalogs to work out which components will have to change and which I can keep. Also the harness situation is as clear as mud.

So far I figure I'll need the 3G 6.5" LCD made by Panasonic automotive as opposed to the one made by Harman/Becker currently in. These are readily and available and very cheap to boot. I'll need a new head unit "Audi multimedia" with a pair of SD slots which is part no. 8T2 035 666 of which there are several suffixes and I'm not clear about the differences among them. Not too bad price wise looking at eBay. Beyond that I understand I may need a new amplifier and tuner from 3G system to replace the units in the trunk. I've seen amplifiers cheap and I'm sure the tuners won't break a bank either. Not sure about the mounting bracket arrangement. Considering the existing kit has all the MOST and Fakra connections already there, I can't imagine much has to change. I believe I can long code my instrument cluster to play nice with 3G and my CAN gateway is MOST equipped HW09 version. What else is there to consider?

Any bit of info greatly appreciated.

I thought the 8T0 035 666 was a high unit but without the SIM slot for Audi connect as in the 670 unit, I thought the 652 was the 3G low. The low and high have different screens, so make sure you get the screen that works with the 666. And the radio/amp is combined now unless you have BO and then I think its a seperate amplifier. You might want to consider adding DAB at the same time as it is built into the radio module 053 I think for basic and 061 for DAB equipped.

You will need someone who can remove component protection as that will kick in as soon as you put in the new can gateway.

Oh, didn't realise there were 3G High w/o the SIM slot. I can see the 652 units now, both in 8Tx and 8Rx versions. By 053/061 you mean the H53/H61 hardware version number? I was wondering what the differences were.

AFAIK the 3G Low has the same size screen as 2G High at 6.5", whereas 3G High and Plus are 7", so me sticking with Low means no new trim piece required.

Radio/amp is combined - so everything in the head unit? No more MOST to trunk? I think I've read about other retrofitters having to disable external amp using long coding on their 3G unit they installed in place of Symphony in order to enable the internal amp. I was hoping to be able to keep using external amp and therefore avoid redoing speaker wiring. Though I'm not looking to go for BO setup. My trunk has a rack with separate radio, amp and nav DVD units mounted. Is there no more trunk mounted radios in 3G?

Also keeping with 3G Low which was introduced mid-2009 and my car being early 2009, I was hoping my gateway would be OK as is.

I'm aware of component protection. Not sure what exactly is on lockdown during the protection being active. Read something about playback interrupting every couple of minutes or such. So I should be able to test the system, even code it etc. before needing to go have the protection done?

No I don't mean 53 and 61 hardware, I am referring to the radio/amp part numbers. 053 is the radio/amp combined and 061 is the radio/DAB/amp combined. So yes you still have a module in the trunk, but it will be one module that replaces your existing radio and amplifier. The navigation and telephone is built into the headunit, so you need to supply GPS to the front of the car behind the dash. Either extend the existing GPS cable or fit a GPS puck somewher in the front of the car.

If your car has bluetooth then it needs to be removed from under the drivers seat (UK model) and bypassed. The mic cables now go to the head unit as it's built into the HU.

The screens are the same size, but different models, so I was just saying get the right one for the 666 unit as it is not low.

Your heater controls will not work correctly with 3G as again there is a difference between 2G and 3G climate controls. Your climate system will work, but not integrate with the MMI 3G

I'm not even sure that the control panel is compatible between 2G and 3G, honestly cannot remember, but they are not expensive if it doesnt work.

Last edited:
I see, you're referring to 4F0 035 061. So basically 3G system upgrade consists of the HU, LCD and the radio/amp unit in trunk. That's not too bad.

I'm not fussed about climate controls not showing up on MMI screen. The control panel is so simple and looks identical I'd be amazed if they decided to make it incompatible, though I wouldn't put it past the Germans.

What confuses me is both the HU and radio have the ISO Quadlock on them - presumably due to both integrating an amp?

Those two round connectors on HU are for LCD and external video/DVD/reversing camera? I'm guessing theres a box for that too...

The quadlock on the radio is for the speaker connections, so be prepared to rewire that massive amp connector into the quadlock.

The two round (Fakra 4 pin) connectors on the HU are for the LCD and the AMI. The reverse camera/TV comes in on the green fakra or the quadlock I cannot remember which, maybe the camera is on the quadlock and the TV is on the green fakra.