A4 b8 coilovers install

M90KKL

Reaction score
anyone know of any good DIY steps or hints/tips on installing coilover kit?

Will be installing tomorrow along with a mechanic, however would like a guide in my head before doing it.

Thanks

The stasis challenge are a coilover install, some good pictures and stuff here. You may not have to do all the steps depending on what your coilovers are like but it should give you a good idea.
Don't forget to tighten the front suspension arm bolts when the wheel is at the normal resting height.

Bonded rubber suspension bushings can only be turned to a limited extent. The mounting bolts of the suspension links must only be tightened when the suspension is compressed to the curb weight position.
This can be done by jacking up the wheel while the car is on the lift.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/sites/default/files/install_pdfs/Installation Guide_A4 S4 B8.pdf

With my experience of changing the suspension on my car the biggest issue was trying to compress the rear springs to get them out. The front end was a doddle.

Karl.

The stasis challenge are a coilover install, some good pictures and stuff here. You may not have to do all the steps depending on what your coilovers are like but it should give you a good idea.
Don't forget to tighten the front suspension arm bolts when the wheel is at the normal resting height.

Bonded rubber suspension bushings can only be turned to a limited extent. The mounting bolts of the suspension links must only be tightened when the suspension is compressed to the curb weight position.
This can be done by jacking up the wheel while the car is on the lift.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/sites/default/files/install_pdfs/Installation Guide_A4 S4 B8.pdf

With my experience of changing the suspension on my car the biggest issue was trying to compress the rear springs to get them out. The front end was a doddle.

Karl.

Thanks Karl, surely with the rear you can drop the subframe? I'm just going off when I last did a lot on an A3?? Is this roughly the same?

I am not sure about how much work is required to drop the subframe, I do know that the A4 diff and subframe will be a good deal heavier than the A3 there's quite a bit of stuff there. Also I would be surprised if you got it back in exactly the same place so the toe etc would be out.
I think the subframe bolts are stretch bolts as well as they are torqued up to 115Nm + 90 degrees. So theoretically you would need to replace them.

Last edited:
I am not sure about how much work is required to drop the subframe, I do know that the A4 diff and subframe will be a good deal heavier than the A3 there quite a bit of stuff there. Also I would be surprised if you got it back in exactly the same place so the toe etc would be out.
I think the subframe bolts are stretch bolts as well as they are torqued up to 115Nm + 90 degrees. So theoretically you would need to replace them.

Ah I see, hopefully won't need to drop it then to instal the spring and shock, surely hardest part is the fact the spring is a snug fit? As the new ones bound to be smaller and slot in no problem....?

That's true, My car being an SE originally probably has the longest uncompressed springs. The Eibach lowering springs I replaced the original springs with went in a lot easier.

That's true, My car being an SE originally probably has the longest uncompressed springs. The Eibach lowering springs I replaced the original springs with went in a lot easier.

Mines an SE too, the rears don't overly concern me, it's just having to compress the front shocks to get the mounting bracket off to fit to the new shock that worries me, apart from that it's only a few bolts here and there......I hope lol

If you have some decent coil spring compressors that not an issue, Just take your time and keep your fingers out of the way. compress the spring a bit at a time on each side, Don't do what some people do and tighten the compressor a lot on one side, this turns the spring into a banana and is not the thing to do.

Reactions: GaryDe
What a farse, 6 hours later Iv got it done, the front nuckle joints would come out then the adjustment took ages too! None the less it's done, might be too low tho!

Reactions: GaryDe and desertstorm