18fa55605e85a89b89f9d411b0e51938.jpg

25f28afa631328aceb7cf0791cb5f398.jpg

79ae865f63947f76fe3a354c5228bf42.jpg

6974b72bbbdfd939b8b6c50b3b005c01.jpg

52c8b45ef2a348555b25568b10fcd082.jpg

186ffcdf8e95d4b431e4d579e0ed9cfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MuPPeT_ON_TouR
Possibly the worst subwoofer I have come across, it’s like something Matsui made in the 80’s
No wonder it resonates, you tap the box and it rings.
Just to make it better it would need deadening on the outside and internal baffle stuck on the inside.
And as for that speaker! My headphones have a bigger magnet!
I may have to upgrade the existing sub a bit as I plan to put a sub box in the boot and have a cable to swap to original when the boot space is needed.
I will update as I go.

Reactions: Feemy
No unfortunately, it’s the standard MMI.

Where is the sub located in the avant? Recently brought a avant with B&O full mmi and the bass seems to come from the front as aposed to the saloon which was in the parcel shelf?

It’s located just under the spare wheel in the boot/trunk beside the battery

No unfortunately, it’s the standard MMI.

I don't have B&O. either so I'm going to go look for mine. I don't want to put a sub box in the boot so any suggestions to improve the factory one would be greatly appreciated. thx.

I now have the speaker wading and some sound deadening felt. Going to set up a frequency sweep on an SD card and use my phone and watch the DB meter with a taped off area to place it to see where it peeks and film it then do the mods and do it again.
Bit primitive but should do the trick.

Would also like to try an Isobaric set up but not sure there is enough room for the extra cone 2x 4 ohm so it still looks like 2 ohm to the amp and will be a little lower level.

I'm not sure if Ash from audi retro fit is on here, but he had a tidy little subwoofer set up in the right hand cubby hole. He'd had the plastic shroud reinforced with fibreglass and a 8" installed. I didn't get to hear it alas.

Did someone say my name?

So yes I have a 8” JL audio 8W3 sub added to my A5 Sportback along with a tiny JL Audio amp by the spare wheel.
https://www.instagram.com/audi_retr...utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=rir6r2b2xsxz

If I did it again I would have a 10” version but when I did it the first time I was told a 10” sub wouldn’t fit the space until the fabricator put the 8” in and figured out a 10” would fit fine.

Anyone want my 8”?
Also you guys are welcome to hear how it sounds if you come down to the unit for any work!

So I’ve had it back out and modified it slightly and cheaply.
b50cd540de3d632f50ec7d0e55c82f5e.jpg
25a60b133adde47c68cd0694ddc97fca.jpg
b6d363fb483ec5caf2353fe7fac0f105.jpg
aeca87068c27b171fed91b576295ed67.jpg
7fd51de7d7db5d1894ea9112776fb85a.jpg
535dddca1bce847519c901ef084fcb99.jpg

I will post up the waveform difference on the sweep test at some stage but it’s definitely better, less resonance during radio presenter vocals and certain songs, the bass seems tighter and lower ranges can be heard better now.
Cheap fix, it’s certainly not perfect but it’s a lot better until the Isobaric sub and amp can be fitted.

Reactions: MuPPeT_ON_TouR
Interesting stuff, thanks for the write up. Are there any 'off the shelf' alternatives to the standard sub? I can't seem to find anything suitable.

Reactions: the_ace1982
I'm getting one for the A5 but it is only for an 8inch. As the boxes are only around 8 litres their volume falls way below the very minimum volume capacity required for a 10" subwoofer and is only just acceptable for a shallow 8" subwoofer, this is what put me off trying to go for a 10".

But I'm clueless on these things so if somebody can tell me its perfectly fine to ignore the volume figures for an enclosed sub box for 10" then I might go 10 even though it sticks out into the boot space.

A5 with correct number of doors boxes (Sportback)
10/12" A5 box (LINK)
8" A5 box (LINK)

My thread (LINK)

Though I think I'm going for a Pioneer set up at this point.

The box I've purchased in the listing is 0.9 cu ft and the 10" sub I have and plan to use is a Pioneer TS-W261D4 which has a Recom. Enclosure [ft3] 0.8 so I've provided the details and requested the box be built to the spec of the sub.

I had a 08reg A4 with the Bose system and the bass was full and present. Very deep. I loved it. Listening to music was a pleasure.

Now I have a B8.5 A4 with B&O system and I have to say the bass is extremely underwhelming. I've done some reading on this and come to the following conclusion:

The 12 speaker setup is all marketing BS. Music simply doesn't sound good with surround sound. Movies, yes! The B&O system has no setting for the Subwoofer level, whereas the Bose did. The B&O sounds good, but you have to turn Surround off.

You also have to adjust the settings according to the music source which you didn't have to do in the Bose. I know the Bose gets a lot of bad comments, not having nice fidelity and having boomy bass, but I don't find it to be boomy at all. The bass was deep and tight. I used to have the Subwoofer setting at 2 clicks past middle and it was beautiful.

The B&O just lacks deep bass. It's present, but if I wanted the same result as on my previous car, I have to increase the bass right up, but then it makes a thudding sound rather than tight bass. If there was a separate setting for Subwoofer like for the Bose, I would be interested to see the difference.

And as I eluded to earlier, the right music source is required, and the settings need to be adjusted according to whether you're listening to BT source, DAB or CD which is a bit of a nuisance.

Bottom line is if you want the B&O to sound good, or have better bass, you have to faff around with the settings, and if you like your deep punchy bass, it's simply not there. With the Bose, you had plenty of it and you had the ability to adjust subwoofer level. The 2 speakers worked perfectly fine as well

How can the sub on the B&O be so crap compared to the Bose sub?

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reading this has got me fancying an upgrade to my B&O system in my B8 avant is there a sub upgrade that goes in the standard location?

Or just replace the B&O crap with proper speakers and a proper powered sub/enclosure

Going to try this one for size will update if it works out or not hopefully find a plug and play swap

Attachments

• 0A1CD0B8-777C-400F-8170-7B3993ECDC99.png
    0A1CD0B8-777C-400F-8170-7B3993ECDC99.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
This will also fit and is a slight improvement
Kicker COMPRT 6.75" Thin Profile Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer - 2 Ohm KA48CWRT672

But if you want proper bass you'll need to fit a dsp such as
Kicker Key Dsp High To Low Converter KEYLOC 2 and use a seperate powered bass speaker or an enclosure in one of the rear side panels .I used a powered bass speaker
https://audison.com/product/apbx-10-as2/
Sound is night and day difference to the weedy 80w B&O crap that was fitted in the car

Reactions: the_ace1982