1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A4 B8.5 Avant Subwoofer tear down.

rich dj Mar 23, 2019

1. rich dj

rich dj 2015 A4 Avant 2.0TDI SE Quattro 190 Technik

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuPPeT_ON_TouR likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. rich dj

Possibly the worst subwoofer I have come across, it’s like something Matsui made in the 80’s
    No wonder it resonates, you tap the box and it rings.
    Just to make it better it would need deadening on the outside and internal baffle stuck on the inside.
    And as for that speaker! My headphones have a bigger magnet!
    I may have to upgrade the existing sub a bit as I plan to put a sub box in the boot and have a cable to swap to original when the boot space is needed.
    I will update as I go.

4. pav911

pav911 Member

is that part of the B&O setup?

5. rich dj

No unfortunately, it’s the standard MMI.

6. philbell

philbell Active Member

Where is the sub located in the avant? Recently brought a avant with B&O full mmi and the bass seems to come from the front as aposed to the saloon which was in the parcel shelf?

7. rich dj

It’s located just under the spare wheel in the boot/trunk beside the battery

8. pav911

pav911 Member

I don't have B&O. either so I'm going to go look for mine. I don't want to put a sub box in the boot so any suggestions to improve the factory one would be greatly appreciated. thx.

9. rich dj

I now have the speaker wading and some sound deadening felt. Going to set up a frequency sweep on an SD card and use my phone and watch the DB meter with a taped off area to place it to see where it peeks and film it then do the mods and do it again.
    Bit primitive but should do the trick.

10. rich dj

Would also like to try an Isobaric set up but not sure there is enough room for the extra cone 2x 4 ohm so it still looks like 2 ohm to the amp and will be a little lower level.

11. ld2130

ld2130 New Member Team Sepang Audi S4 Audi Avant Owner Group Black Edition

I'm not sure if Ash from audi retro fit is on here, but he had a tidy little subwoofer set up in the right hand cubby hole. He'd had the plastic shroud reinforced with fibreglass and a 8" installed. I didn't get to hear it alas.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Ash187

Ash187 Well-Known Member Gold Supporter VCDS Map User quattro Audi A5

Did someone say my name?

So yes I have a 8” JL audio 8W3 sub added to my A5 Sportback along with a tiny JL Audio amp by the spare wheel.
    https://www.instagram.com/audi_retr...utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=rir6r2b2xsxz

If I did it again I would have a 10” version but when I did it the first time I was told a 10” sub wouldn’t fit the space until the fabricator put the 8” in and figured out a 10” would fit fine.

Anyone want my 8”?
    Also you guys are welcome to hear how it sounds if you come down to the unit for any work!

14. rich dj

So I’ve had it back out and modified it slightly and cheaply.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I will post up the waveform difference on the sweep test at some stage but it’s definitely better, less resonance during radio presenter vocals and certain songs, the bass seems tighter and lower ranges can be heard better now.
    Cheap fix, it’s certainly not perfect but it’s a lot better until the Isobaric sub and amp can be fitted.

MuPPeT_ON_TouR likes this.
  15. toadusmodus

toadusmodus Member Team V6 Team Scuba Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S tronic

Interesting stuff, thanks for the write up. Are there any 'off the shelf' alternatives to the standard sub? I can't seem to find anything suitable.

16. Cerbera9

Cerbera9 Well-Known Member

17. MuPPeT_ON_TouR

MuPPeT_ON_TouR Well-Known Member Supercharged Sportback TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Silver Supporter Audi S5 quattro Black Edition OBD11 USER Deep Black Pearl DSG

I'm getting one for the A5 but it is only for an 8inch. As the boxes are only around 8 litres their volume falls way below the very minimum volume capacity required for a 10" subwoofer and is only just acceptable for a shallow 8" subwoofer, this is what put me off trying to go for a 10".

But I'm clueless on these things so if somebody can tell me its perfectly fine to ignore the volume figures for an enclosed sub box for 10" then I might go 10 even though it sticks out into the boot space.

A5 with correct number of doors boxes (Sportback)
    10/12" A5 box (LINK)
    8" A5 box (LINK)

My thread (LINK)

Though I think I'm going for a Pioneer set up at this point.

18. Cerbera9

Cerbera9 Well-Known Member

The box I've purchased in the listing is 0.9 cu ft and the 10" sub I have and plan to use is a Pioneer TS-W261D4 which has a Recom. Enclosure [ft3] 0.8 so I've provided the details and requested the box be built to the spec of the sub.