1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

A4 B7 Making Progress With Electrical Issue

mountainmile Nov 5, 2020

1. mountainmile

mountainmile Registered User

Making some progress on the issue I reported previously about a B7 A4 dash that was dead but as there were no replies I thought this request might get missed in there.

(https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2005-2-0-tdi-b7-electrics-frustration.421628/)

New instrument cluster fitted from a 2007 A4 and I know ill have to get someone to code the keys on (Im hoping that's all I need to get done having changed clocks anyway!)
    Can I ask very generally (not a how to obviously) how the mileage would be corrected?
    Should I be expecting the same guy who codes keys might be able to correct the mileage ?
    Or are they 2 completely different tools/platforms/software needed?

For example IF (and I don't know the answer) vagcom is used to code on the existing keys,is it also used to correct mileage?

Thanks in advance

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. mountainmile

Just noticed that although the new cluster lights up etc....my OBD reader cant now connect to the ecu.
    New cluster needs to be coded via vagcom too? (With the non working cluster fitted my obd reader would connect to the ecu)

4. norad97

norad97 Registered User

You cannot change the mileage with VCDS, you will have to someone who has that system.

5. mountainmile

Thanks
    Do you know if installing a second hand cluster is reasonably straightforward ?
    Im just doing a bit of googling now and theres a lot of talk about B7 using a newer type immobiliser than older Audis and that you need a pin number and secret key code(SKC) from both clusters to actually do it successfully?

6. norad97

norad97 Registered User

You will have to recode the new cluster by copying your current coding from your old cluster.
    I'm not sure about the immobliser coding, but I'm sure there are on line videos or some members on this forum have changed them.
    If you don't have VCDS then you cannot do it.

7. tr7

tr7 Registered User

The same software that reads/writes the SKC for the immobiliser usually can also read/write the mileage.

VAG-Tacho is one such software.

Once you have the SKC Secret Key Code the cluster will need programmed with another software such as VCDS