A4 B7 List of Affordable Modifications/Upgrades/Retrofits

Ordered my luggage cover fix kit from TPS today, less than £10.50 and will be in stock tomorrow.

Clear corner mod has to be a winner for the cost. Less than £5 for a pair of chrome indicator bulbs, and takes years off the car!!!!
Also cheap eml327 off eBay and obd11 app, cheapest boost gauge ever!!!!!

I was thinking of this, but how accurate is it, does it work smoothly?

Also which app do you use as there are quite a few out there?

I was thinking of this, but how accurate is it, does it work smoothly?

Also which app do you use as there are quite a few out there?

It seems to work perfectly Jim bob, I paid for the obd11 app I think it was £2.99, as it covers a lot stuff than the free app. Blue tooth finds it as soon as the car is started. Even 0-60 times!!!!!
P.s I will be dropping your parcel off at Hermes tonight at 7pm

Nice one.

See if you can get links up for the dongle, and app if you could with knowing they work. I've read that the dongles on ebay can be rubbish, so it would be good to have a link to one that works.

Reactions: T3nnant
bluetooth or wifi module needed?

I'm intrigued :)

Ordered from Bexley Audi, for collection tomorrow. £1.14 each, including VAT.
Refitted my Passat washers using the spacers. Took two minutes, half of which was removing the glue residue. Still a little bit of lateral movement, but much better aligned. £2.28 well spent.

Reactions: s3_trev and Weverall
Nice one.

See if you can get links up for the dongle, and app if you could with knowing they work. I've read that the dongles on ebay can be rubbish, so it would be good to have a link to one that works.

I didn't go for a £5 one, pushed the boat out.....
This one is smaller and black so you can't see it.
Also the app i purchased

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-18-16-21-50.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-18-16-21-50.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,870
  • Screenshot_2015-02-18-16-22-28.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-18-16-22-28.png
    231.4 KB · Views: 1,748
Reactions: Jimmy TDI and Weverall
Refitted my Passat washers using the spacers. Took two minutes, half of which was removing the glue residue. Still a little bit of lateral movement, but much better aligned. £2.28 well spent.

can we see a picture of the final fitting?

cheers :)

little daft one for you all, i've just put some black center caps into my wheels and i think they look good but as you can see my car is black, maybe other folks could get hold of or paint them same colour as there car ??? just a thought :)

20150218 165537 resized
20150218 165518 resized 1

Reactions: Obnoxious Kids and andy1acars
Does the ELM327 work with iPhone?
I can't say for definite but I would of thought so, it works off bluetooth so you'd think a fancy i phone would connect. If not, it would still be cheaper to buy another phone just for the boost gauge than an actual boost gauge!!! :jump:

If you leave the Bluetooth obd connector plugged in will it not drain the battery?

can we see a picture of the final fitting?

cheers :)
Here you go. It's looks hideous in close-up, but ignore that. The spacer/adaptor/shim, what ever you call it, is slotted along one side. You slide that into place on the elongated side of the aperture in the underside of the bonnet, and that's it. It makes the aperture the right depth to clip the narrower VW jet housing into place. The VW jet is shorter as well as narrower, and this spacer does not bridge the gap in the length of the aperture. So the jet housing will still slide a few mm left or right if you move it. But that doesn't matter.

P1000566_zps29e9dbe6.jpg

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Weverall
Ordered my luggage cover fix kit from TPS today, less than £10.50 and will be in stock tomorrow.

Fitted today, works a treat so no more scaring the bejesus out of me at every bump!

Has also eliminated the annoying squeak/rattle that the cover used to make when closed.

INTERIOR LIGHTING LED UPGRADE

Got an error free canbus interior LED light kit for my Avant from ASN member called T8ups. Was delivered to my door for £34. All of 10 minutes to swap them over and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Caveat emptor: My car does NOT have the interior light pack so obviously its going to cost a little more for you if you do have one.

View attachment 50833
T8UPS is the Man!

Here you go. It's looks hideous in close-up, but ignore that. The spacer/adaptor/shim, what ever you call it, is slotted along one side. You slide that into place on the elongated side of the aperture in the underside of the bonnet, and that's it. It makes the aperture the right depth to clip the narrower VW jet housing into place. The VW jet is shorter as well as narrower, and this spacer does not bridge the gap in the length of the aperture. So the jet housing will still slide a few mm left or right if you move it. But that doesn't matter.

P1000566_zps29e9dbe6.jpg
picked up my shims today, just need to get the jets, i suspect that its still going to be a silicone glue job albeit a smaller amount to stop the sideway movement.
thank for the info and pics sir.

Retro-fit Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, the Steelmate TP-70.
Monitors screw onto the valves, with lock nuts to keep them in place. The readout unit plugs into the (non-retractable) cigarette lighter socket. Simple, effective, and right now available from the supplier for 20% off.

@SDHA4SLine, you said a while back you'd be interested if it was not for the price. Well now's your chance to get them for £79 instead of £99.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDHA4SLine
The whole centre console has to come up, not as bad as it sounds.
Take rear astray out and remove the 2 screws,remove bolt for armrest, one each side at the very front of the console, remove gear surround and ashtray, then log up from the back, I just stuck my head under then undid the two screws at the from of the cigarette lighter part then it comes out. Wiring in mine was the opposite way round so I just put the connector in the other way. Hope that helps

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
Take rear astray out and remove the 2 screws,remove bolt for armrest, one each side at the very front of the console, remove gear surround and ashtray, then log up from the back, I just stuck my head under then undid the two screws at the from of the cigarette lighter part then it comes out. Wiring in mine was the opposite way round so I just put the connector in the other way. Hope that helps
thanks

Can I add one...

STEERING WHEEL & GEAR KNOB CLEAN / DE-SHINE

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/steering-wheel-clean-de-shine.238134/#post-2382907

Get rid of that horrible shiny/greasy finish on used steering wheels and gear knobs with this trick.

Parts required: Flash Magic Eraser, around £2 from most supermarkets.

Did this last night!

Honestly is brilliant! £2 and my steering wheel and gear knob feel completely new!
more texture and not so shiny!
Love this one!

When I did mine, I managed to actually split the units so I didn't actually need to dismantle the whole console - I cant remember exactly how I did it, but I ended up being able to fit the actual covered part in to my existing surround.....

Good thread this by the way :)

Did this last night!

Honestly is brilliant! £2 and my steering wheel and gear knob feel completely new!
more texture and not so shiny!
Love this one!

Did mine as Mrs had some of these pads lying around and they really do make an amazing difference. That shine disappears and looks so much better.

Does the lighter insert just pop out or is it screws in some where? Also is connector the same or does this require a little re wiring original connector to new lighter insert?

Was going to order mine tommorrow if it's straight swap :)

Strangely I had the 'stuck on' one in my B6 that I replaced for a flip up one from a B7
I found the power and illumination wires to be the wrong way round, so I popped them out of the block and swapped them around.

If you have the single din set up like me there are two hidden bolts behind the textured bit that sits behind the front ashtray. You get the textured bit out by simply popping it upwards, it just clips in.

Strangely I had the 'stuck on' one in my B6 that I replaced for a flip up one from a B7
I found the power and illumination wires to be the wrong way round, so I popped them out of the block and swapped them around.

If you have the single din set up like me there are two hidden bolts behind the textured bit that sits behind the front ashtray. You get the textured bit out by simply popping it upwards, it just clips in.

How does this work with a cabriolet......

Yes, I fancied one of those, but they're not suitable for diesels.

The guys at Awesome warned me off polly mounts with mine being diesel. In the end after a bit of seeing what was out there I went for the rubber Passat mount. It's stiffer than the crappy foam one, but not as harsh as a polly one.

You just have to soak it in some warm water to make it easier to fit, as the hole in it is round.

Reactions: jdp1962
Regarding the cigarette lighter, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I opted for the cheap (couldn't bring myself to pay rs4 prices) start button

Attachments

• 20150221_171646.jpg
    20150221_171646.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3,273
Reactions: Obnoxious Kids