A4 B7 List of Affordable Modifications/Upgrades/Retrofits

reference heated washer jets...

Read somewhere can't remember where! That replacing heated jets with afore mentioned upgrades may require existing loom to be modified (lengthened) to accommodate newer upgraded ones. Is this true?

Was going to order mine tommorow but this may put me off the idea.
Mine fitted fine, without any modification of the wiring (and I am a fumble-fingered ******).

Last edited:
Mine fitted fine, without any modification of the wiring (and I am a fumble-fingered ******).
Thanks will order mine tommorow then.
Speaking of *******... Seems I one of them when it comes to checking my spelling before pressing post reply.

"Afford" instead of "afore" can you help my embarrassment once again old grumpy one :D

Thanks will order mine tommorow then.
Speaking of *******... Seems I one of them when it comes to checking my spelling before pressing post reply.

"Afford" instead of "afore" can you help my embarrassment once again old grumpy one :D
All done, including in my follow up when I quoted you. But for future reference, you can edit your own posts. Otherwise, I may have to charge a modest fee!

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
All done, including in my follow up when I quoted you. But for future reference, you can edit your own posts. Otherwise, I may have to charge a modest fee!

Haha many thanks again.

Us near mortals only get half an hour before edit function is locked don't we or am I incorrect? Plenty of times I would like to have gone back...

RS4 B7 HAND BRAKE HANDLE

Part number: 8E0 711 327 P8 UD (black perforated leather) £67

Cheaper option:
Standard handles re trimmed in perforated leather can be purchased from ebay for around £40. I did buy one but thought the finish was not as good as OEM so returned mine for a refund.

Fitting guide can be found here
http://nickscarblog.com/diy/how-to-install-a-perforated-audi-rs4-e-brake-cover-on-your-a4-or-s4
806100 4982 580x435

Haha many thanks again.

Us near mortals only get half an hour before edit function is locked don't we or am I incorrect? Plenty of times I would like to have gone back...
Near mortals... your at it again!!!!! :jump:

I nearly forgot my cheapest (sorry most affordable) mod/fix
The pesky armrest broken clip! This is the second one I have done this to, I simply screw two screws (short) into it to act as the clip and believe it or not it works perfectly if you screw them in the right place. It stays shut even in the upright position for more spirited driving (not as easy with the armrest down). Granted it isn't the best looking mod/fix but honestly you don't even notice it. Works out slightly cheaper (more affordable) than a new leather cover with clip intact...
I can't upload a photo, it says to big for server but it's only 2.2mb :sob:

Haha many thanks again.

I think it's a bit longer than half an hour but, but yes, the window of opportunity is limited; about two days, I think. Anyway, near (sic) mortal, keep me onside, and maybe I'll continue to oblige you. ;)

Last edited:
RS4 B7 HAND BRAKE HANDLE

Part number: 8E0 711 327 P8 UD (black perforated leather) £67

Cheaper option:
Standard handles re trimmed in perforated leather can be purchased from ebay for around £40. I did buy one but thought the finish was not as good as OEM so returned mine for a refund.

Fitting guide can be found here
http://nickscarblog.com/diy/how-to-install-a-perforated-audi-rs4-e-brake-cover-on-your-a4-or-s4
View attachment 51657
That's very nice, but not sure I'm ready to front up £67 for it. Might see if TPS can do it for less. But the other thing is, mine's an automatic, and the selecter handle is in non-perforated leather, which won't match.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="dodsie75, post: 2388797, member: 75877"
I can't upload a photo, it says to big for server but it's only 2.2mb :sob:[/QUOTE]

Save a smaller version, then try.

I nearly forgot my cheapest (sorry most affordable) mod/fix
The pesky armrest broken clip! This is the second one I have done this to, I simply screw two screws (short) into it to act as the clip and believe it or not it works perfectly if you screw them in the right place. It stays shut even in the upright position for more spirited driving (not as easy with the armrest down). Granted it isn't the best looking mod/fix but honestly you don't even notice it. Works out slightly cheaper (more affordable) than a new leather cover with clip intact...

no need to replace the full lid mate, here try this next time :icon thumright:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181662234829?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Reactions: jdp1962
[QUOTE="dodsie75, post: 2388797, member: 75877"

Save a smaller version, then try.[/QUOTE]
My photo is only 2.2mb and the maximum is 97.7mb.

I sense a group buy coming along if Tony mc approves!!! :idea:

Yeh no problems there buddy, if we could get them a bit cheaper I'll hold out on buying one.

Edit: just remembered i'm going to teesside audi tomorrow to pick up a part so i'll get onto them for a price and part number if any one wants to know a uk price

Last edited:
But your the guinea pig!!!! How will we know if it's any good? :meeting:
Lmao, ok let me see what price the stealers tell me tomorrow and I'll order one if they dont want £270 for one lol

Reactions: dodsie75
My wireless ELM327 gizmo has arrived. I haven't hooked it up to the car yet, but it has come with a mini CD-ROM. What should I do with the CD-ROM?

My wireless ELM327 gizmo has arrived. I haven't hooked it up to the car yet, but it has come with a mini CD-ROM. What should I do with the CD-ROM?
Looking at the description on ebay (for wifi version) its a setup cd....

"There is a freeware in the CD-ROM comes along with the device. You can use this piece of software to config and test the wifi OBO auto checker."

EDIT: Oh I've just noticed you said "mini". A mini CD-ROM should work as normal in your pc drive if that's why you're asking?

Last edited:
Looking at the description on ebay (for wifi version) its a setup cd....

"There is a freeware in the CD-ROM comes along with the device. You can use this piece of software to config and test the wifi OBO auto checker."

EDIT: Oh I've just noticed you said "mini". A mini CD-ROM should work as normal in your pc drive if that's why you're asking?
Ah, no, I know to put the disk in the pc. But how does it communicate with the device to check and configure it? Presumably, the device is inert until it's plugged into the car and powered up. So do I run the disk in my laptop in the car, and they talk to each other over wi-fi?

Last edited:
Ah, no, I know to put the disk in the pc. But how does it communicate with the device to check and configure it? Presumably, the device is inert until it's plugged into the car and powered up. So do I run the disk in my laptop in the car, and they talk to each other over wi-fi?
I would imagine its to set up the device you're using (phone or tablet) to talk with the device plugged into the car. I would just bang the disk in pc and see what comes up, I should come up with some instructions like please connect device.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine its to set up the device you're using (phone or tablet) to talk with the device plugged into the car. I would just bang the disk in pc and see what comes up, I should come up with some instructions like please connect device.
Will do. Oh, and it's not just you. I've just had to edit typos out of my own posts. ;)

hpaneps to the bset of poelpe at smoe pnoit in tmie, jsut smoe (me!) mroe tahn oehrts.

You konw its hredar to tpye lkie tihs tahn you tnhik :confused::confused::confused:

I just threw mine in the man draw. Who needs instructions?...

I just threw mine in the man draw. Who needs instructions?...
Agreed. I've ignored the disk, plugged the gizmo into the OBD port, switched the phone wi-fi on, opened up the EngineLink app I downloaded from iTunes, drove half a mile round the block, and it works! Bit of a gimick and most of the funtionality is already on the dash (speedo, tacho, water temp, but at least I have a boost gauge and live data on actual BHP and torque. Look forward to maxing it up the A2 just to see the readings. For £15, it's an amusing distraction.

Last edited:
Agreed. I've ignored the disk, plugged the gizmo into the OBD port, switched the phone wi-fi on, opened up the EngineLink app I downloaded from iTunes, drove half a mile round the block, and it works! Bit of a gimick and most of the funtionality is already on the dash (speedo, tacho, water temp, but at least I have a boost gauge and live data on actual BHP and torque. Look forward to maxing it up the A2 just to see the readings. For £15, it's an amusing distraction.
I totally agree. For £10-£15 it puts a smile on your face, does it really matter if it's 100% accurate??? Can you change the clock designs and backgrounds too? :icon thumright:

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree. For £10-£15 it puts a smile on your face, does it really matter if it's 100% accurate??? Can you change the clock designs and backgrounds too? :icon thumright:
Dunno. Will tinker more later. Have also downloaded a different app to the phone, OBD Doctor. It's free, so I'll play with that one too, see which one I prefer.

Now I just have to decide whether I risk leaving the dongle thingie plugged into the port, or remove it every time I switch off.

Dunno. Will tinker more later. Have also downloaded a different app to the phone, OBD Doctor. It's free, so I'll play with that one too, see which one I prefer.

Now I just have to decide whether I risk leaving the dongle thingie plugged into the port, or remove it every time I switch off.
Will your phone connect to it without the keys in the ignition? If not, that suggests to me it's not powered up therefore not draining the battery.

Will your phone connect to it without the keys in the ignition? If not, that suggests to me it's not powered up therefore not draining the battery.
It does, so yes the dongle will draw current without the keys in the ignition.

UPDATE.

now gents, right i've been over to my local audi dealers today to find out about the armrest latch. no joy from them i'm afraid as the part number that's on the latch it's self is for the hole top part of the armrest, total cost of £72. so i have ordered the one i linked on to here from ebay, that cost was £25.08 including p&p. once it arrives gents i'll try and get some pics of the fitting process and i'll stick on here as a 'how to' so if any one else fancy's having a crack at replacing theirs the info will be here for them.

cheers,

tony.

MUST HAVE VAG-COM MODS FOR B6 AND B7 AUDIS

Free if you have VCDS cable & software or know a man who does :)

Guide can be found here...
http://nickscarblog.com/cars/must-have-vag-com-mods-for-b6-and-b7-audis

If anyone with VCDS is within striking distance of Rugby I would like to try using the one touch door unlock, beer tokens readily available for your help :p

Reactions: Allyn78